Any tips on using Diamond Secure Ukulele String Tie System?

If you give that a try, let me know how it goes.

If I were to buy another ukulele, (trying not to, though, LOL), it wouldn't have a slot bridge. I am considering the idea of having this slotted bridge replaced or modified so it would be either string through or tie bridge. But, so far this string is staying on, so hopefully I'm set for a while.

An amazing thing is that when you stretch the string its diameter shrinks, so even if it seems hard to fit into the slot, as soon as you apply tension it is going to get thinner and thinner. Usually there is no need to get out apiece of sandpaper and destroy the bridge by making the slots too wide so they slip as they get thinner under tension.
There is a lot to know about strings I'm finding out. I checked in a forum regarding strings for baritone ukes. A suggestion was that you can use classical guitar strings -- just use the inside strings and neither the high or low E. I had some and no baritone uke strings so that is what I did. I submit that this concept might not work with slotted bridges where diameter is more critical. I just took them off and put on a set of Martin baritone strings and even though the 2 lowest strings are wound they fit in the groove with a minimal tug. Tightening the strings to try to pull it into the groove is pretty much impossible but I get your concern about someone ruining a bridge. You have to hold the knot in the cave while guiding it in the groove and tightening the tuner. I tried. Not easy. Changing strings was.
I have yet to use more than a single simple overhand knot and even the thinnest strings are holding. Hopefully it keeps up. If not, pfft, I'll make it a double knot.

I use the tie block both Diamond and STAY Tight on TIE and STRING Thru bridge. They work great. I have two slotted bridges, I tie knots, they are easy and work great. Having all three bridge, I like them all. My custom tenor has a slot bridge NUD it works great. My Flukeis also tie bridge and it works great.

What really like about the tie blocks is they facilitate string change to try different string on ukes and are clean and easy.

I'm sure I'm the only one who cares, LOL, but I'm pleased to say that the string is finally staying on. 😅
I kept a note of what string I used and how I knotted it, so hopefully I can reproduce that in the future.
Hope I didn't just jinx it. :oops:

I'm sure I'm the only one who cares, LOL, but I'm pleased to say that the string is finally staying on. 😅
I kept a note of what string I used and how I knotted it, so hopefully I can reproduce that in the future.
Hope I didn't just jinx it. :oops:
My apologies Joyful Uke. I thought the StringTies would hold because the string comes through the bottom hole and then up and around and back down. I thought because the hole was low, it would prevent it from rising when tension was applied. My slotted bridge uke has a pretty square surface on the bottom side where the slots are open and I thought it would work. Sorry for the incorrect recommendation.

Last edited:
No problem. I'm just glad that I finally got a string to stay on there, and have been happy as can be playing it. :) 🎸

Tie bridge is so easy to change strings and clean looking by itself. The added blocks and knots seem to be tedious and unattractive in comparison.
IA. I wasn't having a problem with a tie bridge, though, but with a slot bridge that is much harder to change strings on than any other slot bridge I've had. I wish there was a better way to change strings on that ukulele, but I guess I just have to fight with it and be patient.

I'll go back to trying knots again. I'm down to one string that is acting up. It stayed in place for a few days while I happily played it, and then I opened the case the other day and found that string had popped off again.

I was hoping the "thingies" would be a solution, but that's what I get from looking at the description too early in the morning & then placing my order without looking further.
BEEN THERE... ;)

Top Bottom