2 String Questions

mangorockfish

Reaction score
I have a Big Island tenor with a set of red strings that I think are Kalas, but not for sure, but the C and E strings are wound. Why is that? Also have a set of Aquilas on my new Ohana tenor that seem to be larger diameter than usual. Would the same type of strings for tenor and concert be the same size only different lengths?

Wound strings give you a different sound/feel that some people like. They're more resonant and have more sustain. Some people feel that unwound strings on the lower registers (low g and c) can be dull or thuddy sounding. I don't know that I've ever seen a wound E on a tenor, though.

For your second question, it depends on the string manufacturer. I have some packs of strings (like Uke Logics, and Pop's UkeSA strings) that can be used on soprano, concert, or tenor. Other sets are soprano/concert, with tenor being different.

Wound strings give you a different sound/feel that some people like. They're more resonant and have more sustain. Some people feel that unwound strings on the lower registers (low g and c) can be dull or thuddy sounding. I don't know that I've ever seen a wound E on a tenor, though.

For your second question, it depends on the string manufacturer. I have some packs of strings (like Uke Logics, and Pop's UkeSA strings) that can be used on soprano, concert, or tenor. Other sets are soprano/concert, with tenor being different.
Thank you. The C and E are both wound. I can't remember the brand, but I believe they are Kalas. I think they were the only company that made them when I put them on.

Thank you. The C and E are both wound. I can't remember the brand, but I believe they are Kalas. I think they were the only company that made them when I put them on.

I have never previously heard of a wound "E" string. Wound G and C strings for sure.
I suspect the strings are someones private experiment.
As to Kala strings I had never heard of them, however a quick search shows that Kala does put its own brand on a couple of special sets from regular string manufacturers.

They aren't anything like what you describe however.

I have never previously heard of a wound "E" string. Wound G and C strings for sure.
I suspect the strings are someones private experiment.
As to Kala strings I had never heard of them, however a quick search shows that Kala does put its own brand on a couple of special sets from regular string manufacturers.

They aren't anything like what you describe however.
Yes, they do package a set of browns, from Worth.

Top Bottom