500! The Songs of Ukulele Underground

Joko

Reaction score
They've come from Tasmania, Cambodia and Catalonia. They've shared from Finland, Portland and Switzerland. They've called themselves Seasonistas, listening and supporting one another in the thousands.

We've come to a momentous milestone and an Ukulele Underground pioneer, Mr Aldrine Guererro, gives us a hand in its introduction.

I can say without reservation that the Seasons of the Ukulele community has been an essential aspect of my evolving love of music. The supportiveness of the membership, the inspiration of listening to amazing performances and the just plain longevity of this group has been a weekly bright spot in my life for nearly 10 years now. Every week, it's been something different. Every week, you hear something unlike anything you've heard before. Every week, there's things to be learned.

Pabrizzer, Jon Duncan, and Ralph are a few that I think have been here since the beginning - my first week was #31. I really have very little connection with how it started, except that it was initially meant to be a contest of 4 weeks, matching the 4 seasons. 496 seasons later, here we are. We've seen a lot of turnover in the contributors over the years. Some wander away and find other interests, and some have gone to play uke in the next plane of existence, but it's always great to see and hear the return of an old timer. Even more so, the newcomers to our little 'contest' are perhaps the most interesting part of each week.

All throughout this ukulele journey, we've been a part of the Ukulele Underground Forum, which continues tp thrive, year after year. Some have noted this is somewhat surprising as digital forums like this have been on a decline as a format for some time. The community has spread onto Facebook, Instagram and Discord, but the "Old Forum" remains where it's at it in my book.

Let me end my missive here before I start tearing up.... I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!

As was noted in the introductory video, be inspired and learn something new this week from the crew that's been the foundation of this place since 2008. Play a song from the Song Library at ukuleleunderground.com. There's around 350 songs, tutorials and in-depth full lessons to choose from. Many of them (marked with an orange UU+ tag) are for members only, and although you won't get the benefit of the video help, you can still cover the song! If you'd like to go deeper and browse the depths of their collection, browse the 1300+ videos at the Ukulele Underground channel. You can write an original with Ukulele Underground or the Seasons of the Ukulele itself as your theme.

With the original 4 Seasons in mind, please consider 4 songs as a soft cap on your entries. If you're so compelled by the theme this week that you want to exceed the cap, go right ahead and do so.

A winner will be chosen randomly via an online picker wheel. Each contribution adds another spot on the wheel.

Each contribution also helps the world become a little better place. For each song you contribute that can be shown uploaded somewhere on the UU channel, another 1000 Myanmar Kyats* are added to prize pool. This amount will then be donated to a reputable charity of the winner's choice.

NOTE - THE DONATION WILL THEN BE MATCHED+ BY THE UKULELE UNDERGROUND! In other words, whatever this community raises in total, the UU has promised to match and exceed that donation.

Speaking of money, week 499 is still open for another day or two, so please drop by our "Going out for Business" week.

All the regular terms apply, so 12:00 am Hawaii Time, 13 September, is the opening bell for contributions.

Have fun this week!

PLAYLIST
Ukulele Underground Music Library

Last edited:
#39 was my first season - hosted by The Silly Dave - been a regular since then - i saw a brilliant video on youtube by Jon Duncan called Sparkle and Shine (a Steve Earle song) which had Seasons of the Ukulele in the description which lead me here
Wim had been a very regular season participant until very recently - he usually brought a U2 song
Ralf has been a constant since season 1

Last edited:
Perfect theme, Joko, to celebrate this unimaginably amazing milestone!

Back in March 2012, I doubt that any of us who kept the Seasons going beyond chrimess's original contest thought we'd continue for an entire year. Yet here we are nearly a decade later, still learning and sharing and growing together through our love of music and our shared fondness for a particularly sweet little instrument.

From my heart, thank you to everyone who's made and who continues to make this unique community my favorite corner of the worldwide web!! And extra big wow-you're-so-amazing-THANK-YOUs to the UU crew for building and maintaining this wonderful online space!

Perfect theme, Joko, to celebrate this unimaginably amazing milestone!

Back in March 2012, I doubt that any of us who kept the Seasons going beyond chrimess's original contest thought we'd continue for an entire year. Yet here we are nearly a decade later, still learning and sharing and growing together through our love of music and our shared fondness for a particularly sweet little instrument.

