Search results

1. GVlog

Best Guitar for kids

1. What music does she want to play? (Or ... What performer does she want to emulate?) 2. What is her height? 3. Define "middle range". "It is difficult to answer, when one does not understand the question." - Ambassador Sarek
  2. GVlog

Cordoba Mini II EB-CE guitar is 19% off at Amazon (July 17, 2022)

This is a short-scale nylon with a solid top and an undersaddle pickup. It's on sale and down from $249 to $201. I don't own one since I prefer full-sized classical guitars; but I'm thinking that some folks here might want it. (You're welcome)
  3. GVlog

NGsnAD (New GuitarS & Amp day!)

Thanks. These are by Der Jung in Taiwan and they also make ukulele tuning machines that have high gear-ratios. I had gotten these machines years ago (when they were only selling on eBay for ~$15 and still mostly unknown to the US and Europe). Der Jung's products are still very reasonably...
  4. GVlog

They certainly did. I know it's just a practice amp but now I'm wondering if they build these capabilities into a bigger rig. I got the set-ups done. After doing a proper cleaning of the fretboard with fine-steel wool, I saw that the rosewood grain was lovely so I left it as is and just...
  5. GVlog

From Guitar to Uke

Why not just acquire a tenor guitar or get a baritone uke and switch to GCEA or gCEA strings? As jer noted, there might be some warping of the neck over time but I honestly don't know.
  6. GVlog

I've decided that it's time to get amped! :D Over the past two weeks, I acquired a new Yamaha THR5A amp, a used mint-condition Yamaha CG-TA (the transacoustic), and a used mint-condition Yamaha NCX1. The NCX1 already had an excellent set-up even though the original owner did nothing to it. It...
  7. GVlog

What preamps are installed on Islander ukuleles these days?

Ah. No worries. I just thought that you might had gotten it from a big-box music retailer. True dat. Well, I guess the hunt continues for another Islander tenor with a Fishman Kula. My AT-4-EQ has it (and I think all the current ATs do) but I want a mahogany for the next one rather than acacia.
  8. GVlog

Incidentally, I just got a note from theukulelesite.com which confirmed that their current stock of Islander MT-4-RB-EQ uses the UK-9000. I guess I won't be purchasing my next A/E uke from them. :(
  9. GVlog

Dang. That's a bummer. Where did you purchase it from? Yeah. I find that scooping out the mids seems to reduce much of the piezo "quack". Have you tried running it through an external preamp with low/mid/high controls, or is that too much cost/trouble?
  10. GVlog

Do all Islander acoustic-electric ukuleles now come with Fishman Kula preamps or are some models still using UK-9000 preamps? If I remember right, Kanilea started with the UK-9000 preamps on their early batches of Islander ukuleles. These preamps had the Islander label on them. These preamps...
  11. GVlog

Is the Islander 1-1/2" nut width excessive on a tenor or concert comfortable?

1.5" is my preferred nut width. Never a problem. I might get myself a third Islander tenor. I need an acoustic-electric in re-entrant tuning for new fingerstyle pieces that I'd like to play.
  12. GVlog

Tenor and Classical Guitars

Yeah. I got all of my supports years ago when they were uncommon, in less demand, and reasonably priced. I'm still dealing with a bit of sticker-shock as to how expensive they've become. This model by Tenor is more affordable but I don't have much experience with it. Structurally, it's almost...
  13. GVlog

Tenor and Classical Guitars

Congrats on getting the C40ii. I have a C40 (gloss finish rather than matte) and it still gets equal play/practice time alongside my better classical and flamenco guitars. It responds nicely to bright treble strings like Savarez Cristal (nylon) or Savarez Alliance (carbon). Based on my...
  14. GVlog

Seeking Classical guitar recommendation

Note that the Yamaha CS40 is a 7/8 guitar. Its size is between the CGS103 and the C40. I haven't seen a CS40 at any of the retailers for a long time. I don't know if it's been discontinued.
  15. GVlog

Seeking Classical guitar recommendation

If the student needs a 3/4 size, then there are two common choices: Yamaha CGS103 which is an all-laminate construction but considered to be a good student guitar $140 Cordoba Cadete 3/4 which has a solid cedar top $370 I think the Yamaha is the safest option. If the student can handle a...
  16. GVlog

Anyone tried the Takamine GC-6CE (the budget Hirade TH90)?

Many thanks for your response, Peter. I recall that you had written a review of the TH90 (which I found again here). I'm assuming you meant the "Cordoba 5 or 7" rather than the "Cordoba 6 or 7"? I may give the GC-6CE a pass for now then. They're rather difficult to find anyway and Guitar Center...
  17. GVlog

Anyone tried the Takamine GC-6CE (the budget Hirade TH90)?

I'm on the hunt for an acoustic-electric nylon and my shortlist has the Yamaha CG-TA and the Yamaha NCX1. I like Cordoba AE nylons too but am annoyed that the nut-widths on their guitars are a smidge narrower than the minimum 52mm for a classical guitar. Then I come across the Takamine GC-6CE...
  18. GVlog

Recommend a music/laptop stand?

Manhasset Voyager if you need something portable.
  19. GVlog

Yamaha GL1 Guitalele with a pickup installed

In the early years of the GL1 (when it was the only guitalele/guitarlele out there), there WAS a version with a pickup installed. I remember seeing the ad. Perhaps it was discontinued.
  20. GVlog

Protecting UU forum! How to keep it going..

I think the UU discussion begins at 17:00.
Top Bottom