Search results

1. E

Arthritis derails my ukulele playing

Looking into the Biopro CMC implant. https://bioproimplants.com/portfolio-view/modular-thumb-implant
  2. E

I am considering the Biopro thumb implant option. https://bioproimplants.com/portfolio-view/modular-thumb-implant
  3. E

I have been moving away from the fluorocarbon strings. I put Aquila U10 (New Nylgut) strings on my Cordoba 23T after trying so many strings. The tension is lower snd the slightly fatter strings auses me to press less. It sounds perfect, and is easier to play. In fact, I like how it sounds...
  4. E

I think my ukulele playing days are over. My left thumb arthritis (CMC joint) derailed all my ukulele playing and practice since early January 2024. I treated the arthritis for about 2 years but it got progressively worse until it just got too painful to play. I'm lost without my ukulele...
  5. E

The Tenor is King

I was a tenor uke player from the beginning, then I bought a used Pono Concert ukulele (all solid mahogany) and it clicked. I had no problem with the Pono tenor.
  6. E

Am I lazy? Graded Repertoire for Classical - moving Greensleeves position

Classical guitar has too many methods, and each teacher creates a new method. Transferring CG methods directly to the ukulele just makes progress too difficult. The only person with CG background who takes a more graded approach is Samantha Muir. In fact, she just modified the Carulli...
  7. E

Ubass amp volume

There are 1 or 2 more but an hour drive each way. I am playing with a uke group at the South Wayne Porchfest this Sunday, 9/24, located in the NW suburbs of Philadelphia. The variety of bands, styles, genres is interesting.
  8. E

Ubass amp volume

Update: I went back to the same group today and the same ubass player was there playing loud. He plays fills and runs and riffs like he is Stanley Clarke. There were 10 uke players and the ukes were drowned out. I talked with the leader but he doesn't have an issue with bass volume he is...
  9. E

Uke Jam/Club Monday Strum Session - Suncoast Sand Fleas - Nokomis Beach (Venice) Florida

I miss you all. We used to house and dog sit the month of September and I found this group to be completely welcoming and supportive.
  10. E

Learning to read standard notation - need easy sheet music

The progress is fine. I'm using the Curt Sheller ukulele sight reading book, which amazingly is the only one out there. I also bought a violin e-book on sight reading (just $2.99) and converting the notation from GDAE to GCEA. Writing out music notation is a major positive step forward...
  11. E

To learn the vocal/lead line and add some variations to the chord progressions, strumming or fingerpicking. Nothing to do with chord melody, which is an advanced talent. Sight reading discussions seems to scare some people. Reminds of the joke, how do you stop a guitarist playing, put sheet...
  12. E

I started to sightread from "Fiddling Tune Book" from Mel Bay. The range of notes is very close to high G and low G ukulele. The songs are in ukulele keys. This will keep me busy for awhile. I also started to create some study sheets for sightreading. I had good reading skills when I studied...
  13. E

Any sites with just standard notation, no tab? Ed
  14. E

This thread has been dormant for about 2 years but I'll post an update. As one who played classical guitar I developed very basic sightreading skills and wanted to acquire the same skills for GCEA ukulele. I can recommend a book on sightreading on Curt Sheller's learning website...
  15. E

Would this cause anyone else stress?

Thank you, Ed
  16. E

Would this cause anyone else stress?

Is this the top, soundboard or a closeup of a bridge?
  17. E

Ubass amp volume

That's what I fear, everybody amped up.
  18. E

Ubass amp volume

Went to a ukulele meetup today and the ubass amp volume overpowered most of the acoustic ukuleles. I could barely hear my own uke. Plus the guy was constantly noodling between songs. Anyone else finding ubass amp volume overpowering the acoustic ukuleles? Ed
  19. E

Your Travis Picking journey

After flip-flopping between high G. low G (gCEA), low D and high D (Baritone) for about 5 years, I've settled on standard high G on my new (used, like new) Pono concert Ukulele. So I'm setting aside some time daily to work on Travis Picking. Playing on a gCEA ukulele, some people alternate...
  20. E

Looking for Travis picking songbook

This point came up a couple times but I didn't address it. I want to learn the basics of Travis picking to gain more coordination with left fretting fingerings sequence and right hand picking sequences. I first worked on one pattern then added 2 or 3 chord progressions and noticed I needed...
Top Bottom