Search results

1. Doc_J

Yet another build started, .... a de Houtwinkel baritone

It's getting closer to being shipped. Gotoh UPT's and strings are installed. Strings are still stretching out.
  2. Doc_J

French polish finish is complete and the bridge is on. It just needs tuners and strings. Looking forward to playing it.
  3. Doc_J

The first coat of French polish really made the figure of the cocobolo pop!
  4. Doc_J

My understanding is that the back bracing used in this build contributes to the overall sound box vibration. So, it makes the back more "active". "active" is how the luthier described this back bracing. The more interesting bracing design on this uke is the V-Class style top bracing. I...
  5. Doc_J

Thanks Jon. Builder’s decision on the 9th vs 10th fret marker. I mostly just use the 7th and 12th markers. Favilla baritones have a 9th marker instead of 10th. Guess the difference is if a player or builder is primarily a uke or guitar player.
  6. Doc_J

Another step closer to a finished uke. Daryl, completed the bridge. It fits well with the overall design. This bridge will have through holes for a clean look and good structural attachment.
  7. Doc_J

Pet pictures time, people!

My 2 dogs were adopted from local rescue organizations. Vivienne was rescued as pup because she was born with a hernia (expensive operation). Oreo was adopted at age 8, after her first owner got Alzheimer’s.
  8. Doc_J

Any Kepasa Fans?

I have played 3 different Kepasa ukes, a mahogany Josephine soprano, a spruce top Middlesex concert, and a Gypsy Rose (Selmer-Maccaferri style) tenor. All Very nicely built ukes with a quality sound. I’ve been eyeing his grand baritone ukes for a while. I hope Kevin is well and continues to...
  9. Doc_J

Frets are installed, ready for leveling, beveling, and polishing. Daryl got the fret work completed. There’s still some neck carving/profiling and bridge making to be done before the final sanding and finishing can be done.
  10. Doc_J

The fretboard and head plate are Macassar ebony.
  11. Doc_J

Curly mango fret markers are in.
  12. Doc_J

Curly mango binding, cocobolo heel cap and cocobolo sapwood end graft.
  13. Doc_J

Ready to be bound.
  14. Doc_J

Body is just about ready for binding.
  15. Doc_J

Strings Show us your string-changing kit

Mine is pretty simple.
  16. Doc_J

Daryl selected the V-form top bracing pattern based on my particular sound objectives (clarity, volume, warmth, even responsiveness over the strings, ... ). I'm impressed with his luthier knowledge and skills. Daryl has been great asking me about preferences, giving recommendations, and...
  17. Doc_J

The sound box is together!
  18. Doc_J

The back is together with its active bracing. The swirling figure of the cocobolo is gorgeous.
  19. Doc_J

NUD: Beansprout Baritone - Redwood/Walnut

Gorgeous uke! What a nice clean look. Elegant in the focus on walnut and redwood. Sounds wonderful too! Congratulations. It will only improve as you play it.
  20. Doc_J

The top bracing has been shaped for a responsive top, and the back is close to where we want it. Daryl will thin down the center sapwood a little to pull in more of the wonderful outside cocobolo curls.
Top Bottom