500! The Songs of Ukulele Underground

Flatbaroque

I’ve enjoyed hearing when people first participated in the seasons. Mine was 323 Outlaw Country..one of Kev’s. I was excited cause I had an old original about a country outlaw. So excited that I didn’t read the rules properly and posted an old video. Kev the gent he is forgave my mistake and let it ride. Been posting fresh since :)

Yukio

Yeah, I live in Switzerland, but I am an Oregon boy originally.
My Eugene peeps hosted (past tense? We shall see...) a sweet little festival each October called UKETOBERFEST. It was something I looked forward to each year and met many wonderful people there.
Aldrine made an appearance one year and though he was shivering a bit in the fresh autumn air, the UU Crew shot a tutorial for the Todd Rundgren classic, I SAW THE LIGHT. It features Brook Adams and Keith Blackwell, the founders of the festival.
It is mega-sweet; a very nice and simple arrangement in a uke-friendly key. I chose to throw it out anyway. I dunno, but I just like the way things laid out in the original key, which hovers somewhere between G and Ab. I am playing it in Ab.

Last edited:

elmann

Just searched, and found my first entry for SOTU 26 (but maybe there was one before, I remember Lady in Red...)
Although I miss Jokos posts at the thread's entry (software/forum quirks), at least it's possible to post! Thanks to pabrizzer, who remembered me about indicated song(list)s. Just waiting for some friends we haven't seen for a long while, I did a fast cellphone shot.
Friends just arrived, but I hope to do another song...

CeeJay

Been along here since number 92, Matty Dee's Nonsense Season.

For this one I'm bringing a bit of trad jazz....I noticed

"Oh When The Saints (Go Marching In)" on the UU list and so .

A jam between me on uke and clarinet .....Uke many years in and clarinet just the two lol.

Ukecaster

Have been away for a couple of weeks, so can't use my extensive home recording studio setup (cellphone in the basement, ha ha). Anyhoo, will slum with cellphone in the seaside cottage living room 😃 Song is Sweet Pea, by Amos Lee.

Joko

Can't wait to catch up on what I've missed... It's the weekend here in Burma, so I can catch up... Maybe do one more song...
THis one just happened onto this frame as the thumbnail!

joo

thanks for hosting, Joko!
Jon and I recorded something to celebrate the big 500, using a video we made in 2016 for Season 226 - It's About Time!, hosted by Randy.

Happy 500!

pabrizzer

paoriginal for season 500
inspired by the season and the needle work "ukelear power" i received from we tigers way back when
also wearing the tshirt i got from thesillydave who has an insane amount of hats - who would do that!
on hats - i reckon we need a seasons of the ukulele cap

Last edited:

elmann

A season special in the morning, voice and other parts still booting ;)... hope to be far enough away from sleeping wife and guests, and did xxx takes until this rough lyrics were done:

UkingViking

I noticed that the playlist is missing a few songs from before the halfway wheel, even though they have comments from out host. I hope this can be fixed :)

I joined for season 202. It was a duet theme, but luckily I managed to get some help from Linda Louden to turn my song into a duet!

EmmaX

UU VIP
UU VIP

Season 500? Amazing!!
I love the chord progression with this song (though I had to transpose it from the UU tutorial video so I could hit the high notes!)

Just When I Needed You Most

wee_ginga_yin

I was in the seasons from the very beginning and have only missed a few. I thought it fitting that my very last song should be "come together" because that has been the theme for me over these 500 seasons. thanks for the memories

Jim Yates

elmann said:
Got that! Great wordplay!

pabrizzer said:
who has an insane amount of hats - who would do that!
elmann said:
*ROTFLMAA* 😂😂😂😂😂😂🤣
But a seasonista cap would be great...

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Port Hope is the location of a nuclear plant called Cameco (formerly Eldorado Nuclear). The Northumberland Ukulele Orchestra met in a Port Hope pub, The Beamish House. This organisation was known as N'UkeO.

My darlin' lovely wife would say that I also have an insane number of hats. The Maple Leaf Champions Jug Band always wear hats when we perform and I like to mix it up a bit.

Attachments

• jimheadshot2.jpg
    jimheadshot2.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Hat#1.jpg
    Hat#1.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Hat#6.jpg
    Hat#6.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Hat#12.jpg
    Hat#12.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 1
  • Hat#18.jpg
    Hat#18.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Hatgatsby a.jpg
    Hatgatsby a.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 1

uke4ia

I’ve been taking part in the Seasons since the beginning. It began with Chrimess’ “Six Seasons of the Ukulele”. Season 1 was the week of Valentine’s Day in 2012, and the theme was off-kilter love songs. I was one of two people who played 10cc’s “I’m Not in Love”. The second week’s theme was Grammy nominated artists. We also did Hawaiian songs, Chrimess’ favorite ‘90s bands, and (for St. Patrick’s day) Irish music. The sixth of the original themes isn’t coming to me at the moment. Edit: My old man memory got it wrong -- the Grammy season was Season 1 and off-kilter love songs were Season 2. And the Season I couldn't remember was Oscar-winning songs.

At the end, we all liked having weekly themes, and the idea of quickly finding and learning a song to fit the theme. There were other aspects we didn’t like as much. During the Six Seasons, everybody was given a numerical score on their video each week, and the scoring included weird criteria like how much you smiled into the camera while performing. The list of everyone’s grade was posted for all to see, and naturally it was pretty demoralizing for the people who got the lowest scores. As we continued the Seasons, posting people’s scores quickly dropped by the wayside.

Ralf is the only one who has taken part in every Season. Every 100 Seasons, I update my tally of how many I’ve done. This is the 366th Season I’ve done (73%). I’ve probably made videos of at least twice that many songs, and most of them are songs I’d never have gotten around to learning otherwise. For me, like many others, making all these videos has improved my playing and singing, and made me much better at figuring out the chords (when the Internet didn’t provide). Many folks who have left the Seasons over the years did so because they had gotten good enough that they started gigging! Probably my favorite part has been figuring out my own arrangements for songs, which is why I quickly decided not to use any of Aldrine’s songs this week.

This is an original song, the second song I’ve written ABOUT the Seasons. And here's a lyric I didn’t find a place to fit into it:

Thank you, Chris, and thank you, Aldrine
For allowing us to stir the cauldron!

Lyrics:

And so I traveled with my friends five hundred seasons
Along the path some came and went, they all had their reasons
But songs kept opening the door to let the breeze in
Until this ride comes to a stop, please keep your hands and knees in

Across five hundred seasons, this procession never fell apart
The strum was greater than its parts!

And every season had a theme, each one held a feeling
And we all had our own approach, our own way of dealing
‘Cause everyone brought something slightly different to the table
And those who thought themselves beginners learned that they were able

Across five hundred seasons, this procession never fell apart
The strum was greater than its parts!

And so I travel with my friends as the seasons roll on
It’s the lack of any end that I set my goal on
Still I may rest up for a while if I have a lean year
But they’re my friends and in the end I’m bound to meet them back here

Last edited:

ukuloonie2

Wow thats amazing that we reached #500, Thanks to all who continued through the years and Ukulele Underground for having this great forum to share the Love of the Ukulele.
Heres my Contribution, City of Stars. I found another version than Aldrines and tweaked it a little.
Thanks again for those who continued on this great journey.
Drew.

Last edited: