Search results

1. garyg

name that chord

Anyone know what chord 0010 is? That's G,C,F,A ? Couldn't find it on any of the chord charts. Rest in peace, Music Guy Mike. TIA, g2
  2. garyg

Seaguar flurocarbon - current status

I finally wanted to give Seaguar flurocarbon a try for uke strings but I noticed they make 3-4 kinds of flurocarbon line. Can anyone describe experiences they've had with the various line types or suggest a type? Seaguar currently offers: STS salmon flurocarbon, red label, blue label and fluro...
  3. garyg

Vintage uke comparison

Here's a video I made comparing some new vintage ukes in my latest backslide of UAS www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8QzQkbTH3M Made with a Flip HD with small mics, so the sound quality isn't perfect. In real life, the ukes sound different, but as this video shows, they sound more alike than...
  4. garyg

@#$@#$% it, string mistake again

For about the 10th time I managed to clip a string while putting it on, without leaving enough for the tuner to grab. This made me wonder if there was anywhere online where you could buy individual strings rather than spring for a whole set. I like Fremont, Worth and Orca strings. TIA, g2
  5. garyg

New uke term

Cracker - a ukulele with four or more cracks but excellent sustain, tone and projection that you buy to fix up or just play. Usage - Ah, I see that old Martin's a cracker -- good score.
  6. garyg

ballads/blues - East Virginia and St. James Infirmary

Enjoy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRzQ1nioNsA http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r71YIDzTbuk
  7. garyg

Martin tiple T-18 & 2K Taro Patch

I thought some folks might be interested in some unusual ukes like the taro patch (8 strings) and the tiple (10 strings). Both of these ukes are Martins and made in the mid-20's (the tiple can be dated to 1925 because it has a serial number). The taro has 2 strings for every course, the tiple...
  8. garyg

Playing to a click track

I was doing some recording last week and the engineer suggested that I play the music track (solo uke) to a click track. It was a definite fail, although the music sounded good, it was off the beet by the second verse. I wonder how much folks worry about this? How many of you practice songs to a...
  9. garyg

Uke stuff in ABQ?

Anything worth investigating uke-wise in Albuquerque? TIA, g2
  10. garyg

Song Help Request Kentucky Moonshiner

Anyone have uke chords for this traditional song? TIA, g2
  11. garyg

Comparison of early model 1 Martin ukes

I made a video comparing the sound of some early model 1 Martin ukes that may interest those of you who like vintage instruments. Here's the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqskFn0zQhA . Enjoy, g2
  12. garyg

FS Johnny Marvin Prince of Wales ukulele

Greetings ukers, After two years of playing I'm pretty much settled on playing vintage sopranos or modern equivalents. But while making that decision and because of my love of all things high quality and old, I accumulated a few ukes that I rarely play including this Johnny Marvin Prince of...
  13. garyg

FS Kamaka soprano 1971-1972 vintage

Okay, I never did sell this uke so my too many ukes sale continues. This is a Kamaka solid koa white label soprano in excellent condition with wonderful sound - it really sounds different from my other ukes, but the fret board is a bit wider than my Martins so I have trouble shifting from one to...
  14. garyg

Martin Taro Patch

So I ended up buying that pre-32 Martin 2K taro patch that was on ebay recently. It is in great shape, sounds wonderful with four strings but the bridge slots are so narrow that I can't get the second string in some of the slots (the taro bridge only has four string slots for the eight strings)...
  15. garyg

Robert Yap & ukulele

I just bought a pre-32 Martin 2K taro patch and in the case was a card for "Robert Yap of Honolulu" who ran a Hawaiian guitar and ukulele studio in NYC. Yap apparently arranged some Irving Berlin songs for uke such as "Homesick" but I wasn't able to find much out about him. Any New Yorkers or...
  16. garyg

Dealer trades

I'm wondering if others have had the same experience in trading with dealers. I approached a well known dealer regarding a trade that involved two excellent vintage ukes (lots of documentation of quality and sound) for one of the dealer's vintage ukes. I calculated a low retail value for the...
  17. garyg

Vita uke clones/customs

I love Harmony Vita Ukes and noticed there are two custom Vitas on ebay, one by San Francisco ukes http://www.ebay.com/itm/Very-Rare-Custom-Frisco-ukulele-Unique-/190822840654 and the second by Glyph ukes...
  18. garyg

vintage Martin tuners, fret dots and decals

Like everyone else here I'm interested in ways to date Martin ukes? I've done a quick search of the archives but can't find answers to these questions so I thought that I'd ask them directly, although feel free to send me a link if they're answered previously and you know where. From a two...
  19. garyg

Gibson Pointsettia on the bay

For those of you with deep pockets there's the rarest of the rare a Gibson poinsettia uke on ebay. I'm not a bidder myself but I'm curious about what the "experts" think...
  20. garyg

WTT or FS Johnny Marvin Prince of Wales and Kamaka white label soprano 71-72

Greetings ukers, After two years of playing I'm pretty much settled on playing vintage sopranos or modern equivalents. But while making that decision and because of my love of all things high quality and old, I accumulated a few ukes that I rarely play including this Johnny Marvin Prince of...
Top Bottom