Any "REAL" Football Fans Here?

Ahnko Honu

Reaction score
By "real" football, I mean the original football, what Americans call soccer. Ever since the Oakland Raiders became the Las Vegas Raiders my interest in American football has been waning. At the same time my interest in football/soccer has increased especially watching Premier League games my two favorite teams being Manchester City, and Manchester United. Always so much movement of the ball, and action, and skills each player displays is quite amazing. What you favorite team?

I have been literally a card carrying member of Manchester United Football Club since 1994, and a fan since I saw Bryan Robson score a brace in the quarters of the 1984 Cup Winners Cup against Barcelona and Maradona. A visit to Old Trafford for a match in 2005 was one of the best experiences of my life.

I do enjoy watching good football. Can't stand the prima donna crap that interrupts the World Cup type games. Ugh. I'm not a "fan" because I don't watch sports, particularly, but I sure do enjoy it when it's on and I'm sitting in front of a screen to watch it. I love watching it in real life, I just never take the opportunity to. My Dad took me to a Vancouver Whitecaps game when I was 6 or 7 and it was so exciting! In contrast, I went to see a live NHL hockey game, a Canucks home game, about 20+ years ago and I couldn't believe they took commercial breaks. How stupid is that?!

I love soccer/football! I played as a youngster (right fullback in a 2-3-5 formation), coached 5-6 year old girls in a community league, got to see Pele play in the 70s, and was blown away by Argentina's finals performance this year. All respect to France for keeping it more than interesting :) but I've watched the highlight reels on a loop, and am looking forward to the kind of career-retrospective film that Messi deserves coming soon.

Last edited:
I guess you could say I'm a fan of "the game" of soccer, although I don't really follow or consider myself a fan of any particular team.

My affection and respect for the game undoubtedly flowed from the fact that my two sons and my daughter all played in organized soccer leagues throughout grade school, and, in the case of one of my sons, throughout high school plus a year at the college level. His high school team won the state championship in its division for the first time ever, in 1998, when he was a sophomore, and took second place the following year. He will never call attention to himself, but I can say quite honestly that he was an incredibly gifted and hard-working player, and was a big factor in the team's success. He then played for one season up at Bradley University in Peoria, Illinois, where he achieved his "sports dream" of scoring a Division One soccer goal (a game-winner), before hanging up the cleats due to accumulating injury issues.

Thanks for indulging my "proud papa" dissertation. Looks like maybe I should've posted this on the "Shameless Self-Promotion" thread!

My pertinent point, however, is simply that I used to be someone who didn't give the sport of soccer its due. But once it became such a prominent part of my kids' lives as they grew up, I came to realize what a great sport it is, and what great shape a person has to be in, in order to play it competitively! Mind you, I love good old regular American football too, though I don't understand it very well!

I'm not a huge soccer fan but I was born within earshot of Manchester United's home ground. If the wind was in the right direction, you could hear whenever they scored! It was an unearthly howling sound that burst suddenly and then faded away. Later in life I lived about the same distance from the Wolverhampton Wanderers ground but I didn't hear that sound as often.

I like Feetball..! both American and the Rest of the World (Teams and Clubs).
NFL LA Rams fan but haven't committed to any Football Clubs yet, since regionally there isn't much around here to get excited about; however i do tune into Bundesliga, La Liga, and Premier League when it's available and i'm awake that early.

By "real" football, I mean the original football, what Americans call soccer. Ever since the Oakland Raiders became the Las Vegas Raiders my interest in American football has been waning. At the same time my interest in football/soccer has increased especially watching Premier League games my two favorite teams being Manchester City, and Manchester United. Always so much movement of the ball, and action, and skills each player displays is quite amazing. What you favorite team?
I started following European football about 20 years ago, mainly the EPL and UCL. After casually watching for a couple years it was before a match between Liverpool and Chelsea that I decided I should probably commit to being a fan of one team. I chose Chelsea. Plastic, I know...

I'm not a huge soccer fan but I was born within earshot of Manchester United's home ground. If the wind was in the right direction, you could hear whenever they scored! It was an unearthly howling sound that burst suddenly and then faded away. Later in life I lived about the same distance from the Wolverhampton Wanderers ground but I didn't hear that sound as often.
"An unearthly howling sound." My singing has been described that way, John!

Sure, Oakland Roots FC and the 49ers!

If you have Amazon Prime, there is a great sports documentary series called All or Nothing that follows a team throughout a season. They have seasons on Juventus, Arsenal, Tottenham, Man City, and the Brasil national team.

They also follow American football and the New Zealand All Blacks. It's pretty well made and worth checking out, if you're into that sort of thing. I enjoy watching the team dynamics and how different coaches approach the game and relationships with the players.

I'm a late comer to Premier League (2019) football. In 2015 did a cycling tour in northern Catalonia Spain (Girona/Barcelona) and while staying in Barcelona got "talked into" going to a Barca game. A cycling friend was a Messi fan. That was the trigger. Wow, what a true fan atmosphere. A later trip to England a cycling friend who was married to a Brit got us tickets to a Liverpool 'friendly' match. Whole different fan-vibe, but I became a fan. I'm now a follower of Liverpool, Man City, Players: Virgil van Dijk, Andrew Robertson, Alison Becker, Kevin DeBruyne, Phil Fodon.

I have been literally a card carrying member of Manchester United Football Club since 1994
I have been a fan of ManU since 1999 and the unforgettable final in Barcelona against Bayern. One of the best football matches in history, my opinion.

Top Bottom