Anybody who has a Lanikai CK-TEQ or CK-T

Jake_Loew

I have a tenor Lanikai CK-TEQ. I know many ukulele players use nyglut strings. I typically would, but I was using d'addario all nylon strings for a while. About a week ago, I switched back to aquila nyglut strings. Now I notice that my uke is out of when I play on higher frets. Playing open, to the 12th fret is not an octive. It is almost an entire quarter-step sharp! And it is impossible to avoid. I've tried splitting the difference on intunation between the lower frets and the higher ones, but nothing works. I took it to a luthier and he explained this to me:

On any fretted instrument, since the 12th fret is the first harmonic, it should be half way between the bridges (Duh). But when you press a fret, you're bending a string, and therefor, raising the pitch. So to compensate for this, the 12th fret should actually be a very small distance shy of the half-way point. (makes sense, yes?)

He then measured the distance between my 12th fret and each bridge, and discovered that it is exactly at the half-way point. There's my problem, I guess. Right?

I went home and measured my other ukes, and low and behold, their 12th frets are slightly less than half-way between the bridges. That is why they sound okay.

Does anybody else have a Lanikai CK-TEQ or CK-T? Does anybody have anything they can say that would help me? Do you have the same problem? or is mine screwed up?

Thanks for your time!
Jake

Last edited:

Moore Bettah Ukuleles

The scale length should actually be a little more, not less, than twice the distance between the nut and the 12th fret. Minor compensation can be made at the saddle itself.

And since you're new here let me warn you. Watch your mouth. Save that kind of talk for your homies. You are on a public forum, respect it.

Matt Clara

UU VIP
UU VIP
While the repair person's description is accurate, what Chuck is saying is the compensation is actually added at the bridge, not at the 12th fret. You could have your luthier reposition the bridge.

Also, if your strings are high above your frets, you could try lowering them, but your luthier probably would have suggested that.

KoPa

well...i can't give you any advice...but since i own one im gunna run home and check it out after work. this is my travel uke and i head to jamaca in less then 3 weeks. can't let them jamacans think all us ukers don't play in tune. hehe

fahrner

My first rule in trouble-shooting is to go back to the last thing you changed. It sounds like it was just fine before you changed strings. I would go back and look at that. Did you inadvertently flip the saddle? Is it simply a bad set of strings? Do they seat at the nut OK? What happens when you go back to D'addarios? If it's good than take a look at what's different. And yes; watch your mouth please. Fowl language is not appropriate in public forums.

Jake_Loew

Okay, it's cleaned up. Sorry about that. Won't say it again.