Any tips on using Diamond Secure Ukulele String Tie System?

Joyful Uke

Reaction score
My Diamond Secure Ukulele String Tie System beads arrived today. Seems simple enough to string the bead...but how do you get it to stay in place after that? When I try to tune up the ukulele, the bead flies off the bridge. I seem to be missing a major step somewhere. (Slotted bridge.) Seems like they were maybe meant for a tie bridge? But I still think I'm just missing some major step here.

Any advice?

Any pics. I have a set of Diamond tie blocks. They work like a champ. You say, beads…..I use beads to from the hobby shop. Key with beads is size, hole in centre and knot you tie. I’d like to see what Diamond has in beads for reference.

I guess I used an incorrect word. I don't know what you call the thingys, but it's the regular Diamond tie block thingys, so I probably shouldn't have used the word bead.

Are you able to use them with a slotted bridge? I can see how they would work a tie bridge or string through bridge, but I don't seem to be able to figure out a way to get them to work with a slotted bridge.

No experience with the "Diamond tie block thingies", but I think it is easier to learn to tie a stop knot vs messing with these thingies.

Pick your favorite (and you can make them as big as you want)

https://www.animatedknots.com/stopper-knots
I'll go back to trying knots again. I'm down to one string that is acting up. It stayed in place for a few days while I happily played it, and then I opened the case the other day and found that string had popped off again.

I was hoping the "thingies" would be a solution, but that's what I get from looking at the description too early in the morning & then placing my order without looking further.

I haven’t used them on a slot bridge but I tried one without tying to try and see your problem. Two things come to mind.

Coming out of the back of the bead there should be no string between the back and the bridge. Just line coming through the bottom hole.

When finished putting on the string, the bead should be set with the rounded side down.

It seems like you’re saying the bead gets unstable and flies up over the bridge.

I’ve never seen these kind of block beads used with a slotted bridge before. Does anyone have any photos they can share of them being used with a slotted bridge?

They work great on my ‘ukulele. I don’t know what’s going on with yours. Slotted bridge/tie bridge shouldn’t make a difference.
Is yours a slotted bridge? If so, got a photo that might help me figure out what I'm doing wrong in placing it?

I haven’t used them on a slot bridge but I tried one without tying to try and see your problem. Two things come to mind.

Coming out of the back of the bead there should be no string between the back and the bridge. Just line coming through the bottom hole.

When finished putting on the string, the bead should be set with the rounded side down.

It seems like you’re saying the bead gets unstable and flies up over the bridge.
I might have had it upside down if the rounded side goes down. I think I tried it various ways, but I might not have tried tuning it up w/ rounded side down. Thanks.

Though maybe mine is different?
This is what I bought:

Yes, the bead gets unstable and flies up over the bridge from my previous attempts.
Maybe I'll go give it another try now, though.

Edit to add:
Well, that still flew off. I'm doing something wrong, but I'm just not sure what that is....

Last edited:
Dare I say that they weren't made for slot bridges? I don't have them but I was giving them a hard look at one time and I don't see how they would work with a slotted bridge.

Dare I say that they weren't made for slot bridges? I don't have them but I was giving them a hard look at one time and I don't see how they would work with a slotted bridge
It sounded like Futurethink has found a way to use them on a slotted bridge, but I think that unless someone has figured out a way, I was mistaken to think they might work.

I think they were made primarily for a nice and neat look down on the bridge, no more unsightly twists, loops or knots. The "bead" sits up snug to the bridge and the string passes through the hole in the tie bridge so it's not going to go anywhere. There might be a way to make them work with a slotted bridge but I would think that there is always going to be the danger that the string is going to pop out of the slot with all that string tension.

Is yours a slotted bridge? If so, got a photo that might help me figure out what I'm doing wrong in placing it?

I’m only using them on instruments with tie bridges. Perhaps I was wrong about bridge type not making a difference.

I would guess it depends on the angle of the back of your bridge. If it leans slightly forward, the beads are going to pop off. Nothing that couldn't be fixed with a careful application of a round file. (I would cover the top with masking tape first)...
I really like them on my tie bridge!20210723_162036.jpg

It sounded like Futurethink has found a way to use them on a slotted bridge, but I think that unless someone has figured out a way, I was mistaken to think they might work.
I‘ve used them with tie bridges only. I can see how a slotted bridge could be problematic. As suggested before, you may need to drill a hole beneath the slot and tie your strings under the sound board. Done properly, no one will notice 😉

I may eventually break down and find someone to modify the bridge for me.

Meanwhile, thanks for the great site with all the different kinds of knots. We've got beautiful weather, I have the day off, and there are baby bunnies running all over my yard. Seems like a good day to sit outside, keep the dogs away from the bunnies, and play with knots.

I may eventually break down and find someone to modify the bridge for me.

Meanwhile, thanks for the great site with all the different kinds of knots. We've got beautiful weather, I have the day off, and there are baby bunnies running all over my yard. Seems like a good day to sit outside, keep the dogs away from the bunnies, and play with knots.
And while you’re playing with knots (use rope or cord to practice with), you may find that that’s your answer.

Well, the string is on, so hopefully it will stay. I had one on for a few days last week that decided to pop off when I wasn't looking, so I don't feel like I've for sure won this battle yet. The winning knot, after trying several types, seems to be one that might be called "frustration." 😅
No problem with my other slotted bridge ukuleles, but this one has always been difficult.

Hi Joyful Uke. It was weird for me to see this as just yesterday I got a used 70's vintage baritone off of ebay that has a slotted bridge. I not only struggled making the little knots at first but I had to sand the b string slot to get the string through. As I struggled I thought about the bead things but realized there is no way it would work that I could see. I've decided I don't like a slotted bridge but hope different strings will change my mind. These pics might clarify to some what I'm describing. The bead would need to fit in the little cave so a ball-end string maybe but none of the fancy little blocks.
IMG_1163 (1).jpgIMG_1164.jpg

Top Bottom