Aloha Shirt Connoisseurs

Next Time you are in town...go to Baileys...it is a block from my home...they have used Vintage Aloha Shirts that sells for in the thousands...yup that's right, thousands ha ha
http://alohashirts.com/

Cool looking place! Thanks for the tip. You've got me pondering a trip to Oahu for the Waikiki Roughwater Swim some September (it's the race that set the distance for the swim portion of the Ironman, and the course was the original swim for Ironman Hawaii before the race moved to Kona).

Ditto the nut buttons. :)

I don't like printed patterns, I like it woven into the texture of the shirt. Hubby has an orange shirt we got on our honeymoon 11 1/2 years ago and it still looks awesome.

Has anyone found a shirt with ukuleles on it that actually looks nice? I've been digging around and not really finding anything good online.

Has anyone found a shirt with ukuleles on it that actually looks nice? I've been digging around and not really finding anything good online.

I have a brother who buys vintage and vintage-like clothing for resale. He gave me both of these shirts. I'll let you decide whether they actually look nice.

attachment.php
attachment.php

I also have this Jerry Garcia tie. You may not be able to tell from the photo, but the headstocks have only four tuners each.

attachment.php

I'm not seeing any pictures.

On my side, I picked up another Tori Richard shirt (1990s?) from a local thrift shop yesterday. My collection grows... :D

tori1.jpg

I'm not seeing any pictures.

I don't know why. I see them find in both Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer. (If anyone else is having trouble seeing them, please let me know. I uploaded them to a UU photo album and then posted them here by using the URL for each of the photos. That's worked in the past) I'm attaching thumbnails here as an alternative way of viewing the photos. Please click on each thumbnail for a larger image. Nice Tory Richard shirt, btw.

_p1010636a.jpg _p1010637a.jpg _p1010642.jpg

I like the one with the surfboards better. What brand is that?

They're both better than the cheesy ones I've been able to find.

I love the colourful aspect of Aloha shirts. Men's clothes, in general, are so BORING! - My Dad had a floral shirt especially made for a Hawaiian themed night in Lagos Nigeria (from curtain material) and I grabbed it off him and wore it as an everyday shirt after the show (It was 1967 and flower power was just coming to the fore). He refused to go out with me, if I wore it ;)

I would love to get over to Hawaii and buy some bright shirts. But I agree there is bright and colourful and there is garish. The two shirts the Big Kahuna illustrates define that for me the one with the leaves is great the Parrot one sucks IMHO ;)

Maybe it's also the case that men with bronzed Hawaiian skins look great in colourful shirts, but on pasty Europeans (and those of European origin) they don't seem to have the same effect ;)

+1 for the men's clothing being boring...

The other forum I actively participate in is a forum dedicated to men's fashions. Everybody seems so staid and conservative over there. I want well made clothing, but also clothing that doesn't make me look like the next guy on the street...

In other news, my "new" Mele Kalikimaka shirt arrived (Ebay purchase). It's a 2001 model from Reyn Spooner. I'm pretty sure it has never been worn. That will change...

meAloha.jpg

Can anyone recommend a website for Aloha shirts? (preferably one that is willing to post to Europe and doesn't charge the earth for the privilege).

Thanks mds725... though in the first few pages I was surprised how many of them were either quite drab or quite kitsch :rolleyes:

Any idea what chest size they mean when defining S, M, L, Xl etc?

I've now skimmed through the whole collection and I was surprised at how few I actually liked. There are a couple of Ukulele ones that I could see myself wearing for gigs, but very few truly colourful ones for everyday summer wear. (Unless the photos are not doing the colours justice). There were too many that looked like they were trying to be as quietly outlandish as it was possible for men's fashion to be ;)

Generally, order on the smaller side if you're between sizes. Aloha shirts will usually run larger (I've found this to be true even for older ones).

Any idea what chest size they mean when defining S, M, L, Xl etc?

I've now skimmed through the whole collection and I was surprised at how few I actually liked. There are a couple of Ukulele ones that I could see myself wearing for gigs, but very few truly colourful ones for everyday summer wear. (Unless the photos are not doing the colours justice). There were too many that looked like they were trying to be as quietly outlandish as it was possible for men's fashion to be ;)

I think that each individual shirt listing has a size chart if you scroll down to the bottom of the page. I've tried to reproduce it here, but I don't know if it will stay formatted.

This Standard sizing Scale for Men's Reyn Spooner USA Standard --

Neck Size S: 14.5-15, M: 16-16.5, L: 17-17.5, XL: 18-18.5, XXL:19-19.5, 3XL: 20-20.5
Chest Round S: 47.5", M:50", L:52.5", XL: 55", XXL: 58", 3XL: 61"
Shoulder
Across Yoke S: 18", M: 19", L: 20", XL: 21", XXL: 22", 3XL: 23"

Actual Measurement of the Shirt as it is laid down flat on top of a table.

This quick "Aloha shirts" Google search produced a bunch of additional retailers. You can go to these websites, or others that showed up in the Google search, to determine what they charge for shipping.

http://www.shirtsofhawaii.com/index.html

http://www.alohashirtshop.com/

http://www.mauishirts.com/

Last edited:
Here's my aloha shirt for today... Reyn Spooner Mele Kalikimaka 2001. Perfect for the company Christmas Party this afternoon... :p

alohaFit122112.jpg

Here's my aloha shirt for today... Reyn Spooner Mele Kalikimaka 2001. Perfect for the company Christmas Party this afternoon... :p

Nice. A group of us at a recent holiday party were wondering whether there were Christmas-specific aloha shirts.

Top Bottom