any review of Journey Instruments long-neck sopranos?

man0a

Has anyone played a "Journey Instruments" ukulele? How do they play and sound? I saw this solid-spruce top long-neck soprano with 38mm nut width and passive pickup on Reverb for $160. This is B-stock directly from the manufacturer. I've never seen one of these in real life and couldn't find any reviews or much about the company at all.

bxuzdqgr7ftosm0skv4i.jpg

merlin666

They have a website that explains their approach. The selling points are their gig bag and pickup to which they add a uke. A thinline laminate uke likely will not project much and this is supposed to be plugged in. Not sure why they think that travelers want a small portable instrument but also haul around an amp and cables etc.

man0a

They have a website that explains their approach. The selling points are their gig bag and pickup to which they add a uke. A thinline laminate uke likely will not project much and this is supposed to be plugged in. Not sure why they think that travelers want a small portable instrument but also haul around an amp and cables etc.
The thinline ukuleles I have tried from Kala are louder than their standard body instruments. I don't like the Kala neck shape, though.

rainbow21

Oh yeah! I have one somewhere... which case is it in?

Turns out I have the solid sitka one. I actually purchased it after watching Stu Fuchs play it a few times on some of his youtube sessions. I thought (and still do) that it was interesting enough to consider for the $199 price.

It is a good looking, well constructed uke. It is soprano size with a 15 inch scale. Scoop looks good but not needed (even if I play 12 12 12 15 the scoop does not come into play much). The thinline body is excellent... makes it very comfortable to hold and play. It has an arched back. Volume/projection is not an issue at all (similar to my AO sop). It has decent sustain too. Nut is 38 mm, measured g to A at 30 mm

I have never used a pickup. So this is the only uke I have that has a pickup. So if I need one I have it (I am normally a concert size player). And the case is outstanding (and includes a separate rain cover)! Make sure the B stock one comes with the case. I think it is worth the $160 if it checks enough boxes for you.

badhabits

The thinline ukuleles I have tried from Kala are louder than their standard body instruments. I don't like the Kala neck shape, though.

People who have not tried one seem to think thin body = quiet, but that ain't the case. The kala is just one example, bit there's also rebel, koaloha, etc.

merlin666

People who have not tried one seem to think thin body = quiet, but that ain't the case. The kala is just one example, bit there's also rebel, koaloha, etc.
It's not only volume but all about projection and mix of frequencies projected. Good to hear that people like them, the arched back may help with that too.