Age Is Just A Number

Always be thankfull to be alive and thankfull for what you do have. Look around, it could be worse. That is my way of thinking. You may not agree with me, but, I thank God for everything I have and each day itself.
Well, chances are I may be here, banging away at my instruments for a long time. My dad, a heavy drinkin’ sailor lived to be 79, and my mom lived to be 107. I certainly don’t wanna break her record.

I do appreciate my long years, but I compare my life to what it usta be, all the time. I still love music, but I can’t play anything nearly as well as I once did. And, worst of all, though I have a Master’s Degree in English and have written some stories and a novel, I can’t carry on a comfortable conversation with others without my wife around to help me remember words — BAH! Ahhh, well . . .

Well, chances are I may be here, banging away at my instruments for a long time. My dad, a heavy drinkin’ sailor lived to be 79, and my mom lived to be 107. I certainly don’t wanna break her record.

I do appreciate my long years, but I compare my life to what it usta be, all the time. I still love music, but I can’t play anything nearly as well as I once did. And, worst of all, though I have a Master’s Degree in English and have written some stories and a novel, I can’t carry on a comfortable conversation with others without my wife around to help me remember words — BAH! Ahhh, well . . .

Life is what it is; there's no need to compare it to another's or even one's own past. "Enjoy the moment," that's a phrase that I think only older people are truly qualified to say because they have a better appreciation of life.

I certainly can't swim as fast as I used to, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying it. Who knows, I might get back into competitions again, but this time really just for the fun of it. I actually understand that I don't need to win to have fun; I think this is part of being older.

Yup, looking forward to my 74th this (2022) June 7th, Lord willing :)

also looking forward to Rotator Cuff surgery (Left) with a 6-9 month
rehab and Physical Therapy regimen. Not sure when I will be able to
play my ukes after the first couple weeks (actually 2-6+ weeks when
I need to be sling-bound to keep my arm close to my body to restrict
arm movement away from my body).

I'm currently able to play Soprano, Concert, even Tenor sizes when I can
support my elbow on the arm of a chair or sofa. I may need to experiment
with straps for neck support.

let's just keep uke'in',

Well, I don’t know how old you are, but you certainly sound younger than I am. The only time I’m enjoying myself is when I’m playing or messing with my music stuff or taking a nice, long walk in the nearby park.

Oh yeah, look at my new thread in the Other Instruments Section. I started it because of our talk about recorders.

Top Bottom