A History of Gotoh UPT Planetary Ukulele

Cluze

UU VIP
UU VIP
Thanks for posting that! I had not seen it. Gotoh UPTs are my absolute favorite tuning machines. I have installed them on several of my ukes.

Edit: Fixed a typo.

Last edited:

kerneltime

UU VIP
UU VIP
Attaching PDF here to preserve in case that site goes away

Attachments

• JAPARTS A History of Gotoh UPT Planetary Ukulele.pdf
    253.8 KB · Views: 12

Kenn2018

UU VIP
UU VIP
Enjoyed reading about the Gotoh tuners. I am surprised that they are that much heavier than the PegHed tuners. I have tenors with one or the other brand and I don't really notice the difference in their weights. But then again, I play using a strap.

Thanks for posting it Badhabits. Another piece of ukulele history.

Last edited:

eternal tinkerer

Thanks for the read. I love these tuners. We clearly are enjoying a moment in time if Gotohs have been around for only the last decade or so.

merlin666

Thanks for posting. I have a luthier built modernized Martin replica with them and they are nice. One of these days when its strings will be worn I think I will also get the Kamaka replacements for my white label six string.

EDW

Ukecaster

Does anyone have any experience with these planetary tuners? They also are on ebay. They look like the ones I have seen on Millar ukes and listed on those instruments as Derjung. I am wondering if they are the same.

Pretty sure those are the Der Jung tuners, very similar looking to UPTs. I've never tried them, but the price looks good, and I believe Pete Howlett has used these on some of his ukes.