536 - For All Your Gilberts

Joko

Reaction score

I've managed to squueze a little power out of the UPS, but the beeping reminds me I'm on emergency battery power... no time!

15 second explanantion above...

Last edited:
* Song by an artist or band who shares your first name. Non-English equivalents okay. Bryans and Brians, Cathy and Kathy... Geoff and Jeff, yes even that. OR the song title or main character shares your name...
That's the main task right there. If you get that done or can't find a way to do so, move on to these other challenges:
* Same as above but using your last name
* Same Initials: Jon Duncan might try Jimmy Durante,for example
* Middle names, knick names,
* names of those we've lost in the Pandemic if they were close to you.....

Charles Edward Anderson Berry - we share the same first name, initials, and occasionally the same nickname ... (unfortunately we don't share the same talent though ... and i can't duckwalk either!)

Great theme, Gilbert! I like themes that ask each participant to have a unique, personal connection to the songs they choose. I'll likely be contributing a tune by my namesake, Brian Eno. And to that end, I thought I'd do a brief promotion for my driveway concert, which will be tonight at 7pm West Coast USA time, in which we will be playing three Brian Eno songs.

Tonight UkeFoote will be kicking off the 2022 Season with a set of (mostly) classic 1970s rock and roll, curated by birthday wallaby Borfus. The set is approximately 70 minutes. You can watch on Zoom (meeting 622 972 7495 password is "wallaby").

poster 5:22.jpg

Hello, Joko and thanks for hosting this week! I spent most of the morning trying to find a song by an artist called Valerie which I liked and couldn't, so I decided to go with my middle name, Lesley - named after my maternal Grandfather. I have always liked this song since I first heard it at the end of "The First Wives' Club." I can't pretend to compete with the likes of Bette Midler, Goldie Hawn and Diane Keaton and most definitely not with Lesley Gore, who was only 17 when she recorded the original. And the lines about being "young" have to be taken with a pinch of salt. However, herewith ...

I am going for maximum points here, because, yes, there's another Steve Phillips. A fine blues/ragtime guitarist & singer, who was in The Notting Hillbillies with Mark Knopfler. He lives about 40 miles from here, and about 35 years ago he played every month at a pub in York, some of the happiest nights ever.
My links with him got slightly strange a few years later, when I took up watercolour painting. Steve is also a very accomplished painter, and on three occasions I sold paintings to people who thought I was the other Steve Phillips. I corrected two of them (and they still bought the paintings) but the third one was sold via a website, and after they had received it, I got an email saying they looked forward to meeting me at the blues festival the following weekend. I never let on...
Anyway, here's one of his songs, from his 1995 album "Been a long time gone"

Thanks for hosting, Joko! :)

So, here’s a song written by a guy with the same first name, middle name, last name and dodgy haircut as me! Yes - it’s an original by me! I hope that qualifies it for the theme?

I wrote this one nearly 35 years ago, about 31 years before I even picked up a ukulele! I played it at the Seasonista zoom open mic meeting yesterday btw. Lots of keyboard and rhythm additions here, along with some vocal harmonies too. :)

This is a great theme, although I have to admit to struggling. Usually I like having an unusual name, but it's a bit tricky here! There are Edwins and Bradys who've written songs, but none of them really grab me (although I admit a cover of "War" by Edwin Starr would be hilarious if I could get through it without laughing). And there's a few EBs that might work, maybe Eric Burdon or Elkie Brooks. And maybe even something by The Arcade Fire, since their lead singer rejoices in the name of Edwin Farnham Butler III.

So, until I can come up with something, here is a song that some clown called Edwin Brady started writing in February, and didn't get around to making any progress with it until today. It's about procrastination, and as you'll see, it still isn't finished.

Please don't mistake my character flaws for advice...

I hope I get away with this. If not, maybe I'd get away with the Everly Brothers, or perhaps resort to 'JT' and try a bit of Jethro Tull :).

there's a few EBs that might work, maybe Eric Burdon or Elkie Brooks. And maybe even something by The Arcade Fire, since their lead singer rejoices in the name of Edwin Farnham Butler III.
Edie Brickell? :)

Edie Brickell? :)
Yep, she occurred to me too! Not sure it'd work, but there's a whole week to try things out... I'm sure I'll be back!

Actually I was about to post that song to the island but then I saw Del had posted an original so I thought I would too :).

Cheers Joko. Being "blessed" with a bog common name I had plenty of choice. But I've gone for something a little obscure. Johnny Thunders. I think my brother put me onto this a while ago as a good song to try. Has a great title too.

according to wiki
Bryan Keith "Dexter" Holland is an American musician who is the lead vocalist, rhythm guitarist, primary songwriter and last remaining original member of the punk rock band the Offspring.
playing my treasured (tenor) ukulule #31 made by seasonista Doug Frink

saying the wrong season number is easily done i guess - writing the wrong number of your own season on the white board - that's a whole other level of season number unawareness....

Last edited:
* Song by an artist or band who shares your first name. Non-English equivalents okay. Bryans and Brians, Cathy and Kathy... Geoff and Jeff, yes even that. OR the song title or main character shares your name...
That's the main task right there. If you get that done or can't find a way to do so, move on to these other challenges:
* Same as above but using your last name
* Same Initials: Jon Duncan might try Jimmy Durante,for example
* Middle names, knick names,
* names of those we've lost in the Pandemic if they were close to you.....
Well... this may prove tricky :D
My initials may give me a chance as they are LAB (or LÁB) and I often skip the middle name so that leaves LB.
Other than that then I do not have a common name in my country and I am lucky enough not to have lost people during the pandemic.

So, here’s a song written by a guy with the same first name, middle name, last name and dodgy haircut as me! Yes - it’s an original by me! I hope that qualifies it for the theme?

Some speculation in my YouTube comments as to whether my haircut now resembles the one I had when I first wrote the song in my early twenties. Well…. this was me at 18…. judge for yourself! :LOL:
7E5EBBFE-7448-472F-8296-2A294286B77F.jpeg

Top Bottom