Search results

1. Liam Ryan

Stump Jump Ukulele Co. Website

Hi all. I just wanted to let you all know that after a whole lot of hard work my website is now fully functioning. Please feel free to visit it: http://stumpjumpukulele.com Any and all critiquing is most welcome, especially spelling and other grammar/syntax errors that can be hard to spot when...
  2. Liam Ryan

Milo Resonator on the go

In amongst house renovations and website building I'm biting off more than I can chew and starting a new pair of tenor resonators. There's an all Tassie Blackwood with rope bindings one as well as this Milo reso. I got this very nice milo from Brett at curlykoatonewoods.com. Apparently it's a...
  3. Liam Ryan

Question regarding trimming bindings

Has anyone got an ingenious method to trim bindings to width/height (not thickness, that's done in the sander)? At the moment I just hold them in one hand and run a block plane down them in small increments. Not accurate and a PITA. While we're at it, what about celluloid bindings? Can they be...
  4. Liam Ryan

Spalted Resonator

I posted this in the luthier's lounge a couple of days ago but am pleased as punch with it and want as many people to see it as possible. I hope the mods don't mind. I've been very busy lately building a website and learning photo editing but have somehow found time to complete another...
  5. Liam Ryan

Spalted Resonator

I've been very busy lately building a website and learning photo editing but have somehow found time to complete another resonator uke. This is a tenor scale resonator uke featuring: Cone: National Body woods: Spalted white cedar Neck: Spanish Cedar Fretboard: Curly Aust. blackwood Bindings...
  6. Liam Ryan

Hot off the bench: Ziricote and Spruce tenor

Introducing the latest Brown Birds Ukulele off the bench. It's a tenor scale in Ziricote and Spruce with Ebony fretboard and moustache bridge.
  7. Liam Ryan

Brace Shaping Plane

I got this little plane with the intent to make a dedicated brace shaping plane. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mini-Ebony-Japanese-Bench-Plane-KJ9001-055-/121057690449?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2f99c351#ht_2891wt_984 I pretty much eye balled the angle to suit the brace dimensions I use...
  8. Liam Ryan

Violin Pegs

Without getting into a debate on their merits, What size of violin pegs are used on ukuleles? I'm having a bear of a time finding dimensions on the relative sizes of violin pegs.
  9. Liam Ryan

Cigar Box Reso

This is not your average cigar box ukulele. It features the highest quality National Resophonic cone and biscuit, giving the instrument a more subtle sound, without the harshness of the inferior Chinese made resonator cones.
  10. Liam Ryan

Hand Crafted Banjo Uke.

Here's some shots of my latest banjo uke off the bench. It's a tenor scale in Silky Oak (Lacewood for the North Americans) and Indian Rosewood. The head is goat skin, tacked on in the style of mid-nineteenth century banjos. The tone is more mild and subdued than a super-torqued up bluegrass...
  11. Liam Ryan

Resonator Soundwells

I had a question on how to build reso soundwells and figured I might as well put it in here so it can be of use to others. Ok, first of all there's very little info out there on how to build a reso uke. Almost all reso ukes are modeled after biscuit bridge resonator guitars. Research them to...
  12. Liam Ryan

Banjo Ukulele

Here's a tenor scale banjo uke I've just completed. It's inspired by mid-nineteenth century minstel banjos Built from Western Red Cedar and Indian Rosewood. I can't put the damn thinbg down
  13. Liam Ryan

Black & White Ebony Resophonic Tenor

Here is a resophonic tenor I've had strung up for a few days now. It features Bear Claw Spruce top with Black & White Ebony B&S, fretboard and headstock overlays. The National cone is sweet sounding without the harshness that some of the import reso's can have. The Ebony and Maple rope...
  14. Liam Ryan

Rope Bindings

Are an absolute pain in the backside to make but boy do they look nice.
  15. Liam Ryan

Undercutting fret tangs

I just trimmed the tang back on a set of frets to allow for the fingerboard bindings. I used a dremel cut off wheel then a mill file. It took far longer than I wanted it to. I know the guitar guys use a tool that trims the tang off. I think I've heard that the trimmer doesn't work on the...
  16. Liam Ryan

curlykoatonewoods

Just wanted to thank Brett for the curly soprano sets purchased from him on Ebay. Very nice product and extremely good customer service. The sets will make very nice ukuleles. Can't wait to see more sets up on Ebay. Brett's website is here: http://www.curlykoatonewoods.com/ Thanks Brett.
  17. Liam Ryan

buffing fret ends

Usually I use several grades of wet&dry wrapped around the end of my finger to buff the fret ends. Without fail I'd get a blister on my finger. Not happy I noticed on one of the Mya-Moe vids, Gordon uses a finger nail buffer to buff the ends after they're shaped. So I went looking on ebay and I...
  18. Liam Ryan

How do you cut your f holes?

So? How do you cut them?
  19. Liam Ryan

Resonators Ahoy!

Coming Soon
Top Bottom