A nicely rounded backside

bellgamin

UU VIP
UU VIP
What are the advantages (if any) of a well-made ukulele that has a distinctly rounded backside VERSUS a well-made ukulele with a flat backside?

I figure that it must be at least somewhat more difficult to make a rounded backside than a flat one. Ergo, I figure there must be at least some advantage to rounding the backside.

Or . . . is there?

Jim Hanks

I guess in theory it would focus the sound more, possibly leading to greater projection. But I figure it can't make a huge difference given all the high end ukes with flat backs. Offhand I can't think of any examples of round back ukes. Can you?

Rakelele

Interesting question. As Jim suggested, it might be helpful to list some brands that have a curved back vs. the ones who don't. I just checked on my ukes: Kanilea has the most noticeable rounded back, MB and other custom ukes seem to have a slight curve as well. Almost or entirely flat are KoAloha (both Hawaiian and Opio), Kamaka, Kala, and Pono (basic models; the Pro Classic might be slightly rounded, but it's hard to tell).

You might get some more qualified answers from the Luthiers' Lounge...

coolkayaker1

I guess in theory it would focus the sound more, possibly leading to greater projection. But I figure it can't make a huge difference given all the high end ukes with flat backs. Offhand I can't think of any examples of round back ukes. Can you?

Ovation. :rolleyes:17842b474e48bd5d8e8a58a8e05f16b0.jpg

bellgamin

UU VIP
UU VIP
. . . the Pro Classic might be slightly rounded, but it's hard to tell).
My Pono Pro Classic has a slightly rounded backside. Hard to see but it's easy to feel its smooth roundness. (Easy there Phil).

As I recall, most violins have rounded backsides, wot? And what's with the "arched tops" for Fender & Kala f-hole ukes? There's GOTTA be some tech reason for rounding -- or is it purely aesthetics?

anthonyg

When the rounding of the back is properly designed and engineered, such as with the KALA slimline designs the rounded back really increases projection enormously. The Kala's of course have a double curve. If a single curve in the back is implemented correctly than I find that it improves projection as well. There is of course the possibility of a curved back not helping because it wasn't done properly. Ukuleles with dead flat backs sound a little, "flat" to me.

Anthony

strumsilly

When the rounding of the back is properly designed and engineered, such as with the KALA slimline designs the rounded back really increases projection enormously. The Kala's of course have a double curve. If a single curve in the back is implemented correctly than I find that it improves projection as well. There is of course the possibility of a curved back not helping because it wasn't done properly. Ukuleles with dead flat backs sound a little, "flat" to me.

Anthony
Not in my experience. My Koaloha tenor has the least "flat" tone of any uke I've ever owned, and I've owned a few.