Search results

1. Mr Slaters Parrot

The Case Thread

Reviving this thread for advice on buying a good hardshell case for my Koaloha Tenor. After dropping it in its "hardshell" case on the driveway today (nothing broken, whew!) I poked around inside the case to find that the bottom is really no more than a thin piece of plywood with some fuzzy...
  2. Mr Slaters Parrot

Recent thoughts on Strumstick?

I spoke to the player after the concert. I asked her about tuning and she said hers was G-C-G with one G an octave above. I don't see where McNally sells an instrument with that tuning out of the box, but maybe some can be set up that way.
  3. Mr Slaters Parrot

Why does the Merlin have three strings and four tuning gears on the head?
  4. Mr Slaters Parrot

I'm thinking about picking up Strumstick, the three-string diatonic scale version, after hearing one played in a bluegrass band. Most of the threads on this instrument are years to a decade old. So, any more recent thoughts about whether this instrument would be a good/fun addition to a ukulele...
  5. Mr Slaters Parrot

Steel Ukulele Strings

I don't do a lot of picking so I am not the best to judge intonation up the fretboard but I did check it out with a chromatic tuner when I first go it, and it seemed to go a little sharp on the way up, but probably close enough. The strings are still settling too so that might be a factor. I...
  6. Mr Slaters Parrot

Steel Ukulele Strings

Yes, sure, but keep in mind, I'm a bit of a duffer on the instrument. A more serious player would probably have more in-depth comments. In terms of construction they are a bit on the crude side, but they do the important thing, which is play well and the look is eye-catching especially if you...
  7. Mr Slaters Parrot

Steel Ukulele Strings

It's hollow body, but otherwise, yes, it's made for steel, though I suppose it's still possible to break the neck or bridge by stringing it too tight. So I want to make sure I get the right ones. I believe this is the middle four of a "super light" guitar set, sometimes called "eights" for the...
  8. Mr Slaters Parrot

Steel Ukulele Strings

It's different for sure. I thought the biggest difference would be in the fretting, but it turns that the challenge is more in the strumming. I'm used to attacking nylon strings to get volume but that doesn't go so well with steel and really not necessary with a magnetic pickup. I mostly strum...
  9. Mr Slaters Parrot

Steel Ukulele Strings

Thanks, I'll do that one of these days. For now I feel like I need a backup set. Any recommendations for brands?
  10. Mr Slaters Parrot

Steel Ukulele Strings

Might one of the two left-over strings work? I suppose I could also trying tightening up the A-string on the instrument to G and see how that feels (grimacing all the way). Hauling it into a guitar shop is a good idea, We also have a good ukulele shop locally but they probably won't know as much...
  11. Mr Slaters Parrot

Steel Ukulele Strings

The maker has since responded to my question and said he uses very light guitar strings, 2-3-4-5. I assume 2 corresponds to the A string. So what string would I use for the G if I wanted reentrant tuning?
  12. Mr Slaters Parrot

Steel Ukulele Strings

Thanks, are those numbers the gages? Apologies for the ignorance but this is new to me. Lighter definitely better than heavier at this point.
  13. Mr Slaters Parrot

Steel Ukulele Strings

Aloha all. Longtime lurker. I haven't been able to find an answer to this question anywhere so I am now officially a non-lurker. I recently bought an electric tenor ukulele from Honni in Australia. If you don't know these instruments they are hollow-body semi-custom with dual pickups, one of...
Top Bottom