Search results

1. Tsani

Anticipation...International shipping...

Jane Austen said that anticipation is “..that sanguine expectation of happiness which is happiness itself”. If so, I ought be absolutely delirious with joy. I bought an Excelsius (Antonio Pinto Carvalho - APC) soprano ukulele on June 18th. It is one month to the day later and the ukulele (a gift...
  2. Tsani

Teaching kids: best book? best uke?

We are considering doing free musical instruction clinics or camps in rural areas of Central America. I would like advice on what instructional books would be the best to use - and we may have kids all the way down to 1st grade/pre-school level. At present we can look at English language books...
  3. Tsani

Outdoor Ukulele Torture Test - Belize

Last week I was in Belize to do a service project in a remote village. My son came with me and we took two ukes. We took my Aloha soprano and an Outdoor Ukulele that was loaned to me by haolejohn. We put the Outdoor Ukulele through the following tests and we can report that instrument survived...
  4. Tsani

Pedalling for Papua

Hey there folks, please support this guy in a very important cause as he cycles and plays ukulele across Canada. Learn about the indigenous people and the land of West Papua. Precious resources, both human and environmental, are in peril. Educate yourself on the issues and give Jeremy some...
  5. Tsani

The Outdoor Ukulele Torture Test, Belize Edition - #1

Introducing the Outdoor Ukulele Torture Test. In cooperation with haolejohn, I am testing the Outdoor Ukulele in the tropical conditions of Belize, in Central America. This is the introductory video. More to follow. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_Tlpy2h-jw&feature=youtu.be
  6. Tsani

Excelsius: The Uke is in the Mail...

I just bought an Excelsius/APC soprano for my son. I was pleased with the reputation and skill that is evident in the instruments made by Antonio Pinto Carvalho, and by the sound of the Excelsius in videos by WS64. The version I bought is Australian Blackwood (acacia) rather than European acacia...
  7. Tsani

Acoustic-Electric Conversion

OK, so I am trying to turn a tragedy into an opportunity here. My son tripped and fell on his Koa Pili Koko. The soundboard is a total loss. So now that the box is open, I am thinking, what if I convert this to acoustic-electric? I have several questions: 1. Since we are going electric, how...
  8. Tsani

Ovation "Copies"?

Have you guys seen the Ovation copies coming out of China that are going for cheap on ebay? I am assuming that Ovation has no ability to do anything about it since if they continue they will undercut Ovation's sales. :uhoh: Has anybody tried one, and are they reliable for sound and intonation...
  9. Tsani

Playing in Church

OK, I play my uke (Epiphone "Less" Paul :rolleyes:) in church on Sunday mornings as part of our semi-contemporary praise and worship band. Is anybody else out there doing this? If so, we should put our heads together on the challenges and joys of playing "church music" on the ukulele. Maybe I'm...
  10. Tsani

Giannini Baritone - Are they good?

I have a Favilla Baritone, and I may be spoiled. I am shopping for another baritone for my son. We are working on playing classical duets and sometimes he plays the baritone part and I play the soprano, and on some pieces we switch. I want him to have a baritone uke of his own to practice with...
  11. Tsani

Reasonable Use?

What constitutes reasonable use for copyright? I am working on playing a duet and rather than photocopy the music so that the other guy could practice, I bought a 2nd book. Am I conscientious or stupid? :confused:
  12. Tsani

Best Uke Capo?

I am looking for a capo to use on my concert uke that I play in church with our praise band. I am often called on to make quick key changes, so I need a good capo that goes on quickly and silently. I prefer something like a "Kyser" that uses a spring and "clothes pin" type action. The one I use...
  13. Tsani

Belcat I 3U Mini Amp

I am planning to take a trip to latin America this summer to do some volunteer work and help with the building of a school. We will also be working with kids and I will be part of a music team. I normally play my Epiphone Les Paul in church and we have all the amplification we need. However, if...
  14. Tsani

Black Kala Archtop not available in U.S.?

I have been shopping for the all black version of the Kala Archtop, the KA-JTE BK. I find lots of them in the UK and in the EU, but none in the U.S. I wonder why this is? The number of them for sale in the UK indicates that they must be still in production, or at least there must be a decent...
  15. Tsani

Bach BWV 227, Jesu meine Freude

OK, this is my first attempt at trying to accompany myself in a duet on video. I am using a crude freeware video editor, so there are some drawbacks. I cannot hear the other part while I am playing, so pacing can be a problem. There are some rocky bits. I also wanted to layer the video so that...
  16. Tsani

Lanikai LU-21CE Rate It

Anybody got experience with the Lanikai LU-21CE? I am looking at acoustic-electrics. I am a bit picky about intonation. The notes have gotta be there. I am not just a strummer, most of my playing is picking, so bad sound makes me unhappy. If you have one, or have played one - let me know how...
  17. Tsani

Gig Bag for Wide Lower Bout

Hey guys, I bought one of the tenors with F holes that come under a variety of names. I have seen them as "Sojing", "Gitano", "Harmonia" - and mine is a "Maestro". Whatever. They are all the same uke. Anyway - the lower bout is 11 inches across. That is too wide for most of the gig bags I have...
  18. Tsani

Gig bag Computer Backpack?

Hey guys (and gals), here I go again, looking for something that might not exist. Or maybe it almost exists. I often commute with my ukulele(s). I have practice time in the evening at work after the place gets empty and quiet. But transporting my precious ukes, and carrying them in and out of...
  19. Tsani

Ukulele Method Book for Fingerstyle with Standard Notation

I think I am asking for something that doesn't exist. I am studying classical music on the uke with a classical guitar instructor. I want to learn standard notation so I can read music and make my own arrangements from classical guitar sheet music. He is asking me to find a "method book" that...
  20. Tsani

Zarabanda Francesa #1 by Gaspar Sanz

My first vid in awhile. Not exactly like I intended it. I wanted it to flow better and be more lyrical, but it is what it is... The composer is baroque Spanish master of the lute and guitar, Gaspar Sanz. The arrangement is by Rob McKillop.
Top Bottom