Search results

1. ktuurna

Little break makes good!

I have been building ukuleles since 2016. Last spring I graduated as a luthier from the Ikaalinen College of Arts and Crafts. And guess what? I haven't built one since. There are a couple of reasons for that. The conditions in my workshop are a bit too humid in the summer and I wanted to take a...
  2. ktuurna

Almost scientific research, but not

This week I take four sopranos to our luthier school and try to research their differences by metering. I have one Martin S0 from -62, one diligently played Mexican made Martin S1 from 5 years ago, one Ken Timms cuban mahogany that I bought about year and half ago. For comparison I have also 3...
  3. ktuurna

Double back ukulele

German master luthier Tom Ziegenspeck has developed interesting construction. "This ukulele has a double back, which creates a tonal advantage. As a master plucking instrument maker, I can confirm that, especially with ukuleles, the back is an area which very little, if not at all, resonates...
  4. ktuurna

New tool of the day

I don't have too much space in my workshop. Every time when I need my go bar deck I have to lift it to a different table and run around the table while I work. Not any more!
  5. ktuurna

Useful tools

I made this troji. It helps when scraping and sanding sides. and I found these dentist tools from flea market. Very useful for cleaning glue etc. Mirror is handful when investigating inside instrument. I love to see how braces are made when I see new ukulele. I ordered one reasonable priced...
  6. ktuurna

Fret size

What size frets do you use in tenor ukes? I bought 3 years ago Anuenue Moon Bird tenor, and it has pretty fat braces. I like them a lot. They are very nice to play. I have use them too when I build tenors. I think I will use them in concert size too. What do you think fat frets? Yes or no and why?
  7. ktuurna

Resonator uke

I am building resonator uke. I have Gretsch G9112 ukulele and I open it to see how it is done. There is a cone which is probably made in China. I decided to use National's cone. I could buy Chinese, it is much cheaper, but I trust National's more. When I hold them in my hand I feel the...
  8. ktuurna

Dust collecting system

What is your solution for dust collecting? I ask it becouse mine is not very good or actually there is nothing but just one vacuum cleaner in my workshop. Now I am lying at hospital becouse of pneumonia. This makes me think again. I thought I will buy next new drum sander, but not any more. I...
  9. ktuurna

Glueing braces

I have use Titebond before, but I have heard that some builders use epoxy. I wonder why? Is it better for glueing braces?
  10. ktuurna

I am looking for internship.

I am looking for internship. I have studied ukulele building at community college and my own little workshop 4 years as a hobby. Now I have taken next step. I applied, got in and started two year luthier studies at Ikaalinen College of Crafts and Design. It is one and only luthier school in...
  11. ktuurna

Building ukuleles non-tropical wood

This projects is about acustic and classical guitars, but I think it is same with ukuleles. I found this very interesting. "The main goal of the Leonardo Guitar Research Project (LGRP) is to study, demonstrate and communicate the possibilities of building acoustic and classical guitars from...
  12. ktuurna

Red inlay?

I would like to do little red inlay to soundboard. Red like a cherry or strawberry. What material should I use? I prefer natural material.
  13. ktuurna

Renaissance Wax

Opinion about Renaissance Wax? Have you used it? What do you think? Good or bad?
  14. ktuurna

Left-Brain Lutherie

I found interesting book Left-Brain Lutherie by David "Kawika" Hurd. Has anybody here read it? I really like Kawika's way to think about ukulele building. No just dos or donts. Thats book is about trying to understand more about physics and engineering concepts as they are actually applied to...
  15. ktuurna

V-bracing

Has anybody made ukulele using V-bracing (like Taylor guitars)? I think it is intresting, and it maybe works with ukulele. I don't know, so I think I will do that with some modifications. What do you think?
  16. ktuurna

Use dentist mirror!

I bought ukulele (Ohana CK-28 Vintage Style Solid Mahogany Concert Ukulele) last April. It looks nice and sounds good. I am curious person and hobbist luthier and I want so see what is inside and I wanted to know how bracketing is made. When I look inside I realized that one brace is broken. I...
  17. ktuurna

My new Kasha-braced tenor project

Hi! I started my new tenor ukulele project. I want to make it using mostly Finnish ( oh yes, I am from Finland) materials. Sides, back and neck are alder (Alnus glutinosa) and soundboard is spruce (Picea abies). I will be Kasha-bracked and I will use Tenor Sized 14-Fret Ukulele Kasha-Braced plan...
Top Bottom