519: Flashback Time Machine

Recalling Season 451: Stop having fun!

Here‘s a Warren Zevon semi-autobiographical song in which he finds out what a naughty boy he’s been, among other things.

My number was 265, The Golden Age of the Ukulele
The tune is Out of Nowhere (1931.) It was Written by Johnny Green and Edward Heyman and was first recorded by Bing Crosby, becoming his first number one hit as a solo artist.

Last edited:
Back to the 364th Season for me: sing a song from someone else's perspective.

I didn't have a clue what to do, then a middle-aged punk friend sent me a ukulele song request just after their birthday. And it's a song from a teenage punk girl's perspective. That's two other people's perspectives, yeah?

And along with plenty of cursing, it's got some funny lines!

354 was “New-ish” songs, post 2000. This is a Justin Townes Earle song from 2009’s Night At The Movies.

And here is the first one we did for the original season…

... So I logged out, I found the season and spun the wheel, getting SOTU 184 "Instrumentals" in August 2015, hosted by our passed seasonista Harry122/Randy. It wasn't still common to prepare a playlist for the first post. He got a fab number of 146 entries.

I didn't participate in that season, no good stuff/no idea what to do. Some progress did take place, so I'm striving to post some instrumental the next days. Uke on!

sotu184.png

I took Tom Vicar's Polka, which we try also in our ensemble. I found a vid from 2011 and just played along:

Last edited:
I spun a 40 as opposed to drinking one. (this time) Thanks Pabrizzer for the help as I still figure things out here. The challenge SOTU 40 was songs between 1955 and 1962. I opted for this one from 1958.

I have been the worst host ever this week. My apologies.

It's been one of those weeks. We got one more day, I'll get it together.

I am going to do the same tune as I did in the old season I got on the wheel.
The "I worked on a tune but didnt learn it in time" song.
Sorry.

Now I spun 112, primates.
Being a total cheat here but I couldn’t resist sharing this original song with the original video because I can’t do it any better then I did then.
The ukulele I played it on back then got run over by my car!!

I rolled 98 which was MTV, and what song fits the season better than the first music video played on MTV, Video Killed the Radio Star by The Buggles. Cover performed by Kimi & Kev. Video footage from the Prelinger Archive. Hope ya'll enjoy!

In under the wire. I popped on here and thought this sounded like fun so I spun and got #207-spy week. I remember recording for this Season clearly because I spent hours practicing. It was Spy Week and I recorded Goldfinger.

Last edited:
Great idea for the theme this week, Joko - and thanks for hosting! :)

The Time Machine happily took me back to Berni’s Hippy Season 476 - the week I covered my favourite song of all time in collaboration with the glorious (and much missed) Liz Brinker. It was one of our first collaborations and her beautiful vocal harmonies and uke playing lifted our version way beyond expectation.

I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to have another go at it here - though sadly no Liz this time. :cry: I tried to compensate with some synth pads and bass, but she is pretty irreplaceable!

And here’s the version I did with Liz for Berni’s season:

Hi Joko - you’ve missed me off the playlist! Cheers! :)

Like I said, I've been a terrible host this week. So if you find your video was missed in the playlist, no worries, there's plenty of time to add it before the week is over*.

Over?

There's another quirky thing about this week 519. It doesn't end. I said it in the intro video that this week would never expire. No ending date. The previous 518 weeks will live on forever, memoralized on the wheel!

Which leads me to the prizes. Now, I want you to slowly look under whatever it is you happen to be sitting or standing on right now. FInd the envelope underneath and therein you'll find your WINNER'S CERTIFICATE!

Yes, you get a song! and You get a song! Everyone gets to be winners this week! Every Seasonista who's ever participated, past, present, or even future is the joint-winner of Week 519. Yes, for those tens and tens of future contributors who we haven't even met yet - They're also winners! As for the actual prize, yup, to follow Oprah's example, you all get A NEW CAR!!!** Enjoy.

I've forgotten what week it was the spinner gave me for my final round, and I didn't finish it until last night when I just did it live on Facebook. From Jon Duncan's first CD, "I Guess I'll Go and Have Lunch" for BUGS Week.

Congratulations, all.

*Left off the playlist - this is easy to remedy in any week, AKAIK. Click on the "Save" just below and to the right of the video screen on You Tube and there's an option to search for a playlist. Type in 519 Time Machine, ENTER, and you should be able to add whatever you want.

** New car is redeemable upon the completion of the 519 Time Machine

Last edited:
*Left off the playlist - this is easy to remedy in any week, AKAIK. Click on the "Save" just below and to the right of the video screen on You Tube and there's an option to search for a playlist. Type in 519 Time Machine, ENTER, and you should be able to add whatever you want.

At the risk of being pedantic, Joko, are you saying that we need to add the songs we have already done to the Playlist ourselves?

At the risk of being pedantic, Joko, are you saying that we need to add the songs we have already done to the Playlist ourselves?
No, you don't need to, unless there's some urgency. Once my personal problems have resolved themselves, I'll do it.

Like I said, I've been a terrible host this week. So if you find your video was missed in the playlist, no worries, there's plenty of time to add it before the week is over*.

Over?

There's another quirky thing about this week 519. It doesn't end. I said it in the intro video that this week would never expire. No ending date. The previous 518 weeks will live on forever, memoralized on the wheel!

Which leads me to the prizes. Now, I want you to slowly look under whatever it is you happen to be sitting or standing on right now. FInd the envelope underneath and therein you'll find your WINNER'S CERTIFICATE!

Yes, you get a song! and You get a song! Everyone gets to be winners this week! Every Seasonista who's ever participated, past, present, or even future is the joint-winner of Week 519. Yes, for those tens and tens of future contributors who we haven't even met yet - They're also winners! As for the actual prize, yup, to follow Oprah's example, you all get A NEW CAR!!!** Enjoy.

I've forgotten what week it was the spinner gave me for my final round, and I didn't finish it until last night when I just did it live on Facebook. From Jon Duncan's first CD, "I Guess I'll Go and Have Lunch" for BUGS Week.

Congratulations, all.

I couldn't get this to work, maybe you need to have premium youtube?

Top Bottom