Search results

1. J

Tuning a guitar/lele like a reentrant uke w/ bass strings

That's a bit different from what I suggested (a high G in your tuning), but thanks. There's some similarity in that to the standard reentrant uke tuning, with a high note sounding in the beginning and end of an every-string chord.
  2. J

I know that the continuity would be lost, but so is the case with reentrant uke anyway. Hence my original characterization: a reentrant uke with bass strings on top. Of course the playing would be different, as the bass strings would habe to be taken into consideration (dodged or played). I'm...
  3. J

Yep, something of a bass thing. I'm not really a guitar player, so I'm still picturing the opportunities. I have a spanish guitar that I would like to play though, with some classical/spanish techniques, individual strings etc. Someone on YouTube had gone even further and installed uke bass...
  4. J

Has anyone tried tuning a guitar uke-style reentrant, that is, lifting the 4th string an octave up, ending up at E-A-d-G-B-E? Or a smaller scale guitar/guitalele even as A-D-g-C-E-A? Any thoughts? I figured it might be like playing a reentrant uke that has 2 bass strings as extra, for single...
  5. J

Updating mics for electric uke (Clearwater/Vorson)

Updating pickups for electric uke (Clearwater/Vorson) I'm quite a newbie to electric ukes, but I do find my Clearwater's other mic as sounding bad. It might be technically fine - it's not buzzing or breaking up - I suppose I just dislike the sound. Might be a bad quality mic, wiring, shielding...
  6. J

Electric uke neck relief (truss rod adjustment)

I couldn't find specific discussion about how much neck relief do people set up for their electric ukes' necks. The electric guitar general guideline is to have less than 0.3 mm in between the lowest part of the heaviest string and the fret that's halfway, when pressing down on the 1st and 12th...
  7. J

Bridge design vs. soundboard

Sorry, reposting here a thread from the Uke talk forum (I didn't remember there's this forum too): https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?149269-Bridge-design-vs-soundboard Anyway: I was talking to a local luthier, and I was wondering why he had designed a slotted bridge for his...
  8. J

Bridge design vs. soundboard

I was talking to a local luthier, and I was wondering why he had designed a slotted bridge for his ukes. I suggested a tie-bar style, so that I could fit a Kna UK-1 pick-up on it. He said the slot style can be designed so slim and as such less surface and mass hindering the vibrations of the...
  9. J

Tuning down a (re-entrant) concert (with tenor strings?)

I'm curious about how a concert body responds to a lower tuning, preferrably re-entrant. Has anyone got positive experiences with a lower tuning? I know some people do the low G with concerts too. I'm quite happy with the concert strings tension. Would tenor strings do the trick, or even thicker...
  10. J

Pairing ukulele sonically with baritone guitar / mandocello

I have been thinking, whether an uke and a baritone guitar would sound nice together? There'd be a couple of octaves of gap - similar to that of guitar and bass guitar and often a pianist's left and right hand. It also intrigues me that one can play chords with a baritone guitar, giving more...
  11. J

Chord melody range vs uke range

Do you often feel limited by uke's range when it comes to chord melodies? A specific example is of a high g uke and an untransposed singing melody that has the C4 or so as the lowest note. I run into such melodies very often, sometimes even a few notes lower, and I've gathered the C4 is a...
  12. J

Using an E-string as a low A string?

Using an E-string as a low A (and high G) string? I'm playing a song that needs a low A string as the 4th. I don't have a low-G uke, but I can play it with a sloppy high G-string. I was thinking though, whether it would be wiser to restring so that I'd take an E string from a set and put that...
  13. J

Closed vs. open chord voicings

How open chord voicings do you do and why? Can you also specify, is it with low or high 4th string?
  14. J

Reentrant players: Would you tune your tenor _guitar_ reentrant?

This has been touched in some other thread maybe, but I think only in the guitar section. I would guess it leaves out many only uke players, and this is a fair question to them too. Do you think reentrant tuning (basic uke style) would work as well with a "uke+ scale", that is a tenor guitar or...
  15. J

What to avoid in an amp, when one has a preamp (LR Baggs Venue)

I tried looking but was unable to really get a grasp. If one has a high quality preamp with good EQ and feedback killing tools, like the LR Baggs Venue, does the investment sort of save money in another place, when buying an amp? Effects and loops, several channels etc. are another thing, but...
  16. J

D6 re-entrant baritone

For me it would make sense to have a baritone tuned a-D-F#-B (high A, if you will). It would give the best of both worlds: lowest possible note that the baritones are designed for and re-entrantness. And the same "standard" shapes would work. Anyone tried one? Would probably need a newly...
  17. J

1st and 4th strings compensated similarly on saddle

Sorry for the flooding, but I posted a topic on the buying tips section, and it also includes some tech questions. It's about intonation and identical 1st and 4th string compensation (and finding strings that fit)...
  18. J

1st and 4th strings compensated similarly on saddle

I have a Flight Juliana concert, which has a compensated (bone) saddle. The compensations of the 1st and the 4th string seem identical. Does this suppose that the string set should have a similar gauge 1st and 4th string, if one wants to keep the intonation good? As per the manufacturer's...
  19. J

Aloha from (another) uker from Finland!

Hi, all! I have been playing for about four months now. I'd say the uke is my first instrument. I did buy a plastic trombone (with a silver mouthpiece) for my 30th birthday, but I didn't realize it made too loud a sound for apartment building playing. Until I find a better spot to play, I...
  20. J

C tuned an octave high by accident!

Sorry for flooding, but I wasn't sure if this was a more proper a forum for asking about making a stupid tuning mistake, so I put it in the beginners' forum. Maybe reply there: https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?141110-C-tuned-an-octave-high-by-accident!&p=2175940#post2175940...
Top Bottom