Aquila strings on new ukuleles

cdkrugjr

you want to know the real story?
here is:
-in 1997 I have discovered a new plastic better than nylon (which was used for brooms.....) that I called 'Nylgut' (nylon plus gut). In 1999 I introduced Nylgut trebles in a few Aquila guitar sets.

-In the end of 2001 that was Christmas time I sent one set of white nylgut 4 strings to Roy T. Cone of Seabrook (close to Houston, TX) ; the store is Ukuleleworld

-At January 01 of 2002 I received back from him a mail telling me what kind of great plasstic are that samples of 'damn' white strings and who I am and why I am in Italy and not in USA or Hawaii or Japan. Then he told me that his entry level chinese ukulele now plays better than an higher quality uke. He asked me 1 thousand of sets but I had just 5 experimental soprano sets available for experiments. he told me: 'man....lissen.. you maybe have not well realized: you are sit down on a million dollars'. send me that damn uke strings right now and I will do another website for nylgut aquila'
I was then obliged to design the envelopes, all the sets.. everything in just 1 month etc etc. Roy mailed me in a 'texan way' (ah ah ). Roy was and is one of my best friends ever.

-2003 a guy from Honolulu mailed me asking me a favour: to change the color from white to the traditional black color telling me that due to the vulcan stone their beaches are black. I answered him that I was born in an island -Sardinia- here in Italy, were the beaches are very white and that I have no intention to change the color from white to black. he told me that I will failed. The comunications were with no fights, always polite.

-in 2004 or 2005 Bushmann asked me to supply him with 1,000 bulk sets for the Jenny ukulele. The white strings start to be seen by the chinese makers in south china

- in 2004 was the time of the chinese Leolani ukulele brand with order of 10,000 bulk sets every two months

-in 2006 0r 2007 was the time of Kala ukuleles and Cordoba ukuleles to order us huge quantity of bulk sets

- in begginning 2008 the Hohner Lanikai started to order us 200,000 and more bulk sets per year

- in late 2008, having seen that Kala, Hohner. Cordoba equiped their ukuleles with aquilas every chinese ukulele maker asked us nylgut strings

-in 2008 aquila bought its first extruder plant with the capacity of 50,000 single ukulele strings per day.
(Now we runs 5 plant whose total capacity per day is around 400,000 single uke strings)

- In 2010 almost 90% of all chinese makers switched from the black nylon to the white nylgut strings (original form Italy or fake aquilas)

-in 2016 I introduce the black nylgut Lava series in syncere homage to all he Hawaiian people.

Mimmo Peruffo Aquilastrings founder Italy

We Med/Renn enthusiasts know that you’re HUGE in Early Music. I don’t think I’ve encountered an early stringed instrument website or luthier who didn’t enthusiastically endorse Nylgut for their instrumentsI

EDW

Nyltech we produce for Daddario: sorry guy but I cannot tell you many things (we signed a contract) ; basically is Nylgut with some different ingredients.

Oh.... I have no time to tell you the story when an extruder had an explosion and the melted nylgut went on my face and on my eyes at 260 celsius and I was close to become a blind man on the two eyes. I went in the hospital for a week.... or when during the Shanghai fair of 2011 I discover a huge manufacturer of fake Aquilas and then I was obliged to run away very fast in the corridors of the fair with the very upset forger back to me having intention to punch me.
Or when I introduced traces of a special ingredient into the strings in order to discover which are original and which are fakes with the help of a special detector. Ah, thanks to this solution in the 2013 shanghai fair I discover a lot of fake aquilas installed up on the ukulele of many booths.
Ciao
Mimmo

Ps: "singability" ah ah: maybe is better that instead to traslate the italian 'cantabilità' in that way we try to realize how the english language people translate this italian way in the right english therm.
I never would have imagined there was so much danger, drama and intrigue in the world of strings. I am looking forward to seeing a Hollywood movie about the adventures of Mimmo!

BTW- I like the Nyltech very much

rafter

AND is a participant on this board and answers queries, as the only string manufacturer.

I have a bunch of strings (too many really) waiting for experimenting, but I have to say, Mimmo occasionally popping up and interacting with UU members makes me want to support the company more.

