Search results

1. DaveY

Wanted Tiny Tenor - mahogany

. . .
  2. DaveY

WTB: Pono mango concert pineapple

I'm located in Massachusetts (USA), relatively near CT, VT, NY, fwiw.
  3. DaveY

have you played a LoPrinzi baritone?

I ask because I'm wondering what you thought of it, and also what wood(s) it was made of. Online, I've seen all-mahogany, all-cherry, and a (custom) spruce top on a maple body. I've heard sound samples of the mahogany and the spruce, but not the cherry. They also offer a koa version, according...
  4. DaveY

string suggestions for Kala spruce-top travel/thinline baritone (KA-SSTU-B)

As the title says . . . The uke came with Aquila, and the D and G were fine for me, but not the B and E (mostly the thickness/feel). Right now I have D'Addario clear nylon EJ65B (a stopgap purchase) for the D and G, and D'Addario pro-arte titanium EJ87B for the B and E. A full set of the...
  5. DaveY

Bb tuning on KoAloha tenor -- which strings?

I'm trying to distinguish my KoAloha tenor more from my other ukes, and figure that Bb tuning is one option. What strings do people suggest? My guess is that there are some options that could be somewhat universal in application, but also that the specific strings in Bb tuning should match the...
  6. DaveY

your experience with K&K Big Spot pickup?

I'm considering having a K&K Big Spot put into a $200, solid cedar top ukulele (Cordoba 24T) and am wondering what to expect. I'm not willing to spend more for this; I have or have had Baggs and MiSi pickups, and realize that they are better (and are active ones). It will be either the Big...
  7. DaveY

your experience with K&K Big Spot pickup?

I'm considering having a K&K Big Spot put into a $200, solid cedar top ukulele (Cordoba 24T) and am wondering what to expect. I'm not willing to spend more for this; I have or have had Baggs and MiSi pickups, and realize that they are better (and are active ones). It will be either the Big...
  8. DaveY

looking for advice on teaching ukulele online

I have an 11-year-old uke student who now will be taking most or some of her lessons with me online, and I'm looking for advice both technical (I have a Mac computer, and an Amazon Fire tablet -- is Skype still the way to go? or something else?) and otherwise (set-up, how to make sure we can see...
  9. DaveY

loop end strings . . . huh?

I'm trying to put on two Thomastik Infeld strings, and I see that one string end has a loop in it. Should I just ignore this and install as I always have? Or is there a special purpose for the little loop? It's a tie bridge on the uke. I assume that this loop end goes through the...
  10. DaveY

loop end strings . . . huh?

I'm trying to put on two Thomastik Infeld strings, and I see that one string end has a loop in it. Should I just ignore this and install as I always have? Or is there a special purpose for the little loop? It's a tie bridge on the uke. I assume that this loop end goes through the bridge...but...
  11. DaveY

single wound low G advice – very specific question . . .

So I have a new Godin MultiUke (tenor, 17" scale) that I'll convert to low G, and an old UU thread featured Andrew K. (HMS/TUS) explaining (see here) that a wound .032 inch diameter string is the way to go. I found three D'Addarios that seem to qualify, but their string tension varies...
  12. DaveY

compatibility of chambered body uke and "electric guitar" amp?

I'm about to receive a new Godin Multiuke, and I'm wondering if it's worth getting an amp such as the Boss Katana 50 (or other amp designed for a solid body electric guitar). That is, would I be getting my money's worth on such an amp, or would I be better off just using my Zoom G3...
  13. DaveY

virtually new Tiny Tenor (solid spruce top/mahogany back and sides) w/case

This “Tiny Tenor” (tenor scale, shorter overall length) from Romero Creations was purchased on August 17 of this year from uke-fan.com (who inspects/sets up ukes before shipping). The sound is full and strong with sustain to match, and the intonation is excellent on the entire neck. The...
  14. DaveY

< 3-week-old "Tiny Tenor" solid spruce/laminate mahogany w/case, strap buttons - $225

< 3-week-old "Tiny Tenor" solid spruce/laminate mahogany w/case, strap buttons - $225 Solid spruce top, laminate mahogany back and sides “Tiny Tenor” (tenor scale, shorter overall length) purchased on August 17 of this year from uke-fan.com (who inspects/sets up ukes before shipping). The...
  15. DaveY

make a neck thinner . . . ?

I have a new ukulele that I like a lot, except the neck is uncomfortable. I prefer a thin neck with a 1.5" nut width. This one is a medium depth, with about a 1.375" width. It also seems a bit heavy. Using a strap helps (as I'm getting a little forearm pain, due also to some flawed technique...
  16. DaveY

looking for opinions on a Romero spruce/laminate Grand Tenor

preferably by someone who has one -- I've located several video samples online, but they're either from NAMM (with ambient noise) or from a seller who seems to have "sweetened" the sound electronically . . . thx
  17. DaveY

Rebel (tenor) question

Is anyone familiar with the neck on a Rebel tenor? I assume the width is 1.375" at the nut, but what about the depth/thickness? As comparison, I'm familiar with: thick = Pono medium = Kala (I think...?) thin = KoAloha thinner = Kanilea Thanks.
  18. DaveY

Help with live recording

I need some guidance in recording a group of singers + piano (or maybe ukulele instead of piano). On Saturday I’ll be recording a group of teens (up to 12 of them) singing a song they wrote. I’ll be accompanying them on a Roland RD64 stage piano or a ukulele (with a pickup), and recording...
  19. DaveY

Covered Bridge Spruce Top Pineapple Tenor w/ L.R. Baggs pickup, Crossrock ABS case

Solid spruce top, solid mahogany back-and-sides, with a bright, clear, ringing sound. Worth Brown (high-g) strings. I’m selling because I can’t quite get comfortable with the pineapple shape, and I’m simplifying my all-solid ukuleles to one each in high g and low G. There are some minor...
  20. DaveY

pickup for Kala longneck soprano

I’m looking for advice on a pickup to have installed in my Kala KA-SLNG (longneck soprano, mahogany laminate). I’m wondering if a K&K (Aloha Twin or Big Spot) would work, but I’m open to anything that is less than $100. I have a Baggs Para D.I. and a K&K Pure Preamp in case they would be...
Top Bottom