From my heart, thank you to everyone who's made and who continues to make this unique community my favorite corner of the worldwide web!! And extra big wow-you're-so-amazing-THANK-YOUs to the UU crew for building and maintaining this wonderful online space!
Pretty amazing that a few of you have managed to stick around and participate in every single season! Hopefully 500 brings some folks out who for whatever reasons, have not been able to participate lately ~

Oof…first song on the page is Hotel California- time to dig deeper ;) and my god…has it been nine years?
Oh yes- I got the original invite (nope), judged 14 and finally got the guts to play on 16…been a long haul and over a thousand video laughs. Thanks guys. This has been a lot of fun!

Last edited:
My submission for the week is this tribute to the Seasons and the Seasonistes (spelt with an "E" at the end because that's how we do feminine plurals in Catalan).

I had another verse mapped out about the friends I have made here. But it would have made the song too long and Ralf has summed up my feelings on his post above.

Hope you enjoy:

Hi Joko and Aldrine! Thanks for hosting on this special occasion!

I've dabbled in music for years, never especially seriously or competently, but at the beginning of the pandemic I thought I'd have another crack at the uke - having learned three chords years ago then left it in the bottom of a cupboard - since I didn't have much better to do with my spare time. Then when trying to decide whether to get a baritone, I stumbled on one of Bob King's Seasons videos and decided I had to have one, and maybe get the courage to post a video myself one day... I haven't been here a year yet myself, but I'm delighted that you've all been going on long enough for me to join in! Congratulations everyone! There's a great supportive community and I'm sure this 6 week contest will keep going to week 1000 and beyond.

Anyway, a song... there's a playalong of this Van Morrison number on UU (link in the description), though G is too high for me so I did it in D instead. With overdubs of a concert uke, and backing vocals from The Steamers.

Thanks Joko and all who make this place possible. Only a couple songs grabbed me on that list. So ..an original in stead. A song about the seasons...sort of.

Underground she found

A treasure chest of songs

Tin pan alley played the wages

She’d been diggin’ deep for ages

For a blue note to fill her sound

How tight can a spring be wound?

Underground she found

A season of belief

She augmented and diminished

As every verse was finished

The chorus came to town

With blue notes tumbling down

Underground she found

A season of regret

As she flattened a blessed five

It made her come alive

Alas the season grows old

She wants another season to roll

Little fingers searching for gold

She needs a thousand seasons to roll

She wants a thousand seasons to roll

You have got to think Dickens and tiny Tim. You have to think slums and hardship... the gorbals in Glasgow... a mixture of hope and pathos... experiencing the worst but hoping for the best... cheery words belying the awful circumstances... unseasonal have yourself a very merry Christmas from a dour Scotland

sure hoping for lots of vids this week and was also really hoping we'd see some seasonistas we haven't seen or heard from in a while
only one day down so still plenty of time i guess..........

thank you Joko for hosting this week.
thank you to Ryan, Anaka, Aldrine for making this forum such a special place
and maintaining it over so many years.
the UU got me through many lonely times and i am pleased to have served
as a moderator here for several years.
thank you friends here for your encouragement and support of each other
and huge thanks to Christian who came up w/ this wild idea in early 2012.
amazing and so grateful we have continued it. together.
an original song for the season.

Here's a heads up for the easiest song to play on a baritone uke...and it's on the linked UU list. It consists of 2 one finger chords..Em played 2000 and D6/9 played 0200. It's a song about a horse...it's hard to get it's attention...cause it has no .....
I'll leave it to someone else.

Er ... that "horse song," John???? Actually, I know no shame as I have chosen the very first song on the beginner list ... but I LIKE it! Thank you very much, Joko for this very appropriate theme to celebrate such a momentous occasion. I joined the Seasons at #215, when Jon had a week of one and two chord songs. I was of the opinion that it was never going to get any easier than that ... and Ylle was of the same opinion, as she also joined that week! I can't believe that I have been allowed to inflict my talentless idiocy on you delightful people for five years now ... THANK YOU!!!

Way back before I knew the seasons or even the forum existed, I took a punt on £30 worth of brightly painted wood.

Around that time I stumbled on the tutorials and the latest one was a Chilli Peppers song. So I learnt it. Was great practice for hammer-ons, slides, and picking melodies within a chord progression.

I've tried to remember it as best I could but the end solo is heavily improvised. But I remember that slide up and down on the C string felt good back then and it feels good now.

[Video]

Top Bottom