Are Low g and High g ukuleles created equal?

Benros

Reaction score
Hi there, i‘m new to the ukulele lutherie game and have a question to the experienced builders under you: Is there a difference in your builds for low g and high g ukuleles? And if so, what do you do different?

Thanks,
Ben

Hi there, i‘m new to the ukulele lutherie game and have a question to the experienced builders under you: Is there a difference in your builds for low g and high g ukuleles? And if so, what do you do different?

Thanks,
Ben
Same ukuleles, just strung with different strings. (Edit: I’m not a luthier, just a player. I play with low G.)

Some ukuleles are designed for low-G with a larger than usual body for scale length. That includes the Kamaka bell-shaped ukuleles and most of the Romero Creations ukuleles. On the other hand, a lot people will just put low-G strings on standard ukuleles. Even though the Kamaka bell ukuleles were designed for Herb Ohta, all the videos I have seen show Herb playing a standard Martin soprano.

Thanks,
Ben
Structurally there is no modification made regarding low or high G strings. However the nut slot might be enlarged to accommodate the larger diameter low wound G string... My ukuleles are strung with a low G string because I think they sound better. The owner can string them any way they want.

Last edited:
I just completed a low G soprano pineapple. Everything was the same except the saddle is angled increasingly from the A string to the G string for compensation and I made the sound hole slightly smaller for more bass tones. Also, the pineapple shape has more volume (LxWxH) than a typical soprano, so I believe it works well with a low G string as well.

I find that using low G on Tenor ukes a little more compensating is needed at the saddle so I make mine with two saddle positions depending on high or low G on the the G string... One or two other builders do this also... like Kerry Char https://www.dreamguitars.com/shop/char-tenor-ukulele-ukulele.html
I believe that Bob Gleason does this as well. http://bigislandukuleleguild.org/meeting-photos/mar-2014/bob-gleasons-adjustable.html

bridge-1 by Ken Timms,
mind blown!

I just completed a low G soprano pineapple. Everything was the same except the saddle is angled increasingly from the A string to the G string for compensation and I made the sound hole slightly smaller for more bass tones. Also, the pineapple shape has more volume (LxWxH) than a typical soprano, so I believe it works well with a low G string as well.
Being a Avid lover of all things Pineapple here in Queensland (Aust), could you share any pic's of your Soprano Boom Box please Mike ?

Cheers,
Gazukes

Thank you all for your replies! It seemed counterintuitive to me to make any difference constructionwise between a low and a high g build. But somebody told me, that some builders claim to build them different, so i thought, i ask. The different compensation points seem to make a lot of sense. Greetings, Ben

Top Bottom