2 First Ukuleles for Father and Son

Shaw

Reaction score
I would like to buy 2 sopranos for my elementary aged son and I to learn together. I’ve been searching threads and reading/watching reviews for weeks and I think I’m ready to ask for help.

Things that are important to me:
-Quality/tone/playability (I’ve played many instruments and would rather pay more up front than need to upgrade in a few months)
-Durability (at least 1 of them will be handled unsupervised by the boy, travel around the world, and see sand and water)
-Different but complementary (I want them each to offer something different and for the kid and I to both be able to play both)

Models I’m considering in roughly rank order:
-Martin OXK (I really like that it looks traditional but can take on the elements)
-Outdoor Ukulele Standard (ideal durability and cost for the kid, but I’ve read it might not be ideal for a young player to learn on)
-Ohana SK-38 (love the vintage look and sound, but worried the boy might be too hard on it given the chance)
-Mainland Mango Pineapple (I like that it’s different, but maybe too different for now, plus the same kid concerns)
-Flea (I don’t naturally love the look/shape but it seems so practical, well-liked, and maybe a good pair for something else)

What would a good combo be? Any huge knowledge gaps I need to fill before I buy?

Last edited:
You could go with flea and fluke as well. If you order from them, they can laser engrave names.

I would suggest, for the boy, Makala Dolphin. It has decent enough sound and it is DURABLE. I own dozens of Ukes, some of them high end expensive ones, and to be honest, I enjoy playing the Dolphin. The important thing is a good set up, especially for low end Uke. I got mine at Mim's Uke (Mimsukes.com), she did a great set up. I probably played the Dolphin way more than any of my other Ukes. It is just easy to let the Dolphin laying around in the house and pick it up to play at anytime, while my other high end Ukes are "safely protected" in their cases.
Mike at Ukerepublic.com will also set up your Uke right.

I think you are on the right track, looking for quality right away rather than needing to upgrade later on. Can you tell us your budget? Uke prices have an open end, giving you some of the nicest finishes and marvelously figured woods, but my own experience is that the best value starts at about $300 USD. This will give you an all solid wood instrument from a well respected brand such as Pono, or maybe stretch for a KoAloha Opio.

I also think you should go for two different instruments (your third point): this will provide the two of you with a chance to try two different sizes and brands. Perhaps you'll end up preferring the instrument intended for your son and vice versa, and if one of you abandons the instrument, the other one can pick it up and go on playing it. As for complementary, I'd say most ukes will fit in with most other ukes.

With this, I'd go for a Concert and Tenor, or a Soprano and a Concert. As for brands, my own picks would be Pono, Romero Creations, and/or KoAloha Opio. Personally, I'd stay away from the plastic stuff. For travelling, I'd rather take a Romero XS, ST, or TT along. Might be a good way for your son to learn to handle something valuable with care. Definitely a great way to open the realm of music for him (and yourself).

Good luck!

So you don't want to upgrade, that means buying a decent uke to start with, & whilst you say soprano, I always recommend a concert, or maybe a long neck soprano, if you really like the sound.

Ohana or Kala, solid top, or all solid mahogany, would be my choice.

Have you actually tried to play a Soprano?

They are minute and can be uncomfortable to play for many people.

I agree with Keith do look at a Concert or Tenor for yourself.

That said a mid range price solid timber instrument would not be my ideal choice of one to travel with, due to the vast range of temperature and humidity for such use then consider a Carbon body.

Thanks so much everyone! This is hugely helpful and I’ll be carefully researching the new recommendations that I’m not familiar with (Makala Dolphin and Romero Creations) and looking closer at Pono, KoAloha Opio, and Kala.

My budget is flexible, but I’ll probably have to answer some hard questions to the wife if I get much above $500 total for both ukes.

So taking this feedback into account, I might revise my original criteria to:
-1 concert and 1 soprano
-At least 1 all solid wood and maybe the other still durable, but maybe not all plastic like the Outdoor

Edit: maybe I should take it a step further and look for an all solid concert and then a durable soprano that would be the kids primary and then shared for travel.

Yes, I have played a soprano but not recently. I prefer the sounds of sopranos and concerts over tenors and baritones and thought the soprano might be slightly better for both the kid and travel, but now I’m thinking 1 concert and 1 soprano.

I would like to buy 2 sopranos for my elementary aged son and I to learn together. I’ve been searching threads and reading/watching reviews for weeks and I think I’m ready to ask for help.

Things that are important to me:
-Quality/tone/playability (I’ve played many instruments and would rather pay more up front than need to upgrade in a few months)
-Durability (at least 1 of them will be handled unsupervised by the boy, travel around the world, and see sand and water)
-Different but complementary (I want them each to offer something different and for the kid and I to both be able to play both)

Models I’m considering in roughly rank order:
-Martin OXK (I really like that it looks traditional but can take on the elements)
-Outdoor Ukulele Standard (ideal durability and cost for the kid, but I’ve read it might not be ideal for a young player to learn on)
-Ohana SK-38 (love the vintage look and sound, but worried the boy might be too hard on it given the chance)
-Mainland Mango Pineapple (I like that it’s different, but maybe too different for now, plus the same kid concerns)
-Flea (I don’t naturally love the look/shape but it seems so practical, well-liked, and maybe a good pair for something else)

What would a good combo be? Any huge knowledge gaps I need to fill before I buy?

To be honest you’re seeking an answer to a question that has no simple and universally correct answer. If you want to make a one-off purchase that will perfectly fit your needs then you’re virtually certain to be disappointed. I suggest that you think of this as a multistage process instead, hence most of us here have multiple Ukes and expect to trade them as we progress towards our individual ideal.

