Admin Update on New Features, and The Name of That Thread

I have just tried to activate the link to the UU rules on the Staff Forum: https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/index.php?threads/ukulele-underground-forum-rules.85569/

The link is not working. This could be a problem at my end, or the link could be broken.

If the link is broken, no-one can read the UU rules?
OK I just did a search for "forum rules" in "search titles only" and finally landed on this:

which I think is what you're looking for?

We will work on broken links for sure, but we're also in discussion about the rules overall. We'll update when available.

@TimWilson @Arcy

If the link is broken, no-one can read the UU rules?

Unfortunately, that thread predates the new forum platform, and yeah, I've deleted all of the sticky posts I can because the links are indeed broken...except for this one in the Admin forum, which I don't have permissions to delete. I'll try to at least edit it to point to the rules, which you can actually see linked in the footer on every page.

terms.JPG

More broadly, there was WAY too much emphasis on rules back in the day, at least imo. I wasn't here back then, so what do I know? Maybe you were all maniacs and needed someone to ride herd on you. 🤣 I suspect not, honestly, and it certainly isn't the case now.

So I'm going to continue my effort to delete all the rules posts, save one: in the Marketplace. There, we have rules to protect both buyers and sellers, where people are paying cash money for goods. For the forums, though, that one link at the bottom of every page is more than enough, sez me. And here it is in case you don't want to scroll the rest of the way down the page. :)

Now if other folks are made nervous by not seeing rules pinned to the top of every board, then I'm willing to consider it...but lemme tell you a story that illustrates my perspective on this. I lived in small-town Texas in the 60s and 70s, and all the biggest stars in rodeo and racing were endorsing chewing tobacco and dip, which meant that there were a LOT of people running around town spitting tobacco juice. My gosh, best wear galoshes if your cowboy boots weren't handy.

Well, most stores that you went into had prominent signs that said No Spitting. Because if you didn't have that sign, you'd have folks in your store spitting. You NEEDED that sign.

Fast forward to 1995, the last time I visited Texas, and I didn't see a single No Spitting sign, at least partly I suspect because chewing tobacco had fallen out of fashion. And living subsequent to then in Florida, Massachusetts, Maryland, Oregon, California and Hawaii, I've never seen one No Spitting sign anywhere, again, because they're just not necessary.

So yeah, I hate broken links, and I appreciate the reminder that I need to fix the link if I can't delete the post...but you know what? I dislike rules docs almost as much except where they're actually needed.

Are you feeling the need to remind people people to keep in line in ways that they aren't? Maybe I'm missing something, because I sure don't. 😁

Thanks,
Tim
Mod

edit: I couldn't delete that broken post from the Admin forum, but I was able to move it to another forum, and deleted it from there. Yay! But the rules are indeed linked from the bottom of every page, and we do have the Marketplace rules pinned there.

edit2: I hope that this didn't come off as snarky. I honestly didn't mean it. My last forum WAS populated by a meaningful number of maniacs (that is, by no means everyone, but more than enough) and they DID need riding herd. I think a lot of big tech communities are the same way. Reddit, for example, where I'm a member and visit regularly, is wall-to-wall rules docs, and you know what, I wouldn't get rid of a single one of 'em. LOL They NEED rules docs there. I still can't take much of it, even with all the rules.

Here, though, is a breath of fresh air. This is the one place I come on the internet where I breathe easy, and feel confident that nothing bad is going to happen. Two and a half years in, I'm still finding that the case.

The platform needs work to shore up the foundations, there are a lot of missing or not-yet-entirely-implemented features, there are a bunch of terrific feature requests that we're very excited to get to...but none of the problems that *I* see are ones that will be addressed by more rules. :)

Last edited:
Some starter Ideas to replace "Uke P***"

Music to my eyes
Aesthetics
Uke Longings
Glorious Uke
Uke Beauty
The Beauty of the Ukulele
Beautiful Ukes
Glamorous Uke Photos
Awesome Uke Photos
Photo Showcase