8 string baritone strings on an 8 string tenor

Flatbaroque

Reaction score
Gday folks. I have a bunch of ukes...tenors and baritones. One of the tenors is an 8 string Kala. I would like an 8 string baritone to round out the sound palette. My ukes are mainly accompaniment to singing and songwriting. A good 8 string baritone is a bit more than I want to spend currently. I'm toying with buying a cheapo 8 string tenor Kmise 80 bucks and stringing as an 8 string baritone...ie using baritone strings. I realise the tension will be less. I'm not after sound perfection just some different sounds.
Doable? At worst I could just keep the tenor strings on and downtune a couple of steps for a different sounding instrument.
I'm a regular on the Seasons forum..but I see there is quite a bit of technical knowledge in this sub forum so I thought it worth posting here.
Cheers John.

I don't really understand the question as I don't recall many baritone 8 string sets around. Tenor set will be easier to find. If you want to tune like baritone you will likely have to buy a bunch of expensive single strings. For different sound maybe get cheap 6 string instead.

I don't really understand the question as I don't recall many baritone 8 string sets around. Tenor set will be easier to find. If you want to tune like baritone you will likely have to buy a bunch of expensive single strings. For different sound maybe get cheap 6 string instead.
I think there are 8 string baritone sets available. I assume Kala ( who have a popular 8 string baritone) wouldn't sell an instrument that didn't have available string sets.

My experience with 8 string Tenors is that they play perfectly well (better in my case), detuned 3 semitones with standard 8 string tenor strings.
I recommend that you try this first.
You could even try lower tunings with the standard string and just see what happens. No harm, no foul if it doesn't work.
I use Baritone strings on my Tenors and detune them 3 semitones as well. It actually works just fine with standard strings detuned 3 semitones yet I like the power and volume of using baritone strings.
8 string baritone strings should work just fine on a tenor 8 string, detuned to DGBE. My thought on the matter is that some of the nut slots will need to be widened and you will have to do this carefully, as some of the pairs may get too close to each other and cause issues.

EDIT: Aquila makes a Nylgut 8 string Baritone string set. I'm not sure about other brands, yet there should be others as well.

My experience with 8 string Tenors is that they play perfectly well (better in my case), detuned 3 semitones with standard 8 string tenor strings.
I recommend that you try this first.
You could even try lower tunings with the standard string and just see what happens. No harm, no foul if it doesn't work.
I use Baritone strings on my Tenors and detune them 3 semitones as well. It actually works just fine with standard strings detuned 3 semitones yet I like the power and volume of using baritone strings.
8 string baritone strings should work just fine on a tenor 8 string. My thought on the matter is that some of the nut slots will need to be widened and you will have to do this carefully, as some of the pairs may get too close to each other and cause issues.

EDIT: Aquila makes a Nylgut 8 string Baritone string set. I'm not sure about other brands, yet there should be others as well.
Thank you. My assumptions pretty much match what you've suggested here. And yea I have a guitalele that I regularly detune 3 semi tones. Been too lazy to try it on the 8 string. That will be the beauty of having two 8 strings...leave one detuned.

Last edited:
Top Bottom