Accelerated reader!?

MisoHappy

Reaction score
OH MY GOSH. These make my life miserable. We basically read a book that's our "level", and take a test on it. (which can vary from 1.0-13.0) My level is 5.0 to 13.0, so I get all of the hard books; which means hard tests on the books. What's more, if we don't meet our point goal, our entire Language Arts grade falls. (you know that I know that you know what I'm talking about Dylan)
Is there anybody else that knows about AR and dislikes it as much as I do? Is there anyone that likes them?

I like reading, these tests just make it unenjoyable.

Ive never heard of this, what sort of witchcraft school is this?

no Ive really never head of this, We didnt have level tests of any sort when I was in MS. (im a jr in university) We had tests in my english class, and whatnot but no such thing as personal tests that each student had to take, and point goals.

as I said, Witchcraft.

Is this a State thing?

I don't think so (the state thing).....And I don't think were a witchcraft school ;)
And those tests, btw, are just multiple choice questions we take on a computer, to see if we really read the book. And the worst part is the points. If you get less than 75% we get nothing out of the possible points.

Last edited:
what are the points for?
let me explain how I understand it, correct me if Im wrong;

you get points for passing the tests, and points accumulated over the year have to add up to some kind of passing grade (75%), and if youre grade passes, you can graduate to the next lvl, and if not, you're getting left back?

Whew, this'll take awhile.

We get less or more points according to how many questions we got wrong. For example, I took a 10 question test, and got two wrong. (80%) The test for this particular book was worth 11 points, had I gotten all of them right. Since I got two wrong, I get 8.8 points out of 11 points. The amount of points a book is worth depends on it's level. The number level I have stands for a grade. (school grades) since I have a level of 5.0-13.0, I can read 5th grader books to college level books. following? The level I have is based of a test I took at the beginning of the year. This level is called a ZPD (zone of proximal development) We get a point goal at the beginning of each term. (term is 6 weeks for me) If I don't take enough tests to reach my point goal for the term, my grade falls.

I hope I caught everything

Last edited:
I just edited.lmao. I meant to say I got two wrong=80%, not one wrong. mah badz

Also, If I don't reach my point goal for the term, my grade for that term falls.
If I don't reach enough point goals, my overall grade for each semester (3 terms)will fall, making my entire school year grade fall. If it falls enough, I fail

Last edited:
thats..alot of....well, I dont know, whatever happened to the good old days of english classes where if you didnt read it you failed the test, end of story, and if you failed enough tests in the semester you didnt pass the class. All of this point stuff is a bit unnecessary if you ask me.

thats..alot of....well, I dont know, whatever happened to the good old days of english classes where if you didnt read it you failed the test, end of story, and if you failed enough tests in the semester you didnt pass the class. All of this point stuff is a bit unnecessary if you ask me.

sucks sometimes to have been born in the age of technology :(

I guess its to give us the idea that whoever gets the most points "wins". cuz for every hundred points a student gets, he gets a prize. And there's this "AR fun night" for people who meet their point goals.

sounds silly and pointless. and worst of all puts kids in to serperate classes. by class i mean smart kids vs dumb kids.

even my elemtary school split our grade by how smart we were. i came in to my particular school system in the third grade. right away i noticed that the smartest kids were in two classes out of 9 classrooms.

totally had this in middle school... which was, *gasp* like 10 years ago... im pretty sure my school was one of the first ones to commission it in our program. my big secret, check the library, see if any of the books have movies. watch the movie and take the test. there is no way to tell that you didnt read the book.

also what i did is go get a bunch of low lvl crap and just boost my points. books such as "See the Pink Flamingos" or stuff like that...

i feel for you, i really do...

That book/movie thing does not work. the movie and book aren't the same, My friend chanced a harry potter book, and said that she didn't recall almost half of the things the test asked about. She passed by chance. The questions are like UBER specific. So if it didn't happen in the movie, your screwed.

sounds silly and pointless. and worst of all puts kids in to serperate classes. by class i mean smart kids vs dumb kids.

even my elemtary school split our grade by how smart we were. i came in to my particular school system in the third grade. right away i noticed that the smartest kids were in two classes out of 9 classrooms.

It's not quite "smart" and "dumb". We just have different reading levels. I actually like to read, meaning I read more often, meaning I got better at reading and comprehension.

OMG I had this! I absolutly hated this
Our 5th grade class had this system where if you were in the top scoring points, then you could go on some trip wit the teacher in her Hummer to get pizza with 5 other kids. I had to friggin read Harry Potter books to get ahead becuase if you took an AR test of the same book before in an earlier year, it doesn't count, so all the new kids were all being super smart.
Now we dont have them anymore =D

OH MY GOSH. These make my life miserable. We basically read a book that's our "level", and take a test on it. (which can vary from 1.0-13.0) My level is 5.0 to 13.0, so I get all of the hard books; which means hard tests on the books. What's more, if we don't meet our point goal, our entire Language Arts grade falls. (you know that I know that you know what I'm talking about Dylan)
Is there anybody else that knows about AR and dislikes it as much as I do? Is there anyone that likes them?

I like reading, these tests just make it unenjoyable.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

i remember this program when i was in elementary school! Now that im in college i can point fingers and say! HA! ITS YOUR TURN! but what can i say reading 12 books a week on multicultural civilizations isnt fun either! keep ur head up! you will be done before you know it! plus u have a uke!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

i remember this program when i was in elementary school! Now that im in college i can point fingers and say! HA! ITS YOUR TURN! but what can i say reading 12 books a week on multicultural civilizations isnt fun either! keep ur head up! you will be done before you know it! plus u have a uke!

I'm in middle school, and I can imagine it's even harder for younger kids. (and thanks for laughing to my FACE! lol jk) We have a whole ton of books to choose from, every genre I've heard of anyway....And I don't think it will go by so quickly lol. It's fourth term of my sixth grade, and it's almost torture. I bet it would be even worse if I didn't like to read in the first place. Jammin with my friends once in a while helps a lot to.

I'm in middle school, and I can imagine it's even harder for younger kids. (and thanks for laughing to my FACE! lol jk) We have a whole ton of books to choose from, every genre I've heard of anyway....And I don't think it will go by so quickly lol. It's fourth term of my sixth grade, and it's almost torture. I bet it would be even worse if I didn't like to read in the first place. Jammin with my friends once in a while helps a lot to.

teah man trust just hit the books! it will pay off! it helped me! I guess u can say ima book worm...

teah man trust just hit the books! it will pay off! it helped me! I guess u can say ima book worm...

There's no shame in being a book worm! I would know.....and I've been hitting those books hard. Last term, I got 124 points total. (a term is 6 weeks)

I had this in elementary school. I went to Lunalilo Elementary. I'm not going to lie. I loved this program. I was the top accelerated reader in our school for like three years in a row, starting in 3rd grade, and keeping my streak till 5th. I had around 600 points in my 5th grade year, which was the most I had in any single year (no repeats on books from previous years.) Wow. At an average of 4 points a book (remember, elementary school books are a bit lower rated in points)...I guess I was doing a LOT of reading.

And I know that it really really paid off today.

Top Bottom