Advice on these two.

Tatcho

Reaction score
Being a complete beginer I would like some advice on these two ukuleles.
I have no music knowlege and not a great deal of cash being on a pension so I have found these two which I would like some advice on having no other person to ask and no music shops in my surrounding district.
Korala UKC36 at £49 from Omega (UK)
Makala MKC Concert £49 at Amazon (UK)
These just about meets with my cash funds. I have gone for the Concert size as I have rather large fingers and do not want to get a smaller size finding it difficult to play. I was thinking of perhaps a Tenor but will hope to get some advice on that too.
I have found on other forums that I should buy from a reputable music shop and not from Amazon so I am leaning toward the Korala.
What do you think?
Thank you for looking.

Here is a thought for you...

I had a very inexpensive ukulele for my daughter, years ago, that she had fun on. After developing arthritis in my left thumb, I decided to play ukulele as I had to cut back on my daily guitar practice of 1 hour per. Skipping entire days and only playing 30 minutes a day has allowed me to not give up guitar playing entirely. This is a blessing as I was really quite fearful and a bit melancholy over the thought of not playing.

When it came time to buy one for myself, I knew myself and how I would be serious about this, Therefore, I postponed my initial purchase to save a bit more money towards a better one. I was concerned about having a very high action, for example, and did not want to "buy twice"; first, what I could afford, only to have to sell it and buy a second, better quality instrument.

This may not be an option for you, and I apologize in advance if it is not what you are looking for, but might you consider saving a bit more, and then buying a quality instrument, used, either here or at Ebay?

If you buy from a member, you are likely to get something quite "playable" as it would come from someone who "knows" rather than just a mass seller.

It is just something to consider over the choices you have pointed out. I hope this helps.

Another thing to consider is The Ukulele Site where advice is given, even on "entry level" instruments. I found a great deal of help here, at the forum, and at this particular site.

Omega have a good reputation here, and the son of the owner is a member of this forum.

Amazon are Amazon, and are therefore at the very bottom of any list of places to buy a ukulele. Just below Screwfix and B&Q.

Whichever ukulele you end up buying, get it from an ukulele store (Omega or Southern Ukulele Store would be fine). The chances of getting a bad ukulele are a lot lot smaller than if you bought from amazon. :)

Those ukuleles will probably need a set up, which will make your ukulele much easier to play (I'd advise you to read about it, good ukulele stores usually offer it)

Mim's is a great online seller. The main thing to consider is that it is setup before it's shipped out. Being setup at the factory is not good enough as they usually set them up with a higher action. Uke Republic, Mim's, HMS and the above are the only places I would buy a uke online as they all check the setup before shipping. Not sure if Omega does. You might also consider going to the marketplace here and checking out a used one in your price range.

Setup is so important for success learning any instrument. If not setup right, you probably won't play it.

Thanks guys.

Martinfan...Thanks for your input. The chances of me adding to the pot to buy an expensive ukulele is quite limited apart from which I'm 83 years old now so that also gives me shortage of time....!! But before I leave this comfortable abode I just thought I'm going to play a Ukulele.

Patrick Madsen......I do believe the places you mentioned are in the USA and I am in the UK so as 'The Big Kahuna' says the cost of getting a uke from there to here is cost prohibitive. Thanks anyway.

g'est.... My feelings also. Thanks

The Big Kahuna........Thanks for your input. Appreciated.

My gran was 102 when she died. If they're still making "Britain's Got Talent" in 19 years time, I expect to see a wrinkly ukulele player in the first episode*

* What the hell am I talking about...I'm a wrinkly ukulele player!

Get the Korala and get started. If you get into it, you may want to upgrade later or this one might suit your needs forever.

Last edited:
Hi, it sounds like you're in the UK. If you are able to get to the Southern Ukulele Store (near Bournemouth) I would recommend you do: they will give you all the help and advice you need and you can try the ukuleles. If not and you could let us know roughly where you are in the UK someone on here might be able to suggest an alternative. :cheers:

I think Southern has a "house brand" that's quite a value for the money.

Have you not read any of the other posts?

Yeah, just phrased myself badly because I was in a hurry (dashing off to work). I should have said I would pick the best store that's closest to you in the UK: I happen to live fairly close to SUS and have always found them excellent.

Last edited:
Top Bottom