Search results

1. verbistheword

Strathmore Uke Summit 15-19 Aug 2015 (MD, just outside DC)

Hi Walter! I was at the Summit Saturday and Sunday. Sorry to have missed meeting you! Last year, they sent out an email to all the attendees to let us stay in touch. If they send it again, any objection to me suggesting on that thread that any UU members (or to-be members) say hello on this...
  2. verbistheword

Lead for St. Louis area / southern Illinois ukulele teachers

Hello all! I am visiting my parents in southern Illinois, and dropped in at Exeter Music, previously known as Schmidt Music. http://www.exeter-music.com/ http://www.exeter-music.com/contact/"]Exeter Music[/URL] 1923 W. Highway 50 Fairview Heights, IL 62208 (618) 632-4671 They don't carry...
  3. verbistheword

Recommendations for complimentary (holiday) (duet) ukulele and guitar books?

Hi all! Do you have any recommendations for complimentary ukulele and guitar books? Holiday or otherwise? Context: I love jamming with my brother, the few times we get to see each other each year. I've been playing ukulele for a little over a year now, and he's been playing guitar for a few...
  4. verbistheword

What are your irresistible sing-along songs?

Hey UUers! I started playing ukulele in large part because I adore sing-alongs. Which songs get the most participation when you play them for informal groups, like friends or family? I'm especially looking for the songs that folks love so much, they start singing without prompting. If a song...
  5. verbistheword

Redbud wood in a ukulele?

Hey everybody! Thanks for all the great ideas. Sounds, overall, that it would be a bit risky, but has the possibility to fit nearly any part of the instrument (besides the top, of course, and neck). I like the idea of using it for one of the more decorative purposes, like binding or headstock...
  6. verbistheword

Redbud wood in a ukulele?

Hello UU Luthiers! Have you ever heard of, or would you consider, using redbud wood in any part of a ukulele? Which parts? My parents just trimmed the redbud tree that my grandmother gave them when I was born. I'm wondering if I could eventually have some of the wood built into a ukulele, once...
  7. verbistheword

Where do you buy your strings?

Hi all! Where (online) do you buy your strings? I'd like to buy a set of Aquila Nylgut (same as my current strings) and Worth (to try something new out). For the Worth strings, I'm not sure whether I'd like to try brown or clear first. For now, I'm sticking with reentrant GCEA tuning. I have...
  8. verbistheword

Captcha / Image Verification policy?

Hi there, What's the current image verification policy? I'm still getting the request, and this will be my 18th post--so I'm well over the magical 10 posts number that I've seen in other, older threads. I just posted a careful reply to a recent forum post and it seems to be held in the UU...
  9. verbistheword

Kala spruce top concert (KA-SC) or Cordoba mahogany top concert (20CM)

My first ukulele! A Kala KA-GAC Golden Acacia Concert Hello UU friends! My ukulele arrived from Mim yesterday. It's a beautiful Kala KA-GAC Golden Acacia Concert. It sounds lovely, and its details are perfect. The only thing stopping me from playing* my new uke constantly is my current lack of...
  10. verbistheword

Greetings from a newbie in Washington, DC!

Hello everyone! I'm excited to join the community here at Ukulele Underground, and hope to get some help getting started—I haven't even bought my first ukulele yet. (But you can help me decide. I'd really appreciate it!) My interest in uke started when I was in fourth grade, when a teacher...
  11. verbistheword

Kala spruce top concert (KA-SC) or Cordoba mahogany top concert (20CM)

Hello folks! I'm preparing to buy my first ukulele, and looking to choose between the following: Kala spruce top concert (KA-SC) Cordoba mahogany top concert (20CM) :::Why these two?::: I'll be buying my uke from a local shop in Washington, DC, where I may eventually take lessons and will...
Top Bottom