Search results

1. Sporky

Bending iron

Are you trying to bend sides or are you trying to go to the moon? :P
  2. Sporky

Work has begun on Sporkulele #2

The extraordinary event that the world has been waiting for... Sporkulele #2 is in the works! I had the last exam of my degree last Friday and I jumped into lutherie immediately after. I've been eager to have another go since the minute I finished #1. But that's not all - #3 is ALSO in the...
  3. Sporky

[SOLD]: Rebel Crème Brûlée Concert - [Canada]

Well that sold crazy fast. To a gentleman in Edmonton. Goodbye Rebel, until next time
  4. Sporky

[SOLD]: Rebel Crème Brûlée Concert - [Canada]

Hi fellow ukulovers, I've decided to part with this little wonder of an ukulele. With the crazy semester I've had, learning lutherie, and moving, it has essentially not been played, and I could use the money. I got it in November from HMS, with two black strap buttons. The model number is 2195...
  5. Sporky

Metal as inlay material

Thx for the ressource, I'll have to see about Canada shipping! Is there a particular gauge that you prefer? What's thin enough without being too thin to hold up while cutting and too thin to survive leveling? How do you guys seal with CA to get a thin level surface? Do you use particularly low...
  6. Sporky

Finally - My New Music Room is Finished!

Most impressive. Congrats George, happy for you 🙂
  7. Sporky

Moisture content of sides post-bending

For my 2nd ukulele I'm trying to let the wood equilibrate a bit more before cutting/gluing. I'm curious though, when bending the sides I'm varying the moisture content wildly with vapor/heat - do you guys leave the bent sides to re-equilibrate for a while before assembly?
  8. Sporky

Metal as inlay material

Curious about people's experiences using metal for inlaying. Copper, silver, brass mainly - fairly soft, could be cut with jeweller's saw, but I have no idea about potential tarnishing issues? Would they react with certain finishes even when 'sealed'? Also, I don't know where to search to...
  9. Sporky

One-piece vs two-piece backs and soundboards

Given that acoustic/classical guitar tonewoods are much more readily available, (certainly in Canada), sometimes one of the options seems to be buying a large guitar set and making two ukulele out of it. Any thoughts on that? What about using one half of a guitar top/back as a one-piece for the...
  10. Sporky

Kanile’a 2022 Platinum

The 2021 Platinum really spoke to me aesthetically. I love it. Blingy but woody and I thought classy. This new one, total miss for me. I don't think the waterfall even looks good, more like a cartoon than the more stained glass art style that I like. I don't love the Moore Bettah inlay either...
  11. Sporky

Chatoyance, is it in the grains or in the finishing?

It's part of the wood grain, and in a straight grained sample it can be easy to see the effect of cut orientation; for example the quartersawn surface of mahogany is the one with beautiful chatoyant 'stripes'. The type of finish brings it out more or less, but doesn't 'produce' it. The...
  12. Sporky

Check out this Bruko

"Front and back panel seperation. Otherwise the ukulele is in nice condition." 😂🤣
  13. Sporky

NUD: I made an ukulele!

Thanks George. Dust management is key and not easy without a proper setup. And you need a sturdy stable surface, like my kitchen counter or a non-wobbly table. For the dust I constantly used my strong handheld vacuum, and kept my large (400-500 sq ft) HEPA filter in the kitchen the whole time...
  14. Sporky

Thank you! The Ryobi... Is good for what it is - a compact, cheap beginner's band saw. I got mine for 148$ CAD on sale and I'm totally satisfied with that. There are a few extra setup steps that aren't mentioned in the manual which are important, like squaring the table to the blade...
  15. Sporky

I've been wanting to try woodworking for a long time, and especially lutherie since I discovered ukulele a little over a year ago. Living in an apartment and having no tools was really discouraging but over the holidays I decided to just do it anyway. I got a drill, the cheapest band saw I could...
  16. Sporky

Intentionally Weak Glue, What can be Used?

That is damn good advice, thanks for putting it into words. Somehow it hadn't clicked in my mind but looking back now that is exactly what happened a couple of times.
  17. Sporky

The Guitalele, Mini, Kiku, Ukitar, Guilele, "Six course small bodied instruments" thread

I've been using Daddario xtc classical nylon strings on my B6 and it's great. Extra hard for EE, hard for GG, normal for AA (though I haven't tried that last option yet). The nylon strings do take ages to settle but are so expressive. I think 21in would be the ideal scale length for EE...
  18. Sporky

Intentionally Weak Glue, What can be Used?

I think that there is a synthetic alternative to hide glue with similar properties and able to come undone with heat. Actually I would like to try that. I'm making my first ukulele right now and using wood glue.
  19. Sporky

Bending iron

Yes I just properly bent the sides for my 1st ukulele today! My new setup is a 190W heating cartridge (16$ for 5-pack) in a pipe (24$) with a dimmer (17$). I start it on max to heat up then turn it down to the minimum on the dimmer (50%). For the pipe I got a stainless steel 'sanitary spool'...
Top Bottom