EDW

Ha ha, I can see Mimmo now, starring in Goldstringer. What would his agent number be, a string gauge perhaps? 😃
I can’t wait to see the part where they find someone strangled with a ukulele string and Mimmo proves he is innocent by using the black light.

theme:

GF2

you want to know the real story?
here is:
-in 1997 I have discovered a new plastic better than nylon (which was used for brooms.....) that I called 'Nylgut' (nylon plus gut). In 1999 I introduced Nylgut trebles in a few Aquila guitar sets.

-In the end of 2001 that was Christmas time I sent one set of white nylgut 4 strings to Roy T. Cone of Seabrook (close to Houston, TX) ; the store is Ukuleleworld

-At January 01 of 2002 I received back from him a mail telling me what kind of great plasstic are that samples of 'damn' white strings and who I am and why I am in Italy and not in USA or Hawaii or Japan. Then he told me that his entry level chinese ukulele now plays better than an higher quality uke. He asked me 1 thousand of sets but I had just 5 experimental soprano sets available for experiments. he told me: 'man....lissen.. you maybe have not well realized: you are sit down on a million dollars'. send me that damn uke strings right now and I will do another website for nylgut aquila'
I was then obliged to design the envelopes, all the sets.. everything in just 1 month etc etc. Roy mailed me in a 'texan way' (ah ah ). Roy was and is one of my best friends ever.

-2003 a guy from Honolulu mailed me asking me a favour: to change the color from white to the traditional black color telling me that due to the vulcan stone their beaches are black. I answered him that I was born in an island -Sardinia- here in Italy, were the beaches are very white and that I have no intention to change the color from white to black. he told me that I will failed. The comunications were with no fights, always polite.

-in 2004 or 2005 Bushmann asked me to supply him with 1,000 bulk sets for the Jenny ukulele. The white strings start to be seen by the chinese makers in south china

- in 2004 was the time of the chinese Leolani ukulele brand with order of 10,000 bulk sets every two months

-in 2006 0r 2007 was the time of Kala ukuleles and Cordoba ukuleles to order us huge quantity of bulk sets

- in begginning 2008 the Hohner Lanikai started to order us 200,000 and more bulk sets per year

- in late 2008, having seen that Kala, Hohner. Cordoba equiped their ukuleles with aquilas every chinese ukulele maker asked us nylgut strings

-in 2008 aquila bought its first extruder plant with the capacity of 50,000 single ukulele strings per day.
(Now we runs 5 plant whose total capacity per day is around 400,000 single uke strings)

- In 2010 almost 90% of all chinese makers switched from the black nylon to the white nylgut strings (original form Italy or fake aquilas)

-in 2016 I introduce the black nylgut Lava series in syncere homage to all he Hawaiian people.

Mimmo Peruffo Aquilastrings founder Italy
Thanks so much for posting this And for taking the time to engage with the community!

Also, I can't believe you're from Sardinia! Which part? My wife and I have visited Sardinia 6 or 7 times - it is our favourite part of the world, and we've spent time in most corners of the island. We haven't been since we had children, but we're desperate to take them and show them around all the places we tell them about so much.

mimmo

GF2, well I was born in Arborea village, 6 km far form the Mediterranean sea in west direction. I sometime come back to my island.
Mimmo

Knows Picker

Another poster who LOVES Aqulias, I've got them on almost everything.

The most unusual is a 1920 Vega tenor banjo. Tuned like a regular soprano with A at 440Hz, just a shade over 20 inches nut to bridge.

I argued with a guy on the banjohangout for a week that it couldn't be done, the string would break, blah blah.

Sent a him a link to the Aquila website where it is possible to determine the breaking point and he finally shut up.

I've also got an Orpheum tenor for the 1920s, its about 20.75 inches and its a no go.

If Mimmo could just increase that breaking point a little bit, it would open that huge market of people who want to play ukulele on the tenor banjo!!

Probably like, all five of us !!!

M3Ukulele

Really like the BOND theme done by the ukulele orchestra. Thanks for posting. Ever Aquila post I get involved in, I learn more about their strings.