Search results

1. B

Sub-$500 Tenor/Pickup combo: Pono, Mainland, other?

Still feeling things out and not going to buy soon, but would be interested in the responses here. I’m thinking about getting a tenor for gigs. It would be primarily played plugged-in, but not exclusively by any means. I’ve looked at Mainland and Pono, among a couple of other brands. Pono...
  2. B

Non-banjo loud ukes for busking (resonator, 8-string?)

I do some busking and would like a uke that packs a bit more punch than a standard one. I’ve busked with all 4 body sizes, all OK but too quiet to be heard when it gets busier. I actually normally busk with a 5 string banjo, but the ukes are much more portable for travel and such. Here’s where...
  3. B

Bugsgear Soprano Aqualele

I've been looking for a go-anywhere soprano for a while, and finally bit on a Bugsgear marked down to $30 a few weeks ago. It's the first soprano I've owned, and while I'm still getting used to it, I am quite impressed with it overall. Tuners are cheap but pretty serviceable, and the slots...
  4. B

Cheap, CRappy, Thin Baritone Gig Bag?

I have a somewhat strange request: what's the cheapest, thinnest baritone gig bag out there? I have an Enya X1 Baritone as a travel instrument, and I detach the neck to fit it into my backpack. Unfortunately, the gig bag Enya sent is just too darned good! The padding makes it hard to fold and...
  5. B

Has anyone experimented with strings/tuning on Bugsgear soprano?

I'm a soon-to-be owner of a plastic Bugsgear soprano, and I'm hoping to do some experimentation with tunings (D tuning, Low G/A, GDAE). Has anyone done this with this uke, and what combos worked or didn't? I'm a little mor concerned than I normally would be given the ABS neck, so I don't want to...
  6. B

Enya Pineapple Volume and Sound?

The Enya X1 pineapple is at a very good price currently and I'm thinking of springing for it, but I'm wondering if anyone who has one can compare the volume and overall sound to something like a Dolphin or Kala KA-S. I've got an Enya bari and tenor and like them, but the tenor especially is...
  7. B

Best strings for Soprano Linear D/Low A Tuning?

I like the idea of D tuning and have found it punchier on a soprano, but I haven't seen any sets for D tuning with a low A, which I think might suit my needs. I'm thinking of buying a low G set made for concerts and using that, but are there better options?
  8. B

Total String Tension for a Baritone?

I've strung my bari GDAE using classical guitar strings, but I think the total tension (around 60lbs) might be too high. I've read a few figures in the mid-50s for total tension that a baritone should have, so I'm building a custom set that will end up at around 55-56lbs (13-14lbs a string). Is...
  9. B

Vorson Plastic Concert Ukulele Thoughts

Just got one recently, took a flyer on a "scratch and dent" for $20 shipped free from Amazon. I wasn't expecting too much based off some previous threads that complained about the neck and intonation, but I figured a beater that I could maybe busk with was good enough. I was pleasantly...
  10. B

Islander MT-4 glued nut removal

The action on my Islander is way too low, and I've got another nut on order. I'm hoping to take out the current nut and shim it, just to make sure that'll solve the buzzing issues, but it seems pretty well stuck on. I've tried knocking as hard as I can without damaging the uke itself, and I'm...
  11. B

WTB Inexpensive Banjolele

Looking for an inexpensive banjolele, in the $100 and under range. If you have one of those Kmise, Sidekick, Rally, etc. banjos that you bought off eBay or Aliexpress that you're moving on from or don't play much any more, I'd love to take it off your hands. I'd prefer something ready to play...
  12. B

Before I adjust anything...

I have a Mahalo u320c that I hope to use as a travel/beater uke. Currently, the intonation is bad enough to make me want to change it, and I believe the action is the culprit. It is quite high, and fingering a string on the first fret sends the note about 20 cents sharp. The 12th fret harmonic...
  13. B

Korala UKS-30?

I'm looking for a cheap, carry-anywhere beater, and it seems the consensus pick around here for that is the Makala Dolphin. But in the interest of doing my due diligence, I've looked at some Mahalos and other cheaper brands. One of them, Korala, offers a cheap colored ukulele much like the...
  14. B

Dunlop Strings?

My uke has Aquila strings, and I'll probably just keeping restringing it with those as needed, but my local music store stocks dunlop strings, which I have been able to find exactly nothing about review-wise online. Just being curious (and also for anyone in the future who is looking), what are...
  15. B

Buy cheap/used uke in Belgium/Brussels

Long story short, I'm going to be in Belgium for about three weeks doing some biking, camping, and hopefully busking. Due to the baggage restraints of cheap airlines, I'm thinking my best option is to buy a cheap and/or used instrument (either uke or guitar) there, then sell it back to a...
Top Bottom