Anyone tried the Takamine GC-6CE (the budget Hirade TH90)?

GVlog

Reaction score
I'm on the hunt for an acoustic-electric nylon and my shortlist has the Yamaha CG-TA and the Yamaha NCX1. I like Cordoba AE nylons too but am annoyed that the nut-widths on their guitars are a smidge narrower than the minimum 52mm for a classical guitar.

Then I come across the Takamine GC-6CE which is a budget-version copy of the Hirade TH90.

Has anyone played this thing? It looks like it came out during the pandemic and the reviews are few. There's no way that it will sound as good as a Hirade but I'll be satisfied if it matches a similarly-priced Yamaha or Cordoba.

The Hirade TH90 design has shown up in a couple other models as well. Years ago, Takamine released a 132 series (Japan made) for the Brazilian market with the oval sound hole that basically looks almost the same as the GC-6CE that you linked. The 2012 LTD is a TH-90 but finished in black with vines inlaid into the fretboard (my fav gig guitar). My wife and I used to be Takamine dealers in Honolulu and sold many of the G series GC5CE-NAT and the EG128SC, model just below the GC-6CE, and they sounded great for the outlay. The GC-6CE looks to be mainly a cosmetic update over the GC5CE-NAT, with black walnut ply back and sides rather than rosewood and, of course, the oval sound hole.

But nope, I have never played a GC-6CE, but if it sounds like the similarly priced GC5CE-NAT and EG128SC it's a nice instrument but not as loud as a Cordoba 6 or 7 series.

But nope, I have never played a GC-6CE, but if it sounds like the similarly priced GC5CE-NAT and EG128SC it's a nice instrument but not as loud as a Cordoba 6 or 7 series.

Many thanks for your response, Peter. I recall that you had written a review of the TH90 (which I found again here).

I'm assuming you meant the "Cordoba 5 or 7" rather than the "Cordoba 6 or 7"? I may give the GC-6CE a pass for now then. They're rather difficult to find anyway and Guitar Center isn't carrying them.

I guess I'll be testing out Yamahas or maybe get a good Cordoba and install a passive pick-up.

Top Bottom