536 - For All Your Gilberts

Here's a John Martyn song from his London Conversation album. Written by a woman called Robin Frederick apparently about Nick Drake. Video is from a place near me. Carss Park and Kogarah Bay in the south of Sydney. A rare sunny day recently. We've had months of heavy rain with the odd beautiful sunny day,
On guitarlele.

Some speculation in my YouTube comments as to whether my haircut now resembles the one I had when I first wrote the song in my early twenties. Well…. this was me at 18…. judge for yourself! :LOL:
View attachment 140827
I spy the Champers on ice in the background……we’re you in The Young Conservatives Del? 😂

Hi Joko,
Having problems connecting with this theme. Is it OK if I submit an original which is based around a couple of names? (Actually it's a modern retelling of Hansel & Gretel )

Having an unusual name like Ila puts me at a genuine disadvantage for this week's theme. The only other Ila I found is a Bollywood star, and, well, frankly, my Hindi ain't so great, so I'll have to take a pass at trying one of her songs. Fast forward to my last name, Press, and you can snicker at what may be the world's worst initials -- IP. To be honest, I don't know anything by Iggy Pop, and truly, I don't want to learn. I'll try to compose something by week's end, if I can.

Well... this may prove tricky :D
My initials may give me a chance as they are LAB (or LÁB) and I often skip the middle name so that leaves LB.
Other than that then I do not have a common name in my country and I am lucky enough not to have lost people during the pandemic.
Not sure whether any of these are to your taste, but these came to mind for LB so I thought I would pass them along: Leonard Bernstein, Ludwig van Beethoven, the Louvin Brothers, Limp Bizkit, and Laurie Berkner (who I just learned about this week in looking for Lauries!).

Having an unusual name like Ila puts me at a genuine disadvantage for this week's theme. The only other Ila I found is a Bollywood star, and, well, frankly, my Hindi ain't so great, so I'll have to take a pass at trying one of her songs. Fast forward to my last name, Press, and you can snicker at what may be the world's worst initials -- IP. To be honest, I don't know anything by Iggy Pop, and truly, I don't want to learn. I'll try to compose something by week's end, if I can.
"B" sounds a lot like "P", so maybe you could sneak in an Irving Perlin song... for that matter, maybe something by George and Ila Gershwin?!

Okay, I'm about to dive into my hosting duties full-throttle, but I 'd like to fist share this SOTU-centered collage for your enjoyment... How many of these Gilberts do you recognize? One is my recently passed uncle. Two are entirely fictional while two others are known for their roles in a popular TV series. One played in arenas. Another got fired from his job as a duck.
okSWeJBf46mPR7oeyQOZ4LshY29gD4kvWuSEMua-vkV1amD2CcOT8pzNUDgGZPX8394RII629PvQn_tFXajYSXPZ3iYWjKAgSi6GEWxZ0tLPg6WrrVF3xT8e6MjxCxdzhy_aIHCuMhaUxlc9PcyZ9fXmQfrPvMFqOUHv2uDhyF2AsmKYlIysiUcyCsFheGSErr4H_7e8Zjr0hGYrrN-pNNsKkFYjZhapnphGtGMyHQrhFdzKzahZvt0PmSazYkJv-xzr4L38HozjtdmLIlb944T2wD_xPP59Faf85Iuu-hitAPG4lXOhX_kqdzyIfg9dWl2Gayijet6i_Sogg4sD2zugpZ3F1SPFhZ16uTRnGsevQz-SGSSZiNpcmDCC79VniO-80_Hd8SPFUCpdBDkLUDmu-y777I3M8IGi3-1nPnBT-ErTOllmxYVNynJeyOZlsqsPHk-GEg3FPGj4_-S2pc7WYcHSLVSwSRLVjWOx2KMlgJGbChalufjJeaJ2UmvvHG0yfEArHjOfwAkQf6xH7852e-_Nr2qeurCwzgCBUB4pyGIxR4m-yO5YmfoO1TnPHfflljBYAxELK6CyhWxAd111zQBlbmY61zzgrRXaM9RJn9bgWOHsPsm4wU3x-zB5lodFrlPYEbBHWxRbN2AgvaCjtgd3MNUQ6sA4w80glTFYMul8YZdkk27TAAVP4qWEZB_y5XP6T5xGZ68LjjaWU03hdLMHFW3IhcLyNU5rzz9DZJQGR187qiOZR6UUsJP3NA_HHeNYtUHEutpM0osXNuGRa46NRJIuZXc6n02rHogMR4pcjXQmy9rh4aVltDg1kNTgoUdG9xUqNWy6Zc6-eHC8xSV96harGzOvBLHgxeUiGyLknC2lpkahUGybNV-McctW8FwwhdqFoP4=w309-h437-no

Not sure whether any of these are to your taste, but these came to mind for LB so I thought I would pass them along: Leonard Bernstein, Ludwig van Beethoven, the Louvin Brothers, Limp Bizkit, and Laurie Berkner (who I just learned about this week in looking for Lauries!).
Nice :D
Thanks - I could only think of Limp Bizkit

Would Madonna's "La Isla Bonita" be close enough?

A Jimmy Buffett song. I had a sneeze that I managed to hold back for the entire take, and for some reason I'm taking great pride in that.

"To Ramona" is a folk waltz written by Bob Dylan for his fourth studio album, Another Side of Bob Dylan. The melody is taken from traditional Mexican folk music. The song is one of the many on the album to highlight the more personal, and less political, side of Dylan's songwriting that would become evermore prominent in the future. The song also makes many allusions to Dylan's personal relationship with fellow folk singer Joan Baez, at the time of its composition and subsequent release. It is another example of the G, G6, G7 harmonic motif Dylan uses pervasively on the record. Dylan's real name was Robert Zimmerman.

Hi Ila there is a band from the 70s called Mott the Hoople. Lead singer’s real name is Ian Hunter Patterson…ie IP. If you like David Bowie you might find a song of theirs that suits. If you are not fussed on Bowie I wouldn’t bother investigating them. Good luck regardless!

Having an unusual name like Ila puts me at a genuine disadvantage for this week's theme. The only other Ila I found is a Bollywood star, and, well, frankly, my Hindi ain't so great, so I'll have to take a pass at tryi

ng one of her songs. Fast forward to my last name, Press, and you can snicker at what may be the world's worst initials -- IP. To be honest, I don't know anything by Iggy Pop, and truly, I don't want to learn. I'll try to compose something by week's end, if I can.
Sometimes I think, there's nothing not to find by google:
Ian Paice, Ian Hunter, Issa Pointer, Isabel Pantoja, Inigo Pascual, Imelda Papin, Ian Parker, Ivan Parker, Ivan de Prume, Ian Pooley, Ian Prowse, Ida Presti, Ian Peres, Igor Presnyakov, Ivana Peters, Isabel Parra, Ivo Papavoz a.s.o.
Izak Perlman (violin), Ivo Pogorelic (piano) I don’t mention 😉

Was also not so enthusiastic to find some Heinz or HB, but there are...

Top Bottom