aNueNue USA buying experiences?

Veritas99

Just wondering if anyone has bought directly from the guys at aNueNue USA. If so, how was the setup/playability? Do you know how it compares to setup from HMS? I know there's personnel overlap, but I'm not sure who is doing the setup at aNueNue USA.

I'm guessing they'd do a great job, but I'm more paranoid than usually because I just had a bad experience with a straight factory setup when I bought a Kamaka tenor from a dealer online. He clearly did nothing to set it up and the action was way too high. My local luthier was able to set it up when he installed a pickup, but he has a ~5 week wait to get on his bench so I'm trying to avoid that process again.

Thanks!

rainbow21

I would just contact them directly and ask. I would trust Corey and Kalei. And there is a good chance that aNueNue does excellent set ups from the factory, which apparently is part of their quality control (same reputation with Kiwaya).

Spieler

My very limited experience suggests that aNueNue looks over each ukulele well-- for example, Corey noticed one of the strings on the AMM2 I was buying was a little 'off', and replaced it*-- but I don't believe there's a full set-up involved. I've often wondered if that affects my ambivalence towards my AMM2.

*I know this only because one of the strings on this slot-head ukulele was wound opposite from what it should have been, and tied in a different direction at the bridge, and I asked what was up. :D

The next time, i ordered an aNueNue through HMS to gain the full set-up experience, and because it was a great time to add other items not available through the aNueNue portal. HMS had (has?) better shipping rates, too, if that applies.

Anecdotal, all; @rainbow21 has the right idea: contact them.

~ S.

JJFN

I purchased an aNueNue AMM3 in April of 2021. I bought it through HMS, how much involved aNueNue USA was involved, I really don't know. That said I requested the lowest possible action to help with my arthritic left hand. When the instrument arrived I was disappointed with the set up re: the action. I had to take the ukulele to a local luthier and he lowered the action considerably, I forget the exact number, but it was significant. As I said I don't know which vendor handled the set up, whether it was HMS or aNueNue USA, but it wasn't what I requested. I have purchased several ukuleles form HMS and their set up was spot on. The additional set up cost was negligible so it wasn't worth any further investigation on my part.

merlin666

I think if you buy direct from Kala you get discounts compared to buying from dealer like 15 to 25% off advertised retail price. Do they have similar incentive for Anunue? Of course best deals are always buying in person when you can haggle and negotiate for lower price or accessories to be included. Though with some sites like eBay where you can make offer that works as well.