Acoustic-Electric.... Any caveats?

Spoonie_B

Reaction score
Hey folks, new player here. There is a ridiculous deal on a Donner DUC-4e that makes it cheaper than the DUC-1. I'm researching my first uke purchase.

4e has solid wood top and bevels. The 1 is all laminate. The 1 is reviewed very positively. I'm assuming solid wood will be better sounding. I like the insanely cheap sale price and I like the potential for plugging in.

I don't think I WILL plug in much if ever, is the thing. So I'm wondering if the EQ and pickups and whatnot have any negative impact on the sound of an instrument like this as opposed to a pure acoustic like the DUC-1.

Thanks y'all!

No negative impact, probably, but there is the caveat that the one you get may or may not be setup properly or sound nice.

Always try and play the one you want to see what it sounds like. If you can't play yet, take another player or ask whoever is selling it to show it to you.

Solid wood isn’t necessarily better than laminate, especially at the low end.

The pick-up probably wont have a noticeable effect on the sound if you don’t use it, but the big plastic pre-amp is ugly and can throw off the balance.

Personally, I’d avoid it. The pre-amp is the one thing I regret on an otherwise great uke that has one.

If you can swing it, I’d raise the budget a bit out of rock-bottom and talk to a respected vendor rather than buying from Amazon. If you’re in the US check out Mim’s Ukes (https://mins ukes.com ). Mim has a good selection of inexpensive entry level ukes that she’s winnowed down so you’ll get better quality-per-dollar than from the Amazon specials.

The wires, battery and jack can come loose and rattle around inside the uke. If you aren't going to plug in and play amplified, it may not be worth the sale price. Though I don't know how much they are asking for it. Will you have to pay for shipping?

Are the reviews on the site that is selling them? A lot of companies pay people to write a positive review on Amazon, or reduce the price. Try to find independent reviews. Check out Forum member Choirguy's reviews on his blog: http://ukestuff.info

Top Bottom