Search results

1. Jon Moody

Prototype UBass from Kala

I was at Bass Player LIVE over the weekend for work. We are usually across the aisle from Kala, so I'm usually over there, talking with Rick and Brian. This is the prototype uBass that they brought out and were taking copious notes on. I like the fact that you can play it completely vertical...
  2. Jon Moody

FS: Recording King RU-998-M Resonator Concert Ukulele

I bought this new a couple years back from Elderly Instruments. It apparently looks like they don't offer this color anymore, and I can tell you that while they say it's a "matte" finish, it's definitely a high gloss (which you can see from the pics). It currently has some fluorocarbon strings...
  3. Jon Moody

FS: Lanakai Elderly Instruments 40th Anniversary Tenor

I bought this last summer, and it's very nice but currently doesn't get nearly as much love and attention that it needs. From the Elderly Instrument website: Flame maple top with flame maple back and maple sides (all laminated). Mahogany neck, rosewood headstock overlay, rosewood fingerboard...
  4. Jon Moody

How Do You Order your Custom Uke?

I had a conversation with my good friend, Pete Hilton, a month back and wanted to get some feedback from you fine people that have ordered instruments from builders, mainly how do you order your custom uke? Many people, I would assume, once they pick out the builder (and the specific...
  5. Jon Moody

NUD - Well, not mine sadly

Had to share this video. My buddy, Pete Hilton (of Hilton Guitars) came to the office last Friday for a factory tour, as well as to show off prototype tenor ukulele #3 and let me play it. What a pretty uke, that sounds very nice and even across the board (even with two wound strings). Enjoy.
  6. Jon Moody

If you watched a live streaming vid on ukulele...

...what would you want to see/hear? The live video stream I did in December, showing off the new GHS fluorocarbon ukulele strings went very well, as did my half-hour live demo from NAMM (where I talked about ALL the new strings). So, I'd like to start a series of streaming videos, about an...
  7. Jon Moody

product demo in Numubu today

For anyone that is interested, I will be doing a live product demonstration at 2pm EST today, showcasing the new GHS Strings Fluorocarbon line of uke strings. Just click on the link below, and then there will be a green LIVE BROADCAST button for you to click on, which will open a new window...
  8. Jon Moody

Three Brave Souls

I have a problem, folks. Our new ukulele strings are set, moving into production, packaging being designed, etc.. I have three of the prototype sets that need homes on ukuleles. I have one set of each, listed below: 1- Hawaiian D-Tuning set (meant to be tuned a step above normal) - To...
  9. Jon Moody

Ukulele = Better Bassist

Here's a quick article I wrote up for Seymour Duncan, where I talked about how picking up the ukulele made me a better bassist. But in the broader scope, playing ANY instrument that is different than your primary one is going to help you become a more well-rounded musician. Enjoy...
  10. Jon Moody

Tension?

In the process of dialing in these new sets of strings that we are currently working on over at GHS, the subject of tension has come up a couple of times. We all know the science behind string tension, but when it comes down to feel and what you prefer, it becomes more of a grey area. So...
  11. Jon Moody

Uke Strumming Workshop at Elderly?

Anyone in the MI area that is planning on heading into Elderly Instruments for the Strumming Techniques Workshop with Mitch Chang on Saturday? I'll be up there with my Boat Paddle concert.
  12. Jon Moody

An ideal amp for the U-Bass?

No joke, this amp is coming out this month. Phil Jones Bass introduces Double Four Micro Bass Combo As a user of PJB stuff, I'm sure it will sound incredible and, as per all of their stuff, much louder than their size would dictate.
  13. Jon Moody

Instructional Vids

I've been approached by a fairly large company (holding off on the name at this point, but you've heard of them) to make some instructional videos. This is a pretty exciting opportunity, but I'd like to find out what kind of techniques and skills people would actually watch, or want to learn...
  14. Jon Moody

Got a Players Spotlight

Don't know how many of you guys read articles on http://www.notreble.com, but they have a weekly Player's Spotlight. And for this week, it's me. Players Spotlight - Jonathan Moody
  15. Jon Moody

A couple of YouTube vids

I'm in talks with a couple that may have me play their wedding this summer, and asked that I send them some samples. So, I had a morning free, and came up with this. The unofficial ukulele "national anthem." Featuring my maple/mahogany Boat Paddle M-Style 5 string concert. Pulelehua -...
  16. Jon Moody

Christmas/Holiday Traditional song

I tried the search function, but it didn't result in anything. Basically, at church we put on a concert on Christmas Eve with a lot of varying styles of music that cover a lot of different cultures. I mentioned to the Music Director that I'd be willing to do a solo on either uke or bass, and...
  17. Jon Moody

Next Theatre Gig: which songs for uke?

My next theatre run is a two weekend run of the local Civic Theatre's Senior Readers Showcase. It's usually just a two hour music review; this year's theme is "A Tribute to the Red, White and Blue." I got the music on Friday (rehearsals don't start for a couple of weeks), and casually asked the...
  18. Jon Moody

Boat Paddle uke update!

I had ordered a custom M style concert uke from Jerry at Boat Paddle in mid/late September. I got an email from him today, showing me some pics and letting me know that it should be done in less than two weeks! For the curious, here are the specs: M-Style Concert 5 string (the G is octaved)...
  19. Jon Moody

Had to share

I've been using Phil Jones Bass amps for a little over a year now. In my main line of playing (musical theatre), having a small amp that is able to cut through a crowded pit and still have a sweet DI. The Briefcase is the only amp that has reliably addressed my needs and also kept the soundguy...
  20. Jon Moody

New Uke Day (sounds better than NUD)

I got my Tall Grass "scratch and dent" ukulele this morning, delivered to work. After letting it acclimate for an hour or two, I opened it up and my coworker and I inspected it. I "think" I found what might be the scratch that qualified it for the S&D status, but seriously I've seen more...
Top Bottom