Search results

1. F

Humidity and dehumidifiers.

My shop is 4000 cu. ft. The average relative humidity in the shop is around 58% +/- 5%. My desire is to lower and maintain the RH to ~45%. I know that temperature and dew point are also a factor. So lets say my average temperature in the shop is 68 degrees F. Dehumidifiers are specified in pints...
  2. F

Brace radius cutting jig.

Am sure many of you have seen these in one form or another. The idea is to force the tone bar or brace to match the radius of the form inside the sandwich. Make a straight cut and release the stock and you have a brace or tone bar with a radius of your choice. Was set to build one when I came...
  3. F

Bandsaw is busted.

Just on the outside chance that someone here can help. The pivot arm that allows adjusting the upper wheel tracking broke. It's a casting with the wheel shaft and two pins, one each side. Got the replacement part. The question is how do I get the old pins out? It's not a continuous rod. They are...
  4. F

Rough Necks.

Progress continues on my scratch build following the Antes bari and Hana Lima tenor plans. These are mahogany cut on a band saw and trimmed with a plane. The plan is to fashion patterns to make the final cut on the router table. Then hand carve the neck profile. My intention is to finish my...
  5. F

Thicknessing w/a Spindle Sander

I hate sanding and much prefer planes and scrapers but had to try this. A simple fence clamped to the top and spaced about .095" from the spindle. Caution. You've got to hang on to the tail end of the board. Make a pass, pull it back and flip it around. Instead of adjusting the fence after each...
  6. F

Side thickness and clean up.

I've cut seven sets of quarter sawn mahogany for tenor sides on my band saw. My target at was .080" thinking that I'd end up around .070" after removing the saw marks. What I did not count on is that in some cases I had to remove .010" on each side. Based on a comment from Pete awhile back, I...
  7. F

Re-saw Day

This was a beautiful hunk of 16/4 mahogany that I've been hoarding for a few of years. The yield was seven sets of sides at about .080" and 12 backs or tops at about the same thickness. The rest, the stuff that's missing is either in my dust collection system or on the shop floor.
  8. F

Uke Side Bender Progress.

The pictures tell all. The base completed, the smoke test. My initial run was with the bender plate open. My hope was that it would get hot enough to start the bend at the waste with full contact of the wood. With 300 watts of power the plate reached 65.8 degrees C after 25 minutes. Closed up...
  9. F

It's a start

So it just seemed to me that if I couldn't bend some aluminum I had no business trying to bend mahogany. Here are pics of two Fox style benders. One for tenor and one for baritone. Will be heated with two 150 watt lamps. The base will be common to both heads. About $60 in hardware and scraps in...
Top Bottom