2 hr wedding

h-drix

Reaction score
so on craigslist i saw an add for an ukulele player for a wedding. I need to play for 2 hrs straight. its not for five months so i think i should be able to get in to shape. question, how much should i charge? im thinking about $100-150. and im just going to find songs though the "clickable list of tabs" (thank you seeso)

i honestly dont know if i should withdraw inquirer. Its someones wedding so i don't want to ruin it.

I'd check your local rates, but it sounds low in my area, especially for a reception -- and even for a solo performer. The prices you quoted sound like bar gig rates, not wedding rates.

Is this the ceremony or the reception? These are usually considered separate prices. Your first price would often cover the hourly rate after the flat fee of the first two hours for a reception (flat fee plus $100 [or whatever] per hour after the initial two hours). You could maybe charge that rate ($100-150) for the ceremony alone.

If you do the ceremony, you'll need to check if there are any liturgical pieces you need to be aware of ... for example, a Catholic wedding is a Mass, and there are Mass parts you need to play. Other than that, there may be certain pieces you have to play (for general seating, for seating of parents, groom's entrance, bride's entrance, recessional). There could other things: I had one ceremony where I had to play music for the lighting of a unity candle. Be careful about music ... while it may be cool to learn a song (or maybe, maybe two) for them, you need to present your setlist to show them what you have available.

If you do the reception, be sure that they are aware that you are solo (if you plan on doing it solo, that is) and that what you do will work best as cocktail/dinner entertainment ... playing the Hokey Pokey and the Chicken Dance or other general dance music won't work as well solo.

If the gig is for both the ceremony and the reception, just charge your reception base fee.

so on craigslist i saw an add for an ukulele player for a wedding. I need to play for 2 hrs straight. its not for five months so i think i should be able to get in to shape. question, how much should i charge? im thinking about $100-150. and im just going to find songs though the "clickable list of tabs" (thank you seeso)

i honestly dont know if i should withdraw inquirer. Its someones wedding so i don't want to ruin it.

lmfao, I wouldnt if I were you.

I'd check your local rates, but it sounds low in my area, especially for a reception -- and even for a solo performer. The prices you quoted sound like bar gig rates, not wedding rates.

Yup. Rule of thumb is that any product or service that has the word "wedding" or "bridal" attached to it automatically doubles in price. :D

Don't forget that, if your music is an integral part of the service, you may be asked to show up for the rehearsal the day before. Factor that in when you're coming up with a price.

Some of the pieces in John King's "Classical Ukulele" book might be good to learn ("Jesu" is pretty much a wedding standard). They ain't easy though.

JJ

You will also want to check with the couple and see if they have a favorite song or two. Whatever "their" song may be, it might not come across well on the uke.

Two hours jamming with a bunch of friends is one thing. Two hours as a stand alone player is another deal altogether. Charge enough to make it worth your practice, travel, rehearsal, and playing time. Then knock 'em dead!

Harold O.
www.westhillswood.com
www.hopublishing.com

If the gig is for both the ceremony and the reception, just charge your reception base fee.

I agree, I play professionally here in Lexington, KY. Mainly, solo guitar gigs, but I also have a 2 hr. ukulele wedding reception gig coming up in June. I will be playing before the DJ who will providing the dance music later for that evening. For the 2 hr gig I am charging $300. If I were to play a regular 4 hr gig it would have been $500.

This price to the medium to low end of the wedding pricing in this area. DJ or live entertainer. Wedding (or private gigs) are important event, therefore, the quality and the pricing should reflect that.

One thing to remember when promoting yourself, if you charge to low, your client is probably wondering why., i.e. They're probably thinking...low price = low quality and will probably pass you up for another performer.
Hope this helps out..e.lo..

PS. If you don't want the gig. I'll take it, but not for $150 bucks. Hahaha...

thanks for all the advice. unfortuantely i relaized the date of the wedding was very close to the start date of summer classes at Drexel, and i was afraid that the dates would cross over. Last thing i want to do was have to go to philly and ditch a wedding; so i emailed the couple and gave them the name/email of another performer.

Im really bummed cause this would of been a great chance. Once my new uke comes in (my cheapo ukes A string is not usable) and i practice awhole lot more then im going to post my services on creigslist, hopefully something will come my way.

Yup. Rule of thumb is that any product or service that has the word "wedding" or "bridal" attached to it automatically doubles in price. :D

:D

Wedding gigs attract professional musicians, whereas bar gigs attract pro and amateur alike -- which is generally why the rates are lower for typical bar gigs. Not saying that amateurs don't play weddings (they do), but for them it's usually a one-time deal (or something done infrequently). You pay better prices for wedding musicians due to experience, professionalism, and consistent results. :cheers:

Top Bottom