Search results

1. SleepyheadRooster

Looks like Eastman ukes are back

I remember when Eastman acoustic guitars came out many years ago. In the early days they had some significant quality issues mostly due to finishes cracking and flaking off. But they solved those problems. Since then their quality seems to just keep getting better. I teach with a very basic...
  2. SleepyheadRooster

Pending Lattice braced Rosewood and Torrified Spruce Tenor

I’ll buy it. 😀 PM on the way.
  3. SleepyheadRooster

Kamaka Factory Repair/Restoration Reviews

Interesting. I’m more guitarist. I know people love vintage, but I think the Nazareth, PA Martin line is as good or better than ever. I own three wonderful USA Martin guitars made in the last 20 years, and I have no interest in paying a premium for vintage. But I have no experience with...
  4. SleepyheadRooster

Kamaka Factory Repair/Restoration Reviews

This is so frustrating. I had a local luthier (I won’t name) who has a great reputation reset the neck on a cherished Martin guitar. When I arrived to pick it up, the strings were rattling against the fretboard. He had to keep the guitar another week to fix it. But it was completely unacceptable...
  5. SleepyheadRooster

Zager guitar objective review

Thanks for your review and willingness to give the guitar a chance. However, I have a couple observations. “Strings are .008 - .042 i.e extra light” That’s not normal for an acoustic guitar. In fact, those strings are light even by most electric guitarists’ standards. I simply don’t believe...
  6. SleepyheadRooster

No longer available Pono Kalele Mahogany Baritone for tenor

Sorry. I ended up keeping this because I had a student contact me about baritone lessons. Lessons are going well, and for now I’m not planning to sell or trade it.
  7. SleepyheadRooster

How many ukuleles are too many ukuleles?

I love that the thread currently following this one in Uke Talk is titled “Quadruple New Uke Day”. The Universe is in tune.
  8. SleepyheadRooster

Is "cowboy chords" a derogatory term?

Right. But Herb played a particular style of jazz that emphasized closed position chords and scales. It was very specific to styles of jazz in the same way that playing in open tunings are used in a specific way for Hawaiian Slack Key or blues slide guitar. I’d bet money Herb knew his cowboy...
  9. SleepyheadRooster

Is "cowboy chords" a derogatory term?

It’s just a term to describe the chords you need to be a recreational player. A cowboy (like many of us) would need a few chords to play songs around the campfire after working all day. There is nothing elitist about acknowledging the difference between a recreational pursuit and more serious...
  10. SleepyheadRooster

Anyone played a new Oli uke?

This thread is really getting me interested in this topic. I’m getting more and more interested in playing classical music and chord melody on a tenor ukulele. Here is another decent summary of the differences in classical guitars...
  11. SleepyheadRooster

Sold Pono MGT Mango tenor

I have this model as my only gCEA uke right now. It’s a really beautiful sounding instrument, and I don’t think I’ll ever get rid of mine. It’s not the loudest uke on the block, but it’s very musical and works equally well for strumming and fingerstyle playing.
  12. SleepyheadRooster

Pono Master Series vs Pro Classic

Somehow, I now own three Pono ukuleles and no others. I’m just really impressed with this company. I really don’t mind them changing their models. As long as they make great ukuleles at good price points while conducting what appears to be responsible/ethical manufacturing, I’m going to be a...
  13. SleepyheadRooster

I just updated this post and title to reflect the fact that I really don’t want a concert. Tenor is really the only uke size I play. The ideal trade would be a Pono Kalele Mahogany Tenor - the little brother of this one. That said, I’m open to other ideas and I can add some cash for the right...
  14. SleepyheadRooster

New Oli' line on HMS

Am I understanding that these are made by the same people who make Pono, and that the label itself is very closely tied to Ko’olau, Pono, and HMS? Not a complaint. In fact, I think very highly of all these folks. It’s just that the name on the instrument almost seems beside the point to me...
  15. SleepyheadRooster

Banjo in my future I think

A good friend is building me a walnut open back banjo for clawhammer. This will be his eighth one, and I’m really impressed with his work. I don’t think he is interested in doing bluegrass banjos though. I used to have a Deering Goodtime. I wish I’d kept it. One time I drove down into a rough...
  16. SleepyheadRooster

To Keep, or Not to Keep?

I think your minimalism (?) is admirable. I used to be more like you, and I should get back to it. That said, you don’t have to be a purist. You like this uke, and it has a place in your heart. It’s just an object, but I think you should keep it. I think you’ll miss it. If you need to...
  17. SleepyheadRooster

Are you tenor or soprano?

When I began my uke journey years ago, I had two concerts. I ended up selling those (mistakes) and had just one tenor for most of a decade. I always figured I would eventually get all 4 sizes, but now I have realized I really only need tenors (two Pono, for now). I wouldn’t mind a concert or...
  18. SleepyheadRooster

Thanks. No. I have a couple Pono tenors I’m happy playing. This one was supposed to be for teaching a specific student, and I thought eventually I would maybe add others. But I just prefer guitar in this frequency range, and I like the contrast when I play my tenor ukuleles.
  19. SleepyheadRooster

I’d still prefer a trade for a concert or tenor, but I lowered the cash price to $300. Still local only. Thanks! 🎶
Top Bottom