Someone suggested Dolphins and they can be great Ukes (my own one is well worn, second hand and well loved; some other Ukes sound a bit better but for home and beach/outdoor use that difference is rarely important). Kala do their KA 15 series, they don’t cost much but once set-up - for all Ukes a good set-up is near essential - they play well enough for most folk and are durable. [edit. Going the KA-15 route as a start point for you and your Son would be logical, and it could be years before you actually need anything better] Size wise I suggest one Soprano and one Concert; Tenors can be a bit bulky and the fretboard can be a bit too long for some hands - I sold my Tenor for both those reasons.

Last edited:
I’m so glad I asked for help. I am completely rethinking this concept. I’m currently thinking of going one of these routes.

1) Buy 2 moderately priced instruments (maybe a Flea Soprano and Mainland Red Cedar/Rosewood Concert)

Or

2) Buy 1 cheap soprano (Makala Dolphin) and 1 nicer concert (maybe an Ohana CK-39 or even a KoAloha Opio Solid Acacia)

I’m so glad I asked for help. I am completely rethinking this concept. I’m currently thinking of going one of these routes.

1) Buy 2 moderately priced instruments (maybe a Flea Soprano and Mainland Red Cedar/Rosewood Concert)

Or

2) Buy 1 cheap soprano (Makala Dolphin) and 1 nicer concert (maybe an Ohana CK-39 or even a KoAloha Opio Solid Acacia)

This! I have a dolphin and it is durable and easy to play. Sounds good, too. Get yourself a nice concert.

I thought about all this advice and was surprised by how well-liked the Dolphins/Sharks are and I decided to buy 2 Sharks—1 soprano and 1 concert—from Uke Republic to make sure they have a good setup.

My plan is to start learning with the boy on these and take some time to decided if I prefer the size of a soprano or a concert. Once I have that decision made, I’ll review the budget (thinking $500ish) and buy a good quality solid wood instrument for myself. I’m really liking the KoAloha Opio solid acacia models right now.

Good thinking, great way to go: find out what you like and then go for an upgrade in the respective size and with a well respected brand (although my first advice was to skip the entry level…).

I thought about all this advice and was surprised by how well-liked the Dolphins/Sharks are and I decided to buy 2 Sharks—1 soprano and 1 concert—from Uke Republic to make sure they have a good setup.

My plan is to start learning with the boy on these and take some time to decided if I prefer the size of a soprano or a concert. Once I have that decision made, I’ll review the budget (thinking $500ish) and buy a good quality solid wood instrument for myself. I’m really liking the KoAloha Opio solid acacia models right now.

You won’t go far wrong with that first choice, and once they start to hold you back a little (say two years on from now) they make good beaters. My own Dolphins have had fluorocarbon strings and bone saddles fitted to them, and that really makes a big difference to the sound quality. A strap can be fitted to them too, if you wish, but it takes a bit of thought as the plastic body doesn’t take a screw - pm me if you want details of what to do.

A friend has the Opio you like and I do envy it, it sounds and looks wonderful, but you have to play something for an extended time to see how it actually works for you. Maybe when I’ve played for five or six years I’ll be nearly good enough to justify the cost to myself.

Last edited:
I feel really good about it. I originally said I didn’t want to upgrade in a few months, but I realized that I need to spend some time with the 2 sizes and see what works for me before I commit to a quality instrument. If I would have chosen the wrong mid-level ukes, I bet I could lose at least that that in the resale.

The way I see it, this is a little over $100 invested in figuring out my size. Once that’s accomplished, I’ll have durable ukes for my boy to play or for travel/beach/bonfire use.

I’ve played guitar for around 15 years, so I’m guessing I might be ready sooner rather than later. I’m leaning toward the KoAloha Opio I mentioned, but I’m also attracted to Ohanas and learning more options on here every day.

Sounds like the perfect choice! I've thought about getting a Shark concert, too . . .

Update after we've spent some time playing the ukes. This was the PERFECT choice for introducing my son to stringed instruments and getting to know my preferences for ukes. The Sharks had a great setup from Uke Republic (especially considering that buying from them was just barely more expensive than Amazon) and they are very easy to play (I translated over very easily from guitar with the help of a chord dictionary because I was a finger-picker to start with). I'm just letting my son play around and get comfortable with his before I take teaching him too seriously and it's been ideal to not worry about him damaging a pricier instrument. These are absolutely adequate while being exactly what I was looking for in terms of durability around kids, travel, water, sand, dirt, etc.--just great.

I've learned that my preference is for concerts and that I wouldn't want to go any bigger. I am curious about trying low G, but I honestly don't care for the sound clips I've listened to when compared to high G so I'm going to press myself to adapt my playing style to high G. I'm also not going to make it long before upgrading to a solid wood model because I do feel a craving for better tone and sustain, but I've changed my mind about not wanting to own multiple ukes and go through the multi-stage process. Ukes are so affordable compared to what my guitars used to cost and I'm honestly enjoying playing them more. Even if I don't buy/sell perfectly, I'm not going to be at risk for taking too big of a loss relative to what I'm learning from playing different ukes. I'm going to chronicle my desires for a solid uke and post a WTB on the marketplace forum to see what's out there used before I invest in anything too high dollar.

Thanks again for all the advice everyone.

Multiple Ukes is not a bad way to go.

An acoustic high G concert.

Then maybe a solid wood all electric low G concert/ tenor

Would give you the best of all worlds

Top Bottom