Anyone know what this instrument is???

I'm gonna step out on a limb and say a cigar box bass. Cigar box guitars are huge right now.

That's probably the best thing to call it, but it's only got 3 strings. It might be something someone just made up.

3 string diddly bow ?

That's probably the best thing to call it, but it's only got 3 strings. It might be something someone just made up.

Many cigar box guitars have three strings...scale looks pretty short for a bass, especially with the treble bass strings that it looks like are on it - how was it tuned? I'm thinking maybe tuned like a baritone guitar?

Many cigar box guitars have three strings...scale looks pretty short for a bass, especially with the treble bass strings that it looks like are on it - how was it tuned? I'm thinking maybe tuned like a baritone guitar?

I don't know how it was tuned. I don't have good enough ears to know that. I'm sure it was out of tune anyway.

There as many ways to string/tune a CBG as there are way to make them. I built a couple 4 stringers, but the next ones will be 3 strings. Cigar Box Nation is a cool site with tons of resources, and is as friendly as this place is. You can check it out here.

I've built three 3-stringers on a 25" scale and one uke on a soprano scale. Here are two of the 3-string cigar box guitars and the Godiva Tin ukulele. These were Christmas presents for my kids. The pirate themed guitar has skull knobs on the tuning pegs.

IMG_0265-resized.jpg

I've built three 3-stringers on a 25" scale and one uke on a soprano scale. Here are two of the 3-string cigar box guitars and the Godiva Tin ukulele. These were Christmas presents for my kids. The pirate themed guitar has skull knobs on the tuning pegs.

View attachment 52514

Those are really cool! Nice work... Okay, I'd say I've got my answer. It's a CBG. I'll keep playing it while I'm here. It's a fun instrument!

You're funny, Bob.

Quit this show and be in my band. lol

You're funny, Bob.

Quit this show and be in my band. lol

Thanks! The camera work made it though. I gave my phone to a camera guy to record it and he intuitively knew when to pan up to the sky. That's the benefit of having a TV crew around all the time.

Good point about the camera.

I hope your movie and comedy career are going into orbit. You are ten times funnier than the "popular" comics out there now (think Louis CK, Louis Black, etc. Dane Cook has his moments). On camera, seriously, Sandler, Ferrell, Fey, they're all blowhards, There...I said it.

You, man, are killer funny. I'm not just smoking popes, here.

Good point about the camera.

I hope your movie and comedy career are going into orbit. You are ten times funnier than the "popular" comics out there now (think Louis CK, Louis Black, etc. Dane Cook has his moments). On camera, seriously, Sandler, Ferrell, Fey, they're all blowhards, There...I said it.

You, man, are killer funny. I'm not just smoking popes, here.

Aw thanks Cool! That's really nice of you to say. Glad you like my stuff... The career is going well right now since I'm working I guess. We'll see how long this lasts. This is a new reality show for the food network that I'm writing/producing and we don't know how many episodes they'll ultimately want us to shoot, so we're gonna get the first four shot and hope they order at least 9 more. If that happens, my career is going GREAT. ;-)
Thanks again for the kind words!

During the 1700s and 1800s 3-string basses were tuned in 5ths and sometimes had frets. Everything old is new again.

I would call it a bass strum stick dulcimer!!!!

I have something similar but in normal range and not in the bass form....I might make a videoclip or soundclip...these kind of instruments sound good when amplified.....

https://soundcloud.com/baouke/star-filante-by-caro-bao

Top Bottom