Search results

1. DogBisquit

Circle of Fifths

I have not seen this information displayed this way. I believe it shows the relationship between the tones more concisely. I developed this about a year ago and my nephew has been encouraging me to let it loose into the wild, so here it is. I am interested in your reactions or corrections...
  2. DogBisquit

Loose Nut

I went to change the strings on the baritone and the nut fell off. I was about to grab the crazy-glue, but thought I'd check in with you guys. Is wood glue and a clamp the way to go? Is there a recommended brand I can pick-up at a major hardware store?
  3. DogBisquit

Give Me A Ukelele (sic)

I've been surfing around a favorite site of mine, and found a bunch of Tinpan Alley recordings from old 78's and wax cylinders. Here's a couple that I found from Archive.org featuring the ukulele, from the 20's: Give Me A Ukulele Show Me The Way To Go Home What A Life The reason this is a...
  4. DogBisquit

Ukulele in TV Commercials

I've noticed a ton of ukulele music in current television commercials. I've been keeping notes over the last week, and here's what I've found: Dell Inspiron Flipped (the movie) - Angel Eyes cover Best Buy - geek with every laptop Hamburger Helper - bonus box tops Subway - breakfast sandwich...
  5. DogBisquit

Local Luthier in the Desert Sun Newspaper

The local newspaper, The Desert Sun, ran an article featuring Jimmy "JP" Palmer of Guitar ER, in Palm Desert, California. Through the last few years I've come to rely on this guy for all of my repairs and set-ups. Outstanding workmanship! He's located inside Musicians Outlet, at 44850 San Pablo...
  6. DogBisquit

Click-Thru Advertising

I tried to search this first... Does UkuleleUnderground generate any revenue by users clicking on the advertisements on this site? I still think you need a "Donate" button on the homepage. Thanks again for everything!
  7. DogBisquit

Ukulele at Coachella Festival

In the last couple of years, bands that picked-up the ukulele include: Paul McCarney Noah and the Whale Rilo Kiley Beirut Amanda Palmer (of Dresden Dolls) I wonder how many will show-up this year? I remember a few years ago, when I kept running into accordions, thinking it was a conspiracy. I...
  8. DogBisquit

Kiri/Empress/Phoenix Wood

I was curious if anyone has had any experience with Kiri wood, also known as Empress or Phoenix? It is a highly renewable lumber-grade timber that reaches maturity in five years, and grows back quicker on subsequent generations from the old stump. Apparently it is used for stringed instruments...
  9. DogBisquit

Cleaning an Old Ukulele

Just came across an old Harmony tenor from the late 50's - early 60's. Apparently it had either been stuck to a wall or sitting in an attic uncovered for many years, because the thing is pretty dirty. I've tried searching the forum with very little success, and I looked at Aldrine's "Pimp Your...
  10. DogBisquit

Ukulele Podcast - KPFK

You (yes, you) have got to checkout this podcast. Apparently, they do it the last Thursday of every month. The only thing missing is a plug for UkuleleUnderground.com (edit: I am listening as I am writing) The last episode(9/24/09), includes mention of both UU and Dominator. Check it! KPFK...
  11. DogBisquit

Joshua Tree Roots Music Festival

This is what I'm doing this weekend: Joshua Tree Roots Music Festival It outside Joshua Tree National Park (California). I went to the one in May and had a great time, but that had a little more World Beat and Jam Band flavor. This one looks to be more Folk-Rock and Alt-Country. The grounds...
  12. DogBisquit

Martin Baritone

I inherited a Martin baritone from my Mom, but I can't seem to find much information on the instrument. It obvious that they don't make them anymore, so where can I get some insight on this uke? I've search the web and seen some pictures of others, but alas, this one has been modified. At some...
Top Bottom