Aloha . Beginner Baritone .

kaimuki

Aloha !

I was recently inspired by some You Tube videos to get a baritone ukulele .
As a total beginner don't think I can justify the all wood cedar rosewood Ohana BK-50G .
So , looking at the BK-50ME , cedar wood top ebony laminate sides and back .
Any other wood top , laminate sides to consider ?
Or all wood cedar top rosewood sides and back ?
Looking at this wood combo because I like the classic guitar sound .

Mahalo .

cdkrugjr

Cool!

The MOST important thing to know is that the chord NAMES are the same . . . A G chord is a G chord . . . BUT the shapes are different. So “what are the baritone chords for…”. Same as for Uke, Mando, Guitar, Piano, or kazoo band… :)

As for which? The MOST important thing about a Uke is that you enjoy playing it and that it inspires you to play more. I like the mid-line Kala’s with a solid top and laminated sides. Cedar has a mellower sound than spruce. If you can, play a few to see what you like.

stevejfc

Welcome Kaimuki! Take a look at the Kala solid spruce top laminate mahogany back and sides. good price and nice sound for the money.

Kenn2018

UU VIP
UU VIP
Welcome to the UU Forum Kaimuki!

I'm afraid I don't play baritone, so I can't advise you on Bari models. Enjoy whatever you get.

UkeOkay

Welcome to the UU forums @kaimuki . I don't spend much time on the baritone, but I would advise not worrying too much about getting a solid wood instrument. Baritones with solid tops and laminate sides and back can sound very nice at very reasonable prices.

kaimuki

Thanks ; that's very helpful .
I just came across an Islander Super Tenor with Lower G on the net that looks/sounds interesting .
So I will consider Tenor also but leaning toward Baritone .

UkeOkay

Oh, and you will benefit from having the uke properly set up. The baritone I first had came with very high action at the neck.

Last edited:

Kenn2018

UU VIP
UU VIP
Thanks ; that's very helpful .
I just came across an Islander Super Tenor with Lower G on the net that looks/sounds interesting .
So I will consider Tenor also but leaning toward Baritone .
Make sure it's a super tenor because of the scale length (longer than 17") and not because it has a wider or deeper body. All three have been called "Super tenors" by various luthiers and companies.

wqking

Since you are complete beginner, maybe starting with Low G Tenor is better for you. You can find more resources (tutorial and tabs) for Low G/High G. Also in the future it's very easy to switch to Baritone, you can play any Low G arrangement with the same fretting on Baritone, except the pitch is different.

Sporky

I had a Kala KA-ZCT-B laminate that sounded great and was gorgeous too. Certainly not the cheapest entry level instrument but a good deal if you also want the looks.

Nickie

Welcome to UU. I can't play a bari, but they sure work well for clawhammer!