Search results

1. K

Neck Joints

Have you looked at these jigs? Also will work for guitar and several other instruments with correct templates. https://www.luthiertool.com/neck_angle_jig.html Used these for a number of years when we were active in building. Great tools and a very nice guy who makes and sells these. kw
  2. K

Neck carving with power tools.

Not using a grinder but maybe this will work for some of you CNC folks. kw
  3. K

Target EM6000

Bob, You should speak with a Sherwin Williams Rep at a commercial store. They have some amazing finish materials. We've used a catalyzed varnish they make for a number of years. (Has to be sprayed) But they have a lot of commercial finishes and I've always found them anxious to help. kw
  4. K

Star Carver bits

Not sure if the top shank has something different but this company sells reverse cutting bits. https://www.whitesiderouterbits.com/collections/left-hand-spiral-bits kw
  5. K

Manual Neck Carvers from Carvermaster

We owned a Carvemaster many years ago and didn't like the quality... but personal opinion. We did own a Terrco Carver that had 8 spindles and did like it. There is a huge difference in the quality of the machines. Found that a dedicated spindle was one of the more important things over a...
  6. K

Using CNC To Build Ukuleles - Good or Bad?

In general I agree with Pete that 2D style files (Fret Board, Inlays, Cut Outs, etc.) are relatively simple to master with practice and perseverance but it can be very frustrating for a new comer. I also agree with the Vectric software's as a whole but it has many limitation when you begin to do...
  7. K

I've got the TAS again

Problems that you guys describe happens with inexpensive tools of any kind be it table saw, band saws, planers, jointers, or scroll saws. You need the proper tools for any job. Consider scroll saws like Hegner or possibly Delta or Dewalt think you will find these are in a different category...
  8. K

Making an Archtop Ukulele- Take Two

Brad, Have you looked at the Martin Series 20 Mandolin? Always liked the looks and went to the trouble of drawing the instrument but never built it. ( We were able to Laser scan an Early 1920' F-5 Loar and used many of the contours from this scan as a guide for this design... and yes, we did...
  9. K

VIDEO - Centerline Jig that is EXTREMELY helpful

Beau, Couple more ideas.... possibly more effective at finding center, bridge layout, fret board placement, as well as nut placement.......(we are no longer producing products as we have retired but all the templates we developed where done out of our building necessity.) Anything shown on the...
  10. K

8 string slot head routing jig

May be a little late on this one but maybe it will help. Blessings,
  11. K

cutting inlays

Additional Photo's
  12. K

cutting inlays

Cutting / Inlay Pearl and Ebony is not impossible with a laser but it requires a very precise lens and considerable more power than the normal consumer laser along with several variation on normal laser techniques........
  13. K

Bass ukulele s

Attaching a Kids Bass we did a number of years ago..... should give you some fairly close dimensions...... Blessings,
  14. K

Workshop video of shaping a tenor neck

Ken, you are correct if you are doing the smaller ukulele the compound curve with the sliding dovetail are necessary and difficult if not impossible to do with a 3 axis CNC unless you do it on the edge vertically and have a swinging fixture. (We do have two fourth axis CNCs both being over 8'...
  15. K

Allen, the last neck fixture is a vacuum fixture and I can't seem to lay my hands on a picture of the actual fixture......The fixture allowed for various neck head stock angles and it also allowed for a dovetail / tenon joint at the connection end. We also had another fixture for cutting a truss...
  16. K

Curious as to why your not making necks with your CNC? CNC can work while you do something else. Fairly complex in setting a neck up for holding, cutting, slotting etc. but worth the effort. Time is probably close to what your doing it manually for one neck if you count everything but...
  17. K

Neck carving in the 21st century

You have the CNC ....... use it........ Various tool path shots of a Tenor neck 3-Axis machined neck we also can do this on a 4th Axis setup but find it less efficient. Takes a while to work all this out from a file/toolpathing scenario but it only takes about 15 minutes to process a neck...
  18. K

Baritone neck dimensions

See if this helps. Blessings, kw
  19. K

radiusing a soundboard?

Enclosing examples........ one 3D and the other a 2D template drawings........ if you've purchased a template set from us it will have the tapered sides and straight side as well.....we often get asked about my is it not flat...... kw
  20. K

30 Year Old Cherry Tree

As one who has processed many thousand feet of cherry both sawing and kiln drying. Do your homework and ignore most of what the Europeans say! Crotch wood is very seldom good is a true statement for most woods........but in cherry there are some exceptions. Martin for a number of years has used...
Top Bottom