5 String Ukulele

pszy22

I own a 5 string ukulele (both a low and high G) that I enjoy very much. Anyone know of a source to buy a set of replacement strings that contains all 5 strings? Short of finding a source, the other option would be to get a set of 4 and a single additional string.

Thanks for any advice.

Voran

Ooooooh. A 5 string with a low and high option? *drools*

Sporky

I don't know specific sets of strings but if you're in the US I would definitely go to stringsbymail.com .
If you like fluorocarbon strings you could try a normal Worth high G set combined with their single low g which is sold separately too (B-LG but available in either clear or brown). Their sets seem expensive but they're long enough to make two sets by design.

merlin666

I don't know specific sets of strings but if you're in the US I would definitely go to stringsbymail.com .
If you like fluorocarbon strings you could try a normal Worth high G set combined with their single low g which is sold separately too (B-LG but available in either clear or brown)
My choice would be the Kanile'a set, as 5 string Kanile'a are just the ultimate for that kind of uke, and that may be also due that they pick good strings.

M3Ukulele

I purchased my first five string this year. Very nice. Lots of fun. I don’t know of any five string sets until the mention above by Kanile’a which would seems to be a Super Nylgut high g set with a wound low g added.

My strategy moving forward is to buy high g sets of whatever I want to try and add a low g. My ukulele came with Super Nylgut and low G installed. First change I went to Oasis warn high g and added a D'Addario .029 low g or basically a D string off a classical guitar set. The Low g was from a local guitar store….the Oasis I had from last String by Mail order.

The next order I do for strings will be Strings by Mail . I’ll order a Fremont soloist low g. I’ll try couple low g wound from Aquila. I’ll get my usual assortment of string in high G. Might even try the expensive TI string.

merlin666

I think this is the most common approach approach - to just add re-entrant and linear G strings. This has the disadvantage that there is much more tension on that combined G than on any other strings. It is disappointing that there seems to be no company that offers a "balanced" set for 5 string ukes where tension is more evenly distributed. This is done for good 6 and 8 string sets. For my 6 string, I use the Aquila New Nylgut set that comes with a red low A string, though I have also used a wound Aquila A and currently have a d'Addario 26 that also blends in well.

SailingUke

Uke legend in my own mind
UU VIP
Ken Middleton’s Living Waters has a 5 string set.
I usually buy this set even for tenors, I have extra string.

merlin666

Ken Middleton’s Living Waters has a 5 string set.
I usually buy this set even for tenors, I have extra string.
This is one where just two G strings from regular sets are combined, so will have the doubled tension as well.

Arik

“Where words fail, music speaks.”
UU VIP
You could contact Joel at Uke Logic. He does custom string sets.

Kenn2018

UU VIP
UU VIP
If you're really concerned about the tension, you could use concert length Gs instead.

Stringsandbeyond.com is another good resource.

There was a string tension chart thread put together by a member a few months ago in the Forum. Maybe you could use that to mix and match strings to get a preferred balance.

pszy22

Thanks folks! Several good options for me to investigate.

kissing

I always have a few classical guitar D strings handy for low-G.
Hence I'd order a standard re-entrant ukulele set and use the classical guitar D string for the low-G.

Note: Classical guitar 1st string (high E) can be used as a high-G string on ukulele.