A Heads up on inexpensive Tenor cases

Jag-Stang

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
First let me say I am a long time guitarist who has been around the block in terms of cases. I own a Calton and an Armitage and several TKL, Geib as well as assorted other cases that have gone through my hands. I am only mentioning this as not everyone can afford a Calton or a Armitage and forgive my not listing the many other top end case builders But you get the idea.
I realize I can not post something that a dealer is selling on marketplace however I bought a cheap new hardshell case for a tenor. I spotted the case a few weeks ago as I was restoring an old Gibson tenor and as it had no case. I wanted to find a newer hardshell that would protect it without breaking the bank.
while searching on Reverb I came across this
and bought one
once it arrived and it actually fit the Gibson and turned out to be a viable case in terms of looks and fit. It is also long enough to fit a 14 fret tenor. I went back to the site and asked the seller if he had more. He is selling them one at a time but has 10 in total. Not to be greedy but to be practical I bought two more as I often have projects especially tenors that
come to me in beat up chipboard or no case at all condition. I figure I have room for two just in case. ( pun intended) Just relaying this as for $35.99 plus free shipping) there is nothing at this price point that comes anywhere close to a plywood case. I am familiar and have purchased Oahu arch top cases for several years. Unfortunately the cost of shipping them from HI is close to the cost of these cases. These OnStage cases are not the greatest cases but have decent hardware and are solid several ply plywood and work fine to protect a tenor. i am certain the opportunity won’t last long. My understanding is that OnStage went under due to Covid and the cases were recently wholesaled off through some distribution channel. I see some at retail prices around $100 but others are being sold for half of that plus shipping. This is the only DEAL price I have seen so it likely will not last very long. I thought there might be other UU members like me that are always looking for bargain cases for their projects.

Attachments

• DB1A29DB-F984-4668-A469-0793C4407096.jpeg
    DB1A29DB-F984-4668-A469-0793C4407096.jpeg
    117.7 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Thanks for the tip. I purchased one this morning.

I should have measured better. Anuenue AMM3 is too wide. Now I have two extra cases, the other a concert.

I picked up a couple too, very nice quality for entry level price. Always like keeping a couple spare cases on hand! Thanks for the heads-up

That listing shows the cases as used-mint, so they don't seem to be surplus. I just called On-Stage and though it was too late in the day, they seem to be very much in business.

OK- not every ukulele will fit into this case:
I should have measured better. Anuenue AMM3 is too wide. Now I have two extra cases, the other a concert.
Excellent point!

I bought this for my new Bruce Wei 8 string. Mine arrived in 3 days and was in as new condition with all tags and bags.

And... The BWA 8 won't fit...

I set this case on top of my other tenor case, the one that came with my used Pono; and that case is 2+ inches longer.

So I try the Pono into the new case, and as I gently push it in a wooooosh of air rises up from the void!

And? Yes, the 8 stringer fits into the other case perfectly.... sans wooooosh.

All's well that end's well.

Measure before you buy... under $40 with CA tax rate.

Last edited:
Top Bottom