36 vs 38mm Nut ?

Most ukes come in 36 and 38 nuts. Anyone know of ukes with smaller ones? My fingers constantly fall between the strings. I'd like to be able to do an E chord as 4442 instead of 4447 because the voicing sounds so different on the E further up the neck. yes i know its a practice practice, practice chord, but I have a bent fingertip not allowing me too hit it cleanly. I think a little less space between strings would help
Yeah I could play all the chords up the neck but the songs just don't sound right to me.

man0a

Most ukes come in 36 and 38 nuts. Anyone know of ukes with smaller ones? My fingers constantly fall between the strings. I'd like to be able to do an E chord as 4442 instead of 4447 because the voicing sounds so different on the E further up the neck. yes i know its a practice practice, practice chord, but I have a bent fingertip not allowing me too hit it cleanly. I think a little less space between strings would help
Yeah I could play all the chords up the neck but the songs just don't sound right to me.
Most imported ukuleles (e.g., Kala and Ohana) have 1.375" (34.9mm) nut widths. Most Koolau, Pono, and soprano and concert Kamakas also use this nut width.

Ukecaster

If looking for tenors, the Martin tenors, like the T1K, have thin nut width, at 1 11/32", which equates to 34.12mm. About the skinniest nut I've played. For some reason, Martin sops and concerts both have wider nuts than their tenors.

Last edited:
Hmmmm my Kala soprano is 34.6 the concert is 35. I'm cleaner with the soprano, but I just dont like the sound of it vs my low g cedar concert. Yeah its a cheap Kala and ohta san plays low g soprano, but I don't know if I want to shell out major money yet. Tried a low g on it and it sounded godawful but its probably just the uke.