Search results

1. Ahnko Honu

Hexalele or Coffinlele?

Aloha UU 'Ohana. My latest creation is a soprano scale 'ukulele based on a elongated 6 sided box, a hexagon shaped more or less like a coffin. I'm not goth, I don't do Halloween, I'm not obsessed with death, and I don't want anyone to mistakenly think I am after looking at my latest creation...
  2. Ahnko Honu

Strange Sightings on Google Map

I'm unemployed and living in Hawai'i, not a great combination in one of the highest cost of living states in the union. Needless to say I don't travel much at all not even to the neighbor islands. To satisfy my wanderlust I like to get on Google Map, and pick random countries and explore towns...
  3. Ahnko Honu

Any "REAL" Football Fans Here?

By "real" football, I mean the original football, what Americans call soccer. Ever since the Oakland Raiders became the Las Vegas Raiders my interest in American football has been waning. At the same time my interest in football/soccer has increased especially watching Premier League games my...
  4. Ahnko Honu

My Latest "Ginseng-lele"

I was looking thru my junk a few weeks ago, and found a box of ukulele parts - a concert neck, and fret board, a set of tuners, and I am currently between jobs so I figured I might as well do something to keep busy. I happen to be out of my favorite ginseng tea, so it was a no-brainer project...
  5. Ahnko Honu

Kalimba Anyone?

In the past couple years I discovered the kalimba. Super easy to play, and very affordable. 3 are pictured but I currently own 4. I find it very pleasing. I own 1 solid wood, 1 solid acrylic, and 2 hollow wood examples. The hollow wood models have the best volume.
  6. Ahnko Honu

Dulcimer anyone?

About a year ago between fall and spring semesters I decided to try something different from an 'ukulele so I picked up a couple new instruments - Dulcimers! They are not the traditional Mountain Dulcimers which I believe are played on your lap. I got one stick dulcimer aka strum-stick, and...
  7. Ahnko Honu

Ginsenglele #2

Aloha folks. Just wanted to share my latest creation I made from a Korean ginseng tea box. This is actually my second "ginsenglele" the first was made from a 50 count box, so more a travel 'uke size, but this second one I made from a 100 pack box so double the width. I kept it a soprano...
  8. Ahnko Honu

Be Still My Pineapple Shaped Heart

Aloha kākou. As many of you seniors here may remember from when I frequented these parts... shortly after my conception is heard from inside my mommaʻs womb the beautiful melodies wafting from my dadʻs koa Kamaka pineapple over 6 decades ago. Ever since then nothing rings my bell like the...
  9. Ahnko Honu

Ginseng-lele?

Aloha Kākou, While shopping at my favorite Korean store a couple years ago I found an extremely cool box of ginseng tea. First thing that popped into my mind was how cool a travel uke this box could be turned into. I bought, and ordered the parts needed to complete it on eBay. Fast forward a...
  10. Ahnko Honu

SW Florida Groups?

Aloha Kākou ʻUkulele ʻOhana, I am rapidly approaching retirement age, and checking our savings and investment it looks like the wife and I will not have enough kālā to live comfortably here in Hawaiʻi. I figure that if we sell our house here and move to SW Florida where my kid sis lives I could...
  11. Ahnko Honu

First Attempt

I have always wanted to try and build a cigar box ʻukulele but I let the difficulty of finding a decent cigar box locally combined with distractions of life detour me away from my goal. I recently sold the home I grew up in since 1966. I moved back into that house after my parents passing 10...
  12. Ahnko Honu

Who Loves Their BugsEar?

I have always loved the outdoors especially the ocean, love to fish, dive, swim, paddle canoe, etc. etc .etc. I needed a ʻukulele that was rugged, waterproof, and affordable. I bought a Fluke which was very rugged, and sounded way better than it should but one downpour convinced me I did not...
  13. Ahnko Honu

Where to Retire to?

Aloha Kākou. Okay, Iʻm quickly reaching retirement age. My state pension combined with social security amounts to a measly $1400.00 a month. I also just sold the home I grew up in after over 51 years, and after dividing the proceeds with my 5 siblings (none who live here anymore) my portion...
  14. Ahnko Honu

New Aqualele, a few Questions...

First of all ALOHA kakou all my old ukulele aikane and ohana, long time no see! Sorry, I have been distracted by both health and family issues, but enough with the excuses. Been away so long forgot where I should post certain subject matter so I moved this post from Uke Talk to here Uke Tech...
  15. Ahnko Honu

Question for Aqualele Owners Here...

Moved to Uke Tech Talk: http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?123230-New-Aqualele-a-few-Questions&p=1900974#post1900974
  16. Ahnko Honu

Today in History

Most people don't know that back in 1912, Hellmann's mayonnaise was manufactured in England. In fact, the Titanic was carrying 12,000 jars of the condiment scheduled for delivery in Vera Cruz, Mexico, which was to be the next port of call for the great ship after its stop in New York. This...
  17. Ahnko Honu

Who Likes to Hike?

On my last hike I climbed straight up to the summit of the extinct volcano known as Koko (blood) Crater which rises to 1200 feet most of it at a steep incline. During WWII a air defense radar system was built on the summit of Koko Crater and access was via a cable car on a rail that went...
  18. Ahnko Honu

Aloha a hui hou!

I go in for back surgery #4 at 5:30 a.m. tomorrow, you'll get some well deserved peace from me for the next several days if not longer. :D Mahalo a nui loa for all your support. Aloha a hui hou, see you on the other side! :shaka:
  19. Ahnko Honu

New Hawai'i 5-0?

Anyone here watching the new Hawai'i 5-0? What's your opinion? I grew up watching the old show with Jack Lord. I'm disappointed they did not use a single kama'aina in the cast making it less acceptable for many locals especially when they fake the pidgin talk, and mispronounce Hawaiian...
  20. Ahnko Honu

This old fallen tree did not go to waste!

http://www.kitv.com/news/25202595/detail.html
Top Bottom